Truck camper payload question?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I just went thru this frustrating search of cargo weight rating info too, and last week bought a 2003 Chevy x-cab 2500HD, 4wd, gas engine, short box.......glove box sticker on my truck sez I can put @2700lbs on it.

Your crew cab, diesel and hd Allison tranny will add about 1200 lbs to your weight empty and as mentioned above will thus really lower your Cargo Wt Rating (@800 lbs for motor/tranny, and @400 lbs crew cab). Add a long bed to it and you just lost another 200 lbs or so.

Dually is better choice for a heavy payload and much nicer to drive on winding mountain roads--much less sway. But the dually is not as much fun to drive on narrow rutted forest roads.

Also the rule of thumb used in RV Forum chats is add 1,000 to the weight of your camper to cover all your added gear once you are loaded and ready to go. That sounds like a lot, but last time I returned home from an extended camping trip with my old 3/4 T Chevy, it took me almost three days to fully unload my rig!

The big question that remains is why the @&$&@ truck manufacturers make it so GD hard to get accurate weight ratings.....what the sh@t do they think trucks are going to be used for????

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
I just went thru this frustrating search of cargo weight rating info too, and last week bought a 2003 Chevy x-cab 2500HD, 4wd, gas engine, short box.......glove box sticker on my truck sez I can put @2700lbs on it.

Your crew cab, diesel and hd Allison tranny will add about 1200 lbs to your weight empty and as mentioned above will thus really lower your Cargo Wt Rating (@800 lbs for motor/tranny, and @400 lbs crew cab). Add a long bed to it and you just lost another 200 lbs or so.

Dually is better choice for a heavy payload and much nicer to drive on winding mountain roads--much less sway. But the dually is not as much fun to drive on narrow rutted forest roads.

Also the rule of thumb used in RV Forum chats is add 1,000 to the weight of your camper to cover all your added gear once you are loaded and ready to go. That sounds like a lot, but last time I returned home from an extended camping trip with my old 3/4 T Chevy, it took me almost three days to fully unload my rig!

The big question that remains is why the @&$&@ truck manufacturers make it so GD hard to get accurate weight ratings.....what the sh@t do they think trucks are going to be used for????

It's not really that hard to figure out...quit looking at available payload and look at your axle ratings.
Then load up and go....

Bill

rrliljedahl

Observer
I bought the truck and took it to a scale.
2007 Classic Sierra 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, LBZ Duramax and Allison Transmission, 4X4, SRW

GVWR of of 9900 pounds
GAWR 6500 pounds
GAWR 4800 pounds
Michellin P265/75R16 LTX E2 (3400 pounds at 80 PSI).

With a 1/4 tank of fuel and no one in the cab
the truck weighs 7060 pounds
front axle weight 4160
rear axle weight 2900

It would appear that leaving everything stock
My rear tires will let me carry a payload of (2x3400=6800-2900=) 3900 lbs putting my gross vehicle weight at 10960 which is over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs.

Rear axle weight restriction as specified by GM would let me carry a payload of (6500-2900=) 3600 lbs. putting my gross vehicle weight at 10660 lbs which is over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs.

Others have stated that the 11.5 AAM axle on this vehicle is the same as on a dually from that year and that the dually axle can take 9375 pounds which I am assuming has to do with the 2 extra tires in the rear. Redoing the calculations giving me a payload of (9375-2900=) 6475 lbs putting my gross vehicle weight at 14075 lbs which is way over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs. I realize that I can not approach this even if I upgrade the tires and suspension.

What am I not understanding here?

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
hmmm...GVWR of 9900# for a 1 ton?
R U sure? Our 3/4 ton (same vintage) is 9900# GVWR.

In any case the axle is rated at 11,500#...your weak link (if you need more capacity) will be tires/wheels...which can be upgraded.
As your truck stands now...you can carry 3900# payload.

My scale weights are a little different;
Scale weights of truck;
FR=4400#
RR=3000#

Not sure why the front axle weights differ so much?

BTW; if you really did put gas in your truck...take it out...and put diesel.

B

Edit; where did you get your ratings from?
All the info you posted reflects 3/4 ton ratings for that year...not 1 ton?
Sumpin' aint' right

rrliljedahl

Observer
BillTex

The GVRW is 9900 pounds. It is on the plate in the door. This is a "Classic" 2007. Mid year they switched the platform.

My mistake on the gas versus diesel comment. This is the first diesel that I have owned.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My truck weighs 6600# empty,8650# with full tank and a wet popup. Add me and my wife and we're a bit over @ 8950. Doesn't take long to load them up. Dodge must have provided my configuration with the weakest springs imaginable. With stock suspension,it was all over the road and bottomed out easily. Aftermarket to the rescue.

wirenut

Adventurer
What do you mean "what am I not understanding?" It appears to me that you have a pretty good understanding. You've done all the correct math. However, AAM actually rated that axle at a bit over 10,000 pounds. I would install 19.5" wheels and tires with a weight rating as high as you can get. This should let you take full advantage of the 10,000 pound rear axle capacity. I would also install Supersprings or air bags in the rear to supplement your factory springs. Heavy Duty shocks like Bilstein or KYB Monomax and a rear anti-sway bar would also be worthwhile upgrades.
There are plenty of people out there carrying 10,000 to 12,000 pounds on this truck chassis with truck campers. It's really not a big deal. Certainly not "illegal" as many will try to tell you. Just make sure your license plates are "weighted" high enough or that could get you a ticket. I've got my truck tagged for 14,000 pounds. My dually is rated 11,400 GVWR. I'm at 13,500 with the family, camper, and boat hitched up.

incognito

Adventurer
I bought the truck and took it to a scale.
2007 Classic Sierra 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, LBZ Duramax and Allison Transmission, 4X4, SRW

GVWR of of 9900 pounds
GAWR 6500 pounds
GAWR 4800 pounds
Michellin P265/75R16 LTX E2 (3400 pounds at 80 PSI).

With a 1/4 tank of fuel and no one in the cab
the truck weighs 7060 pounds
front axle weight 4160
rear axle weight 2900

It would appear that leaving everything stock
My rear tires will let me carry a payload of (2x3400=6800-2900=) 3900 lbs putting my gross vehicle weight at 10960 which is over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs.

Rear axle weight restriction as specified by GM would let me carry a payload of (6500-2900=) 3600 lbs. putting my gross vehicle weight at 10660 lbs which is over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs.

Others have stated that the 11.5 AAM axle on this vehicle is the same as on a dually from that year and that the dually axle can take 9375 pounds which I am assuming has to do with the 2 extra tires in the rear. Redoing the calculations giving me a payload of (9375-2900=) 6475 lbs putting my gross vehicle weight at 14075 lbs which is way over the stated GVWR of 9900 lbs. I realize that I can not approach this even if I upgrade the tires and suspension.

What am I not understanding here?
e

Hy,
first you are substracting 9375 dually axle with your 2900 srw axle. a dually axle weight more than 2900 lbs due to the 4 tires.
Second manufacturers plays very safe in USA for many other reasons. example 6475 lbs of payload on the back on the truck and you'll have a hard time braking in a safe manner. also this kind of weight could maybe create roll over situations due to sway. Frame thickness is another factor, ford f550 and f350 doesn't have the same frame thickness, same brakes, hubs, bolts, etc
For a dually GMC and Dodge ram 3500 GVWR is 12200 lbs, which for me is what is considered safe by their huge team of engineers.
have safe travels
incognito

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman