Aspect Solar worth a serious look for those researching secondary battery or solar.

beagle24

Hey All,

For those of you looking for some battery and solar alternatives, I thought I would give you some first hand positve experience with a company I stumbled upon during my personal search. Thus far, very impressed.

About a month back I had submitted a post trying to seek knowledge on battery systems for when I take off for extensive camp trips. I had looked dual battery systems, goal zero (tried a yeti 400 for about a month last summary but was dissapointed) and finally was looking at Smartbattery as a lifepo4 drop in for my truck battery. I simply could not get my hands around lugging a heavy AGM battery to camp sites as a power source. Lithium had to be the way.

In my search, I stumbled about 3 weeks ago upon a smaller company in Broomfield, Colorado called Aspect Solar when I was digging around for portable lithium battery power. They were offering a pretty slick combo on their site of 55 watt solar panels and a 20 AH/250 Watt Hour lifepo battery pack (called the Energy Bar) for about $599. I knew I wanted the weight savings and significant advantage of cycles that lithium offered, and so i gave them a call. Jerry, the tech person probably spent 45 minutes on the phone with me walking through the system, how it works, expected charge times (faster for lithium than lead acid) and even mentioned that another customer had bought a system for his Engel MR 040 such as mine. We determined that for starters I would try and use one of their energy bars to see how long it would run my fridge before running out of power. I bought the combo pack from them. It arrived 2 days later in an extremely well packaged/protected box. The battery weigh a whopping 8 pounds.

Once i had the Energy Bar out of the box and fully charged, I decided to do a basic test that attempted to replicate a weekend camp trip that my family and I might take, and perhaps one where I would not have the benefit of solar (rainy day) or as often in our case a late night arrival at our campsite for the weekend. I placed into the cooler two small frozen NuIce packs (I always use these, worth every penny) as a core cooling source and the remainder of the cooler was empty. The Engel fridge was set to refrigeration mode (number 1 on the dial). I had determined that the Engel fridge used about 30-40 watts of power (but only on perhaps 50% of the tme) and thus I had roughly 6 - 12 hours of life in the battery before it would die (considering it can be taken down to near zero and not be ruined is a good thing).

All I was wanting was a battery pack that would get through the evening before running out of power. I would have been happy to have woken up to 1 bar on the battery. To my surprise, in the AM the next day the battery was still at full. The fridge temp was showing 37 degrees (with some help from the Nu Ice I realize). I figured "what the hell lets see how long it will last" and left it alone for another day. 8:00am next day (now 36 hours) the temp on the fridge was still 37 degrees and the Aspect energy bar had finally dropped to about 3 bars from 5. I decided then I would go to work and just crack up if it were still running when I came home. You probably know where I'm going with this. At 3 PM, I came home for a late lunch and sure enough the fridge was still running and the battery had finally dropped to 1 Bar. I figured at that point the test was a success since I was seeking 10 hours and I was now at 44 hours and running with still some power remaining. Keep in mind as well that if there was any of the 55 watts of their solar power (this was in the basement of my house at 70 degrees) I could have infinate power for my fridge especially given the charging efficiency of lithium ion over lead acid and the thousands of cycles versus a couple hundred for L.A. or AGM. Considering as well that you can daisy chain I believe 5 of these things together you really have a pretty scaled system that still would only weigh 40 pounds for 100 AH/1250 WH of power. Pretty cool.

I recognize this test may be a one off, so I'm going to do a couple more tests but this time capture it using a go pro on time lapse. I'll do a test with Nu Ice and one test without just to see the difference and try to submit here if I can.

Either way, I suspect many of you are looking for some battery and/or solar options. There are many good solutions from lots of companies out there in what I suspect will be a rapidly evolving space. If you are carrying out your due diligence, give them a look.

http://www.aspectsolar.com/

Thanks,

Brian

jds0912

Adventurer
Thanks for the review. Seems like a crazy amount of time to drain given what the numbers on their site are. I may have to get one of these before summer.

racehorse

Adventurer
I have an aspect solar bar - did a similar test with an edgestar fridge fired up to about 39 degrees inside the garage. The charge kept for about 40 hours as well. It's a neat battery system - compact and really value-added - has an inverter, 12v plug, outlet. I got it in place of a battery box I was going to build or something along the lines of an ark pak that I was going to buy. The bar isn't going to power your entire campsite for the weekend but it's pretty cool to have on hand for auxiliary uses at the camp - computers, lighting, phones, 12v blankets, or the fridge for a short time. It's worth the $250-299. It's a neat unit. One of the advantages is its weight and versatility.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Thanks for this great post and review! I have been looking at a dual battery set up for my van. I can make a decent system for a little less than the Energy Bar. However, my dual battery system has to stay inside the the van. I am waiting for a return phone call.

Have you tried the solar panels yet?

I am also curious your Engel fridge/freezer. I am tired of my ice chest. Could you tell me how you like it? It will be more efficient and not so messy. It will be so nice to have a freezer option for keeping meats frozen. I think it will save space too as about 25% of our cooler space is ice.

Additionally, I would like to use it as a secondary fridge in our home and run it off solar.

Thanks!

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
Engel is a very good brand, and very reliable. I've got a 32, as well as a National Luna. There was an excellent review of 12v fridges a while back on this site. Beware of the cheap home depot / walmart ones, as they are very power hungry.

Here's the review; http://www.expeditionportal.com/equ...rland-journal-portable-12v-fridge-review.html

I'm fascinated with this unit. What really caught my attention was the tracker solar module, but the 60 watt tracker panel is listed at 2000.00. All in all, it could be a real handy unit without many extras. I'm not sure where the previous poster got the 250 299 price quoted, it's in the 579 to 699 range by itself, but if you need it would be worth it.

I do have a 2nd battery for the winch, ham and fridge however it's not enough by itself, so I've been looking for a rooftop solar panel kit for the rig to supplement it. That's how I ended up in the solar section on the Expo. Considering you won't be carrying your fridge very, and it's far heavier than the above battery pack...

Last edited:
Intrigued by going the Lithium route- please keep us posted about additional tests with your new Aspect rig. If you're able to answer the following, I'd appreciate it: 1. How long to recharge with the included solar panels. 2. How long to recharge using cig. lighter while driving.

Any other bits of info you may learn about the system would be valuable. Looking like I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these.

One more question- is the Aspect Solar battery pack capable of being charged with a non-Aspect solar panel- say a 100watt panel from a different company?

thanks!

surly

surly adventurer
One more question- is the Aspect Solar battery pack capable of being charged with a non-Aspect solar panel- say a 100watt panel from a different company?

thanks!

I asked them this in an email last week and haven't heard back yet.

Went ahead and ordered one anyway, for my own test. Since we have a less expensive fridge, that draws more power, my results might differ enough that it wouldn't work for me over a long weekend. My draw was about 1 amp an hour at 80degrees and no transit jacket on the fridge. We shall see what we get when its hotter but with the jacket.

I'm still watching this conversation for performance reports regarding the Aspect Solar battery and/or the matching solar panels. Any info/report will be help me decide if this is the way I'm going to go for my truck camper's power. So- thanks, and I await your results.

surly

surly adventurer
Got my kit and here is what i have learned:
1. Setting my fridge on 0deg by accident kills the battery in < 21 hours (Whynter 45q). It might have made it to 20 which is the minimum I expected. Ooops.
2. Setting the fridge to 40deg I got over 24 hours but..... when I checked the fridge a few times it had turned off and I had to "turn it back on". It seems the 12v socket is loose. It is not the fridge cord because every 12v plug I have is loose in the Aspect Solar power bank. If it moves a little the tip moves off the positive connection in the socket and power is lost.
3. The flap that secures/covers socket is also loose but shouldn't pop open if it's in the case. Its kind of a ****ty fit and where my disappointment began (fridge shutting off is where it continued). It has the "turn to lock/unlock" embossed on it but locking marine plugs dont.... dont lock. Why?!?!
4. Solar panel charged an empty power bank on a sunny Oregon day (it was actually sunny) before the sun went down (it was a close one)
5. The power bank and solar panel are not usable with other systems
6. To get more power you can daisy chain together power banks. This is lame because it means plugging one into the inverter of the subsequent bank. Perhaps with the optional lDC adapter this is not the case. I dont have that part or an additional power bank to see if one would really get 40ah vs 20ah. I expect there is some loss involved.
7. Aspect Solar hasn't responded to email. This is a big negative in my book. Like you guys I am busy or I feel like I am and I dont want to stop what I am doing, even if its sitting on my butt, and call someone. I'd rather check my email the next day and have a reply.

Overall impression is the capacity is good and the value per ah appears good too. I feel it actually provides, at least when new, 20ah of power. The 12v outlet is junk and that is what I really want.

Will I keep it? Testing it out this weekend. If the fridge keeps dying or the solar doesn't supplement enough to run the entire weekend it's going back.

Sorry for the typos my honey is reminding me of honey do list and I gotta get on it!

Surly,

Thanks for the very useful information about the unit- it's still in front running for me but the whole loose socket 12v plug is unnerving. Please keep up with the reports on its performance- I'm saving $$ for it and your info is valuable.

surly

surly adventurer
This weekend we ran the Power bar and solar panel over two days and nights, primarily to support our Whytner 45Q fridge.
Fridge consumption works out to be 1ah in garage test.
This weekend I added the transit bag, a 32oz and 48oz Nalgene, frozen solid.
Fridge was otherwise full of precooked dishes, milk, the 4 beers and two Cock and Bull ginger ales (most fantastic beverage on the planet BTW) in the little room left over.
Arrived at camp around 15:00 Friday and plugged the fridge into the powerbar from Jeep power. The sun was too far away from our parking spot to charge with the solar panel (practical use problem #2).
I don't recall how many times the fridge turned off but it was more than once. Given that we were in and out of the Jeep getting camp all homey I'll take responsibility somewhat for that. Still it's not something I want to worry about (practical use problem #1).
Given that there were trees lots and lots of big trees (difficult to charge over the weekend), overnight temps were to be in the 40s we decided to unplug the fridge overnight. This worked very well! I think the Nalgene bottles helped and I'll do that again for sure.
The next day we used the powerbar and tried to charge with the solar panel at the same time which was impossible. It's pretty much here where I made my wife promise to remind me to just return the entire kit. I was having trouble deciding and really wanted to like it.
Back to Jeep power to use whatever sunspots I had for some charging. We did get some juice back. With a lot of attention due to the location we chose/trees.
Over the entire weekend we didn't use much juice from the powerbar because:
1. It wasn't very wam
2. Fridge was full
3. Fridge had ice in it
4. Powerbar wouldn't stay connected

What I didn't like:
Problem 1: The 12v socket. I did get a call from them. A very nice lady said return it and order another one. My problem with this is there was no indication the problem has been addressed and I am not their test department I am a consumer that expects a working product.

Problem 2: The cord for the solar panel is so ridiculously short that unless you drag your stuff around you can't charge and use at the same time. Perhaps there is an extension or I could get a 12v cord but even then the charge controller is so very close to the panel I have to walk up to it, bend over and look at the status LED to see what output I am getting. In any event moving the powerbar disconnects the fridge and I don't want to fiddle with stuff, I just want it to work reliably. In fact I'll take a performance hit in favor of reliability any day.

So it went back today.
I would not buy another.
We are probably getting two Renogy 100w panels and a good charge controller. Probably a second, house battery, for the Jeep when I feel like tackling the install which looks rather time consuming.

FWIW: I camp with my wife and three kids 1, 3 and 5. We need milk, yogurt, cheese to sustain life.

Typed on my phone so sorry for any nonsensical sentences....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior