Cooler/Fridge

rainstatebear

Adventurer
Been searching around a bit for different electric coolers and came across a Dometic CF-25 has anyone used this? Any advise which direction to go as far as selection of a cooler?
Any input would be great. :camping:

Septu

Explorer
Been searching around a bit for different electric coolers and came across a Dometic CF-25 has anyone used this? Any advise which direction to go as far as selection of a cooler?
Any input would be great. :camping:

I have it, and love it! However, it is small. But when I bought it 2.5 yrs ago, I paid ~$550/600 with the cover, and shipping (shipping was over $100). Even with it being small, I have no issues for me... however when I go camping or out treking it's usually just me. And I'm not one to make elaborate meals, so it usually contains a 2l of milk, some meat, cheese, beer and some other odds and ends, and I still have room left over. I put a warm beer in it whenever I pull out a cold one (if I plan on drinking the 5/6 it usually holds, or there's more than just me drinking). I've also used it as a freezer to bring back Dairy Queen blizzards (our DQ closed years ago).

Basically for me, it's done everything I've asked it to do - and does it very well. I usually leave it in my jeep all summer. It's never killed my battery (but I've never gone longer than 36 hrs with it running, and my jeep parked). The only downside is it's small. I think it would be fine for two people... on a shorter trip where you could restock frequently, or ideal for one person. But likely too small once you get to 2+ ppl, or plan on a longer trip with less options to restock. I'm not sure you'd want to use it for 2 ppl and attempt to pack food for more than 2-3 days. But then I guess it depends on what you pack for food and how much needs to be cold.

I'm sure at some point I'll get a larger fridge for the trailer (once I get that setup correctly), but as long as this is working, I'll never get rid of it. It's just too convenient to do without.

Last edited:

rainstatebear

Adventurer
I plan on a 2 1/2 ppl cooler, no more than a few days would be ideal, but I like to have more than enough than not enough. I ask around because I want quality but if I can save a few $ all the better. Still if I have to pay for something once I would prefer to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

rainstatebear

Adventurer
You may be interested in this.
If you go this page at Compact Appliance
http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430.html
On the right side it has a "Alert me if the price drops" add your email address and you will get a email with a additional $10.oo discount number in less then 1 munite.
The price is $455.05 - the $10.oo for $445.05 Free shipping!

Free shipping has definitely helped me make decisions in the past!:wings:

Septu

Explorer
I plan on a 2 1/2 ppl cooler, no more than a few days would be ideal, but I like to have more than enough than not enough. I ask around because I want quality but if I can save a few $ all the better. Still if I have to pay for something once I would prefer to do that.

It's a quality product. Just a small one. I think you'd be right on the edge size wise with 2.5 ppl. You could be alright... but things would be tight. If you're getting a great deal on it, then sure. But if you're paying full price (I don't even know what these go for now), then I'd at least look at the next size up.

rainstatebear

Adventurer
Yes my wife 3year old daughter and myself thats why I put 2 1/2 people. By the way the reviews on your link seem very promising

rainstatebear

Adventurer
Thanks for the explanation on 2.5 ppl.

I am very happy with mine and had no problems with it (once I got it going). What had happened was a flat blade push in electrical connector was put in but not correctly. It was inside the insulator, but not in the correct way. I also had a loose screw on another connector. I would check these when you get it just to make sure they are tight before you take it on a trip.

How long have you had it now?

rainstatebear

Adventurer
It is over 4 years. I used it with my guide business up to 2 years ago when I retired. This was 250 days a year I used it. Since then it is about 30 days a year. Now that the moving is done and my projects are caught up. I expect that to go up to about 60+ days this year.
Frenchie

Did you purchase it from the link that you included in your post?

brushogger

Explorer
You may be interested in this.
If you go this page at Compact Appliance
http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430.html
On the right side it has a "Alert me if the price drops" add your email address and you will get a email with a additional $10.oo discount number in less then 1 munite.
The price is $455.05 - the $10.oo for $445.05 Free shipping!

I have had one for two years and it has been great. However, a friend of mine recently ordered one and the packaging was horrible. The box was packed in a larger box with no padding. It was smashed on the lower corner where the controls are. He called compact and explained what happened. They said to send it back and they would replace it. He did this and the replacement was packed the same way and had similar damage. He returned it and they refunded his money. It's a good product, but I guess they now have packaging issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainstatebear

Adventurer
I have had one for two years and it has been great. However, a friend of mine recently ordered one and the packaging was horrible. The box was packed in a larger box with no padding. It was smashed on the lower corner where the controls are. He called compact and explained what happened. They said to send it back and they would replace it. He did this and the replacement was packed the same way and had similar damage. He returned it and they refunded his money. It's a good product, but I guess they now have packaging issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have been reading some online reviews, seems hit or miss.

afbond03

Adventurer
The Compact Appliance one was down to $415 last week so hold out if you decide to go with that one. I was about to pull the trigger on one and lucked out and a 50qrt ARB popped up on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $650..just couldn't resist that.

afbond03

Adventurer
At the moment I could get one from CA that is a 60qt for $ 495

If you wanted to go that big you could get the Whynter from Amazon for $476. If you have Prime that is 2 day shipping for free.
http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-65...qid=1393091363&sr=8-4&keywords=whynter+fridge
Amazon also has excellent customer service if you were to have any issues I am sure they would take good care of you.

From what I could find these are the same fridge. I looked extensively into this fridge but decided since I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited it was simply to big for my application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior