Best value Suburban as an all arounder

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
My wife has had a 2005 z71 suburban since 2009 I bought it with 47,000 and now have around 210,000 on it. This truck sees 15 to 20 miles a day of gravel and dirt roads, tows a two horse trailer most weekends and occasionally tows my 7000lb Kubota both on dry roads and in snow and will be getting a snow plow for it soon. 1500 is the way to go in my opinion I've owned many 2500 and 3500 platform trucks and they will beat you and themselves to death off road. For the abuse this truck sees the repair list is quite short. One set of wheel bearings, wife has no idea how she broke a rear shock lol, 1 water pump, and both knock sensors replaced. My wife does not baby this truck at all 35 to 45 on washboard, potholes, according to her Chevy parts are cheap and my labor is free.

You made me laugh with the statement that Chevy parts are cheap and your labour is free. That just cracked me up...:)

Hungry Tiger

If you are going to be loaded up plus toeing something, definitely recommend 2500 running gear. Not so obvious difference is in the heft of the differential internals. Ask a mechanic who had seen them.

90DROPTOP

Observer
Just thought I would chime in here as a OBS suburban owner (99 k2500 suburban 454/4l80e/246 autotrac/4.10 gears)
I tow a 8-10K# trailer on a fairly regular basis(rock crawler), the small single piston calipers leave a lot to be desire in stopping power, however with the addition of a good trailer brake set up I have had no issues except the fuel mileage comes in at a staggering 10mpg loaded or unloaded.
on the upside it is quite roomie since it is my fiancé myself and our 2 dogs ( Rhodesian ridgeback 102#, pit bull 85#) with the third row out and second row folded down the 4 of us fit in there quite well( im 6'4" 200# she is 6' 150ish).
if your mechanically inclined a big block burban can be had for 1000-2500 I paid $1000 for mine put new tires, new fuel injectors(common problem with the 7.4l) and a fuel pump and she was road ready

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The comment regarding z71 springs, I would use h2 springs for extra load capacity. I am running them with airbags on my overland burb project.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thought I would give this thread a little update. So after basically hunting for the proper replacement rig for our family travel rig, and having another little one on the way… I finally found the right one. It was a long hunt. We went back and forth on a few different ideas, even considering half ton crew cab trucks, 100 Series Land Cruisers, but always came back to the Burb as the best answer. So, to revisit and also update our criteria in this process….

-Comfortable
-Space for a family of 4, a dog, and the ability to still sleep inside (behind the second row seats with an elevated sleep platform) or to haul mountain bikes inside behind the second for and out of the weather
-Reliably and safely tow our 23 foot camper both locally and on a two month trip around North America this spring/summer
-long term durability and reliability
-easy and inexpensive to source parts for
-something that we can hold on to 10-15 years

So half ton Suburbans are plentiful, but now that we are living back in the UP of Michigan, finding stuff anywhere in the midwest that isn't beat on and rusted is next to impossible. But finally my search turned up a 2004 3/4 ton Suburban that was from Texas, in southern MI that had never seen snow or salt. The guy bought it in Texas to tow a Corvette he purchased down there back, then used it one other time to tow home a vintage Jaguar from Tennessee. The guy is a consummate car enthusiast and was super particular searching for this truck and taking care of it, and essentially storing it in a heated garage since he bought it. The interior looks like new with the exception of a faded spot on the dash, but he got a custom dash cover for it. Body is perfect, it has a bumper brush guard that I usually find tacky and cheap but its actually really stout. Not sure whether I will take it off or not yet. It has a small dent in the center but I feel it could still save a radiator with an animal strike. More details, 135,000 miles, 6.0, 4.10's, towing package, G80, new non name brand 285's, the optional towing mirrors, front and rear heat/AC, leather interior, new weather tech floor mats

I think it is the needle in the haystack I was looking for. I bought it in southeastern MI, put our Outback on a car hauler and drove it 450 miles home. I know it sounds cliche, but you couldn't even tell it was back there. So, I will probably start a thread for it as I look for some suggestions from folks on some things I want to do as we move forward. Heres a few pics….

cyclic

Adventurer
That appears to be a ranch hand type grill guard, being a Texas truck it probably is. Keep it, we bash the hell out of deer and dogs with them down here. Won't stop a moose, but it will help a bunch.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm confused..... if tailgates were overrated, and barn doors are overrated, just what the heck other type of opening is there?? a roll up door?, or drawbridge? just funning with you, but seriously, what are you meaning?

A big giant hatch like the nose of a C-5A Galaxy. The glass in it opens seperately as well.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
That appears to be a ranch hand type grill guard, being a Texas truck it probably is. Keep it, we bash the hell out of deer and dogs with them down here. Won't stop a moose, but it will help a bunch.

Yep, it is! Thing is surprisingly stout for a bumper mounted brush guard.

Thanks for the encouragement folks, we are pretty stoked about this thing. Drives like a dream. Will likely be asking some advice from the full-size experts here. I think it will serve us well long term and every indication tells me it will hold up well. Front end is tight right now, but wondering if I should be looking into anything to beef it up more for 33's and moderate off road use. Mostly dirt roads, rough two tracks will be the extent of its use. We will use the Land Cruiser for tight, gnarly stuff and save the abuse on the burb.

southpaws3

Observer
when You do lift the truck get bigger tires REMEMBER TO RE-GEAR THE AXLES , and for and automatic transmission get a LARGE COOLER alot of people don't think that is necessary,BS remember that when your paying for a new tranny . I drive a large sub plus i tow when we travel/offroad. I've done as much to keep it alive as possible works for my growing family . best of adventures

boss324

Observer
Great choice! I was going to recommend the 2500 Burb it will last for a long time. I have 99k on my 03 still on the first set of brake pads from the factory! To go along with your 285s Id lift it with the Cognito 2.5" leveling kit and add some nice Fox 2.0 mono shocks.

justcuz

Explorer
285/75x16's generally measure 32.5 to 32.8. So you are close to 33" territory with stock suspension. You don't have to do much to raise the front end. Research on other sites has the installation of 1/2 torsion keys raising the front of 3/4 ton GM products. I do know on Avalanche, Tahoe and Suburban 1500 series vehicles the torsion bars are 2" shorter than pickups (42"-44") I believe. The 1/2 ton torsion keys re index the bars for a slight lift (1.5" to 2") for very reasonable cost. Just grab them from a wrecking yard. Truck, Avalanche, Suburban and Tahoe keys are all the same so no need to search out a specific vehicle, just find one with the least rusty undercarriage.
You got a nice vehicle, not much is needed to make a 3/4 ton the perfect vehicle for your use. I drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the rear spring plates, this allows them to drain and not pack up with mud and road crud. Easy to hit with the hose to prevent rust build up inside there. You have 4.10 gears and a towing package should have an external oil coolers for the trans and engine oil.
I spent 3 months in southern Michigan last summer with a road trip to Traverse Bay and down the west coast of the state. Lots of road kill, leave the grille guard on, is my opinion.
If I had my way, I would live in Northern Michigan during the summer and winter in northern Arizona. I absolutely love the greenery of the Midwest in the summer, but winter is too drab and dreary for me to have to suffer with it as a retiree.

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
when You do lift the truck get bigger tires REMEMBER TO RE-GEAR THE AXLES , and for and automatic transmission get a LARGE COOLER alot of people don't think that is necessary,BS remember that when your paying for a new tranny . I drive a large sub plus i tow when we travel/offroad. I've done as much to keep it alive as possible works for my growing family . best of adventures

He lists his new wagon as having 4.10s so he'll probably be OK.

OP, that is an EXCELLENT find!

Well, baby #5 made her arrival a month ago and the need to replace the family Odyssey (2007) is an urgent reality. We need more room! Even though we all physically fit, there is no room for a guest and we frequently use the rooftop basket for trips anywhere.

Seems like there are plenty of 2002-2006 1500 4x4 5.3l suburbans and Yukon xl out there to be had for relatively cheap. What exactly should I be looking for specifically as telltales of worn/failing transmissions and other common problems at over 100k? I'm I'm northern CA and Sacramento is the most metropolitan place to find one for me.

Not a heavy tower but will likely torsion bar lift a few inches to get to more remote camping spots. Odyssey is holding us down in that dept and I'm sick of picking favorites to go in my xj to those great spots.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior