Custom M101 Trailer - Colorado

Lisponger

SOLD

Totally custom M101 trailer.

IMG_1000.jpg

Last edited:

Lisponger

Crickets...

Am I asking too much? I figured I'd add up what I had into it with parts and labor. Total equaled a hair over $5k.

If I planned on keeping it I would sell the axle and tires, swap in a Dexter axle/matching rig wheel combo, and wheel it...

Chaos

Observer
I think maybe it's too customized, the price of some of the adds you did were for you, like 10 coats of paint...how much was that...

Lisponger

@chaos the paint job was NOT cheap! The body was sandblasted for many hours to remove the thick noxious army paint, then smoothed out with body filler, and eventually sprayed. The real cost was getting the trailer bed down to bare metal. It was in the $1500 ball park.

shogun

Adventurer
@chaos the paint job was NOT cheap! The body was sandblasted for many hours to remove the thick noxious army paint, then smoothed out with body filler, and eventually sprayed. The real cost was getting the trailer bed down to bare metal. It was in the $1500 ball park.

I think you may have misunderstood his comment. You asked if there was a problem with the price point. He offered that perhaps adding up what you chose to spend may in fact be a negative to prospective buyers. The mods had value to you, but probably not to others. I think he was just trying to be helpful in answering your query.

Good luck.

Chaos

Observer
Shogun, Thanks for clarifying, I didn't want to be too harsh but that is what I was trying to convey.

Lisponger, at the end of the day it's an M101A2 that can be picked up virtually anywhere for a lot less than what you're asking...maybe try to highlight some of the value in the parts that you did add as individual price points and the discount in which you're applying. In my business, transparency in any transaction is key!!, GLWS!

Lisponger

-Price Lowered-

I totally agree on the transparency front.

Foremost its exceptionally clean. It's not a clapped out M101 that you can find at GOV auctions.

I tried to make this look presentable to be towed behind any rig or parked in your driveway without the neighborhood thinking you've become a prepper.

I've done all the hard work of paint, sourcing replacement parts(wheels, tires, new LED lighting), adding a custom canvas roll top, adding a burly roof rack that can easily hold one if not two roof top tents, changed the hitch from a pintle hitch to a common 2" ball, and updated all the wiring.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
When you say it can hold one or two tents do you mean to transport or like how guys set them up on the trailer to sleep similar to the roof of the car? Im new to all this and know I want to have a suv towing a trailer that has the tent that folds out but not an actual camper trailer. Is this what I could use? I mean like the guy said I can buy one right here in Detroit for 850 but you did a lot of nice things to it and I would have to remove the camo and change the hitch setup so I like buying other people labor. What does this thing weigh and how would it do behind a Wj Grand cherokee 4.0 or an FZJ80? Thank you

Do you have a pic of it in action possibly so I can visualize if it fits my needs? Thank you

The link doesnt work thats why I ask.

Lisponger

@detroit I had the trailer setup to hold my Maggiolina Columbus Variant Extra-Long Tent (91" x 57") it weighed 118lbs. This is exactly what you can use.

Currently setup it weighs just around 1200 lbs (I removed the lunet and landing gear as well as any additional weight) . The tires and the axle are heavy, if I was going to keep it I would change to match the wheels and tires to my current rig. You could easily drop 200 lbs by doing that alone.

The trailer pulls great. I would say better behind the 80 series then the Cherokee.

Here are some pictures with the tent on top:
photo 1(4).JPG
photo 2(2).JPG

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
So you can sleep up there with the tent popped like that? I weigh 200 plus the tent 120 thats 320 what can those bars hold? Could I have another person up there or my dog 90lbs? Im really digging this trailer. So I'm assuming you would match the wheels and tires for extra spares right? Like leave the trailer with a flat and use the truck to go repair the trailer tire? Im new to all this and just trying to envision all these scenarios that are second nature in discussions to most on here. I'm not speaking from any actual experience on the trails or camping other than being an Eagle Scout lol.
I want to have a suv for me and my dog and a nice little trailer with the tent and gear so I can leave that at the camp site and go off road exploring and not be loaded down. If it weighs 1200 dry so I could be up to 23-2800 depending on gear or am I calculating as if I had cement blocks? I have no idea what "gear" for a man and his dog for a couple weeks trip would weigh. The trailer is quite heavy duty and maybe I could use a much lighter trailer for my needs I'm not sure any feedback goes a long way at this point so thanks for that.

Lisponger

Yessir, I just slept up there for 2 weeks straight. I just moved from VT to Colorado so I needed a place to stay... (The trailer was in storage in Wyoming for the last year, I did not tow it cross country)

The bars can easily hold your weight. My girlfriend, dog and I all slept up there for over a week (thats 400+ lbs in body weight alone) and it was no problem. The springs are stiff enough that there was very movement of the trailer as well.

Exactly as you stated, you could buy a trailer axle from http://abctrailerparts.com/axles.html with electric brakes, match your tires/wheels from your rig up to the trailer, and have enough spares for days.

We had about 1500 lbs of climbing gear, bikes, and ski gear in the trailer and it handled it no problem. Honestly a 416 for the size is pretty tiny in my opinion, but to each his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior