My Taco Phoenix Pop Up Camper

WASURF63

Adventurer
Again, ok custom builder but attention to detail is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been watching this thread to see if Phoenix would finally make good on their shotty build for you.
I'm sorry to hear they let you down again. A paint job like that is totally unacceptable. So unprofessional...:(

"ok custom builder" *That is an overstatement.
"attention to detail is lacking" *That is a huge understatement.

You are very patient and a lot more forgiving than most.
I had to wash my hands on the whole thing (my sub-par Phoenix) and replace
it with something that didn't start falling apart from the day I drove it home.
Ten times happier with my FWC and not one single problem.

bob91yj

Resident **************
You are indeed patient, and have been fair with giving the company time to make good on delivering a quality product. While we have only heard one side of this story, the documentation/pictures are proof enough IMO.

When I was in the Navy we had a saying, it takes 100 "atta boy's" to make up for one "aww s*%t". I'm no where near being ready to pull the trigger on a new camper, not sure that Phoenix is going to be on my short list after what I've seen here the last few weeks when I am. It's going to take some impressive builds after seeing not only not only this thread, but the Facebook thing and then the thread that went "poof".

Terra Ops

Adventurer
The thread went "poof" because of all the erroneous comments. The build is still on but completion got pushed back a couple weeks, so I'll miss the Expo in Arizona but planning on the Expo East in October.
Perhaps I'll post the build at a later date. So far Rob at Phoenix has been very patient with my requests and re designs. This is the reason for the delay.
As for the taco paint job, I feel her pain. My Tiger was repainted 4 times. Seems that the standard for RV paint jobs is not the same as autos. Also, different surfaces require different paint applications. In summary, you get what you pay for. This is one reason I'm going with white this go around. The other reason is heat transfer. Dark colors absorb the sun much more.
Here are some pics of the previous Tiger http://tigerowners.freeforums.org/2012-ram-crew-cab-bengal-tx-t211.html

Last edited:

MYTACO

Adventurer
Wish someone, like Rob, would've told me about the paint before I spent the money. I've had other vehicles painted before... Once an old BMW done by the $499.00 Earl Shribe special. That paint job was better than the $1500 shelled out for the TC--and warranty for a year.

bob91yj

Resident **************
As "blah" as white is, I'm glad my truck is white. Even if it wasn't I'm not sure that I would have nutted for the color match to the truck to begin with. I'm allergic to change, and understand this was your forever rig, but I would still consider potential resale value on the camper. All of the camper companies can keep the cheesy graphics on the sides. Just plain white for me please, regardless of truck color.

My ultimate goal is to put a service body on my truck, and then have a custom camper built for it. We're making do quite nicely with what we have for now. The service body is the next priority. My camper is actually built for a Ford Ranger, so it is short and narrow. It'll fit in the bed of a service body with room to spare until we can have the camper of our dreams built for it.
baja10002012025.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
Bob.
A great lite weight service body is made by= www.brandfxbody.com model BFXB 40LS for short beds. I agree white looks easy on the eyes.
brian

As "blah" as white is, I'm glad my truck is white. Even if it wasn't I'm not sure that I would have nutted for the color match to the truck to begin with. I'm allergic to change, and understand this was your forever rig, but I would still consider potential resale value on the camper. All of the camper companies can keep the cheesy graphics on the sides. Just plain white for me please, regardless of truck color.

My ultimate goal is to put a service body on my truck, and then have a custom camper built for it. We're making do quite nicely with what we have for now. The service body is the next priority. My camper is actually built for a Ford Ranger, so it is short and narrow. It'll fit in the bed of a service body with room to spare until we can have the camper of our dreams built for it.
baja10002012025.jpg

MYTACO

Adventurer
Received a response from Phoenix regarding my issues with the paint. Literally, thanks for the feed back. Happy camping.

While I wasn't expecting a fix, I did expect an expression of regret for either failing to QC the work, or for a crappy painter.

Anyone know how to get paint off the fabric of an awning ?

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Wow! What a bummer.

Those of us who have been in business know that you can't please everyone all the time but an apology for disappointing a customer at least conveyed a feeling of regret for letting them down.

I hope you can get by the problems and enjoy camping with it. BTW, Sorry, but I don't have a clue how to remove paint from a fabric awning.

Also, did you take any photos that you could post of the painted over bugs, the paint on the awning, or the covers, etc that you needed to scrape off?

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer

Wow. I know it my just be the wording but if I hadnt read this thread I would have assumed that was an older used camper with miles on it. Not a new camper that was hardly used and returned to be FIXED not renovated... camper make over... wow very disappointed. I am somewhat surprised they havent responded to this thread. I know they post on Expo but if anyone reads this thread they would be nuts to buy a Phoenix.

Runt

Adventurer
I know they post on Expo but if anyone reads this thread they would be nuts to buy a Phoenix.

I respectfully disagree......I have owned two of the campers. They incorporate some really amazing features and use some great parts. My first one was perfect!

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
I respectfully disagree......I have owned two of the campers. They incorporate some really amazing features and use some great parts. My first one was perfect!

Maybe I was a bit harsh, maybe they wouldnt be nuts after reading this but they would be accepting some risk. I know Phoenix does some cool custom work so if that is what someone needs then I guess this would help them go into it with open eyes. Hopefully they would manage the process closely to ensure their expectations are met.

MYTACO

Adventurer
I agree, custom fits are their specialty. But if you are looking for quality and a business that stands behind their product AFTER you take it from their shop, this is not likely the business you are looking to patronize.

the wasp

Observer
"if anyone reads this thread they would be nuts to buy a Phoenix."

As Runt , I own a Phoenix for 2 years and very happy with his strength , tightness and its quality made ​​to measure .
But this, I said in a previous post .
We consider a second camp with Phoenix on a new PU.
Unfortunately , due to personal problems , the trip to the states and the order will be canceled this year.

This thread is an exchange of a few people who voluntarily trigger suspission ,In order to denigrate a competitor manufacturer.

Ok ,

I'm a nuts and a nuts future ...

You are very very heavy ... and disrespectful to future buyers ..
It is easy to dismiss a builder on a Forum readable by all.And there is no moderation on this thread.

The Phoenix Campers owners are treated of nuts and prospective buyers are afraid to buy crap....
This is the message you want to convey?

I Followed with interest a new thread."New review new build with Phoenix Pop up"

This innovative project of flatbed was technically very interesting .I live in France,where there are many achievements,for several years.I wanted to show the French making(of old continent) in order to exchange ideas.
Very Quickly , a spirit of suspission appeared in many answers .
Before we can judge the progress of the work , the future owner has been suspected and manufacturer denigrated.
Terra Ops may be preferred to delate his thread ,due to negative judgements.
I hope that he will make a new thread to monitor its project.

This is very unfortunate for the spirit of sharing a forum,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears