Three Land Rovers, Two Motorcycles, and 24 hours of Adventure

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
picture-35.jpg
With a new addition to the fleet and some good friends in from out of town, the crew at Overland International decided to head out for some fun this weekend. The trip went along nicely with a little series we’ll be starting based on fun two day excursions, as well as allowing us to stretch the legs of a few Rovers and motorcycles. For this specific run we decided to visit Oak Creek Homestead outside of Sedona, as well as run Broken Arrow trail near downtown. The weather couldn’t have been better and everyone had a blast getting away for a day.
happy ppl sedona.jpg
Like most times in life, the one thing you can expect is the unexpected. Our plans to leave early in the afternoon blew up after delays held me in Phoenix until past our original meeting time. Fortunately thanks to some flexibility and a few very thoughtful coworkers, the team met at the trailhead around five thirty with some much-needed burgers and fries as well as our camping gear. Sadly the delay caused us to miss most of our photo opportunities the first night, so you’ll have to trust me that the sunset was beautiful and the burgers were delicious.
Campfire2.jpg
We were up early the next morning and had a quick breakfast of egg and bacon sandwiches before completing the water crossing.
picture-3.jpg
picture-6.jpg
The Land Rovers ascended the main obstacle, a loose hill climb, with ease even with a first time off-road driver at the wheel of the Sport.
picture-21.jpg
Climbing a loose hill on an adventure bike however is a whole different animal.
picture-15.jpg
Just when you think things are going well, a rock can surprise you.
picture-18.jpg
Thankfully proper safety gear, riding experience, and a little luck can save you and your bike from serious injury. The trick is to get back on and keep riding.
picture-20.jpg
Range Rover Sport getting some air under the tire before heading for Sedona.
picture-38.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
We split from the bikes at this point and continued onto Broken Arrow trail. The beautiful Sedona red rock didn’t disappoint this Saturday and neither did the Land Rovers which perfumed flawlessly.
picture-46.jpg
The LR4 taking the more aggressive line without so much as a scrape. I was continually impressed with this vehicle on the trip.
picture-48.jpg
The Trek Discovery climbed this ledge and hill without even a squeal of the tires
picture-56.jpg
The sport did better than I expected during this whole trip. It was far more capable than I guessed. Even on Devils Staircase it impressed me by completing the obstacle without issues of any kind.
picture-59.jpg
Of course the disco made the whole descent look like a breeze as it articulated down the pass.
picture-65.jpg

Overall the trip couldn't have been better and we are all looking forward to our next free weekend and the fun trip it will hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan