Rescue Runner build

Wrek

I’m lost
I love your rig and photography. I have a ton of your photos saved and have rotated through them a couple of times as my desktop background.

Maybe one of these days I will run into you on a trail. I've only had my 4runner since a little earlier this year, so I still need to invest in some skids and sliders.

pwr2lbs

Observer
I love your rig and photography. I have a ton of your photos saved and have rotated through them a couple of times as my desktop background.

Maybe one of these days I will run into you on a trail. I've only had my 4runner since a little earlier this year, so I still need to invest in some skids and sliders.

Sounds like a local meet up and trail run soon!

pwr2lbs

Observer
id be down, only issue is $$$ and time for me, not working and planning a wedding, so i have time, yet no time, and no money and even less money lol

Married?!? You think you have money problems now? Haha, J/K

No worries, I am in the middle of swapping all my parts from my 03 Xtracab, and putting them on my recently acquired 03 double cab. I had to get the double cab to fit my wife and kid. Maybe sometime after the coming snowfall thaws.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
Married?!? You think you have money problems now? Haha, J/K

No worries, I am in the middle of swapping all my parts from my 03 Xtracab, and putting them on my recently acquired 03 double cab. I had to get the double cab to fit my wife and kid. Maybe sometime after the coming snowfall thaws.

naw shes pretty good with money(and pretty too), and a nurse so that kinda eases my not working right now. we have two kids and a dog so the runner is a little small for us. been looking to upgrade to either a hundy or first gen sequoia 4x4. -sequoias can be lifted higher, and are slightly larger, hundys are more rock solid, have nicer amenities, bomb proof and come loaded stock comparatively. and both are around the same price range, i just havent found the one yet. -also looking for a mazdaspeed 6, for a DD for her(we like the AWD of the PNW) but not being in debt has a very attractive sound to it. so maybe thats why we have not pushed for a swap yet.

id love to do something in the spring before i leave for afganistan... id really like to do the WaBCDR but i think that might be a little much for the wife and kids to jump into or even let me go and be away for that long. i know she and the kids will want to spend as much time with me before i leave so i fear that might not be an option either -idk when the snow melts enough to make the whole trip either... but that and the Or one are on the bucket list for sure!

Wrek

I’m lost
How old are your kids?

I've got a 2 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. We tend to take them with us if we go out exploring in the Olympics. I have a buddy with an FJ Cruiser who also has a 6 year old son, and another friend with an 03 Tacoma and a 2 year old son.

Maybe plan a light family wheeling day?

the kid

Juke Box Hero
How old are your kids?

I've got a 2 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. We tend to take them with us if we go out exploring in the Olympics. I have a buddy with an FJ Cruiser who also has a 6 year old son, and another friend with an 03 Tacoma and a 2 year old son.

Maybe plan a light family wheeling day?

id like that, i love to go exploring. it would just have to be sometime after feb. we have a 4.5 yo son and a 2.5 yo daughter, and a 3 or 4yo english lab who is bi-polar(either lazy or super excited and happy).

Wrek

I’m lost
id like that, i love to go exploring. it would just have to be sometime after feb. we have a 4.5 yo son and a 2.5 yo daughter, and a 3 or 4yo english lab who is bi-polar(either lazy or super excited and happy).

It'd be fun!

If we go out in February I will probably be on crutches still from a surgery I have next month, but I will still go. We also have a 3 or 4 year old lab who we adopted a few years ago. He usually goes on all of the trips with us.

I see that you said you're going East in the spring. Are you reserves or doing contract work? Are you looking for work here in WA at all? I happen to work at a place that is pretty big on hiring veterans.

pwr2lbs

Observer
naw shes pretty good with money(and pretty too), and a nurse so that kinda eases my not working right now. we have two kids and a dog so the runner is a little small for us. been looking to upgrade to either a hundy or first gen sequoia 4x4. -sequoias can be lifted higher, and are slightly larger, hundys are more rock solid, have nicer amenities, bomb proof and come loaded stock comparatively. and both are around the same price range, i just havent found the one yet. -also looking for a mazdaspeed 6, for a DD for her(we like the AWD of the PNW) but not being in debt has a very attractive sound to it. so maybe thats why we have not pushed for a swap yet.

id love to do something in the spring before i leave for afganistan... id really like to do the WaBCDR but i think that might be a little much for the wife and kids to jump into or even let me go and be away for that long. i know she and the kids will want to spend as much time with me before i leave so i fear that might not be an option either -idk when the snow melts enough to make the whole trip either... but that and the Or one are on the bucket list for sure!

I would love to do WABBCDR! Not sure my better half and two and a half year old daughter would be up to it, but I am down to try regardless. We are lucky to live in an area that has so many good outdoor areas. Thank you for your service, be safe over there man! If you two ever plan any trips lemme know, my new "old" Taco should be done in a couple months.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
I'm Oregon Guard. Been to the sand, now going to the mountains... I am looking for work, I was working doing military funeral honors but the budget got cut and that was thought to be a "luxury" expenditure... So I guess its now a crap shoot if a veteran will get military honors when they die... -I digress. Anyhow yeah now I'm left looking for work. The only problem is I'm stuck in sw wa area. My home unit is in grants pass or., so I drive down there at least once a month for drill. And my fiance works for a hospital[OR nurse] here locally and has no desire to move or look for a new job (we have enough stress right now as it is with school -her going back for her bsn, and working full time as well as helping plan a wedding... I don't think we want to throw a move and or new job search in that mix). But if your company has out posts or branches ect I could be interested -i don't even know if I'm qualified or yeah but work is work. I have a lead on a possible job at Toyota but it doesn't open until sometime in the new year, and there is no guarantee of the job so yeah.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
ok so a little update-

well i found out i have two different gear ratios in my diffs -long story, but its my fault, and i didnt figure this out untill friday when we had a good deal of snow and ice here in the PNW... yeah i got 4:10s in the front and i think 4:30s in the back, ill know more later today when i pull them, and replace them with the 4:10s i just bought.

so for those of you who dont know, always count teeth when dealing with toyota gears ect. do not just measure the thickness of the ring gear. factory toyota gears all in the two common ratios 4:10 and 4:30 are the same thickness, the difference is in the number of teeth. toyota does this to keep pinion gears the same size and retain strength in them. most aftermarket gear sets will make the pinion larger or smaller, and increase or decrease ring gear thickness to change ratios, toyota does not do this, they keep the pinion ring gear the same size. im not sure about the 4:56 gears but i suspect they do that with those as well. i know the 4:88 factory toyota diffs the ring gear is the same thickness as the 4:10, but the differential itself has a thicker flange to push it over to the smaller pinion(this to my knowledge is the only variance in the size of pinion gears, all ofthers just change the number of teeth). so yeah i made the mistake of just checking ring gear thickness to see if the "new" third member i put in about 18months ago was the same... nope its not. i first noticed this issue last year around this time, but thought i just had a bad CV axle. i dont drive my in 4wd on the street so it was never apparent to me that i had this issue, i spend most of my 4wd time off road in slick conditions ie mud, sand, or snow, or going over rocks ect, places id expect to have some wheel slippage and picking up of tires, and slow speeds so the "binding" was never a real issue for me. but getting out on roads that some had ice and snow and some were just wet i noticed something seriously wrong... i had some bucking and pitching pretty bad between 25-45mph and above 45-50 i was just in a constant slide/drift, like you would experience on solid glazed ice... it took me a few min to figure out ****** when i was in 4wd and i have mustangs on summer tires doing better than me. well long story short here, it cut my trip to grants pass on friday really short, i made it to just south of salem and said F that... turned around and stayed home.

yesterday i bought a 4:10 rear 3rd out of another 3rd gen 4runner and will be installing it today.

in other news i have figured out the long hard starting with my 4runner. bad main power wire to the starter. in this cold weather its just become a big issue. its completely dead. the battery is brand new, like 2months old, the starter is brand new -i just completely rebuild it and cleaned it(fully dismantlement it and tore it down, cleaned it all out and reassembled it) so my two options are a starter relay and or the starter power wire. so gonna try and tackle that today as well... bad thing is my garage is full and there is snow on the ground.... and a high of 30 today... oh so fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998