New 01 Montero Sport! Newbie needs advice please. New to Montero's and 4wds

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Hello everyone.

We are now, by default, the owners of a 2001 Montero Sport XLS 4x4 with 238,000 on the original motor.

20141206_153643.jpg

20141206_153713.jpg

Short version:
My step-daughter wanted it and bought it. We helped her fix it so it was reliable and safe. She drove it for about a year. Then decided it was too big and wanted a car instead. My spouse agreed since the insurance on the Montero for a 17 year old was ridiculous. The spouse's plan: buy her out of it for what she invested and sell it ourselves. Famous last words.... lol. Just before she decided she did not want the rig, she let her x-boyfriend drive the SUV into 3 feet of mud. It got stuck and had to be pulled out with a wrecker. Of course they never cleaned off the mud either. She also left us with a check engine light for the transmission (aka won't pass emissions). It can't be tagged or sold till it's fixed.

We decided to let it sit till we could gather up the funds to chase the issue with the code and the dreaded 4x4 light. In the interim, we changed insurance companies. The new company split our policies so my daughter was compartmentalized. A quote revealed the insurance for us with the Montero was very reasonable. Then factor in that we have so much in it in past repairs that we could never get our money back out, so I suggested we just fix it and keep it. My step son just had a little boy, so an SUV would be a great addition to the corral.

So its current issues need opinions from the folks who know. :)
1. 4x4 flashing light: We are chasing the common solenoid issue with the vacuum controlled 4x4 system. It has been an uphill battle. We had a guy familiar with these rigs check the vacuum system prior to the swim in the mud and he felt vacuum was not the issue. That maybe a sensor was damaged on the top of the transmission? Anyone had this happen? So we decided that was best left to a shop with a lift and airtools. The shop it is currently at is looking into it. I gave him the article regarding the vacuum system, so he had a good knowledge of the system and what to test. He found that thanks to the mud bath, now both solenoids are defective. They have ordered replacements after trying for a day to clean out and fix the old ones. Geez!

2. Previous Check engine light for the transmission. Once we got it to the shop, the code for the transmission was not there, but instead we had a code for the TPS. Another gift from the mud bath! The battery had died while the truck sat, so it wiped the previous codes. All we can do is replace the TPS and see if the check engine light stays off. Anyone know the drive cycle for these vehicles? It would be nice to know how quick we can get the emissions done if we get no codes. What type of tranny codes are common in these?

3. The PO had rigged the oil pan with some type of drainage valve. They stripped out the pan bolt and this was their solution. After reading the 4x4 take quite a lot of work to remove and replace the pan, I wonder about using a timsert as a repair option? Basically use a heilicoil to replace the threads? Do we have an Aluminum pan?

On to the upgrades: Yes I have searched everything, but have just gotten more confused. :(
4. Bald tires: PO had 235/70 r16 on it. From what I have read it comes with 255/70 r16s. If I have to replace the tires, I want to take it wider and taller. At stock ride height and with the stock rims, how tall and wide can you go without rubbing. In searching, I have gotten more confused then not. The general consensus is 265/75r16? I have seen some folks mention 285/75r16s? So can anyone say if the 285 or larger will work?

5. I have considered a 2 inch body lift. Everyone recommends the OME kit, but the price tag is a bit steep right now. $810.00. Yipes! It's just with all the repairs and needing new tires, the budget is not there for it now. In searching, I read someone said it could be done for $150? Torque the torsion bars and put a plate in the rear springs? Is this so? $150 is more doable. Then in time I can get the OME kit. Anyone have experience and advice?

I have a few more simple body mods in plan, but these are the important things right now.

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
My guess would be the trans got hot when they tried to get it out of the mud. Not sure if these will throw a code for that, but many will. Code or not, being teens, they probably really heated up the trans trying to get it out. Make sure you change the trans fluid.

In any case, after changing trans fluid. I'd get the battery charged up, clear the codes and drive cycle it. I think these take awhile for "readiness" codes to be present. So check with your DMV and see if you can get a temporary tag. Drive it a bit and see if trans/check engine codes clear up. Don't spend another dollar until you get that all straightened out.

Is the oil pan drain valve thing leaking. A drain valve can be nice to have so I wouldn't worry about that until other issues are clear.

After you get the codes straightened out get decent tires on it. I'll let other Sport owners chime in on that one but 265/75r16s would be a nice moderate, easily sourced (read affordable) tire for that truck. Obviously you can get crazier but I'd wait to see what other surprises are in store before you invest too heavily.

Lift...I wouldn't bother for now. Once you get everything else straight, and you know you want to keep it, you'll know how much to spend. The monteros are very capable in stock form with a good set of tires. You have a montero sport, which is different from most folks here, but very similar drivetrain. Your truck is somewhat lighter and smaller so the chassis/drivetrain will be very capable.

Now, go get those codes worked out so you can register and drive it!!!!

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Thank you for the input! :)

Good note on the tranny getting hot. So is its possible that code might not come back now? I will let the shop know about a transmission service. I had already briefly mentioned that to him. I want to say when we researched the code it was pointing to a sensor in the transmission that you accessed when you dropped the pan. Guess we will see when/if it returns. If not, I will at least do a filter on the trans.

Here is the mud incident crime caught on film:
IMG_67472632047756.jpg

The valve on the oil pan would have been nice if had sealed to the oil pan. And if you could open it and walk away. You have to sit there and hold it open to drain the oil. And its a very small stream. It also leaks at the valve itself and where it meets the pan. They had thrown some JBweld on the joint to try and stop the leak. Lets just say that the SUV would loose so much oil via the leak that I had to add oil at least 2 times between oil changes. (It would not register on the dip stick) Once it was parked it alone drained the pan dry in no time. Plus, The sucker smells of burnt oil constantly.

Bonus:
I actually just heard from the shop on the time sert repair.
He said $130 (included oil change). That makes the repair $100.00. The amazon price for the kit: $126.00.
http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-1-50-Metric-Drain-1415C/dp/B003TNHFG2#customerReviews
I told him to go ahead... LOL! :)

He has installed the TPS and is out driving it to see if we get more codes. Valves are due in around 2pm for the 4x4 light. Fingers crossed!

A bit of the history on this guy as far as the repairs and services we have done since my daughter purchased it.
Purchased it in late 2011
$600.00 with 223,000 miles INOP (bad trans)
*New used transmission (fully serviced at install)
**(They destroyed the 4x4 shifter assembly nylon bushings- still working on fixing this)
**(Came home with flashing 4x4 light: still working on this)
*Check engine light for EGR and o2s (they were all stock). EGR, EGR Solenoid, all O2s replaced
*Timing Belt and water pump (PO did not think it was ever done)
*Air Filter
*Valve cover gaskets (both leaked at the rear)
*Gaskets below valve cover gaskets both sides (yep they leaked too)
235,000: 2012
*Brake pads on all 4 corners
My Daughter let her boyfriend take it for the swim in 3 feet of mud. :(
*Spark plugs & wires
*PCV
*A/C pulley repaired (seized up due to mud)
239,000:
*Check engine light: transmission code (SUV parked)
2014 (December)
*Dead battery
*Check engine light: TPS (thank you mud!)
*4x4 solenoid valves (2) (thank you mud!)

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That's a good stuck!

Just for clarification, that is not a Montero. It is a Montero Sport. They are different enough that the distinction matters. Have you tried taking the truck to a local PepBoys, AutoZone, Sears, Kragen, etc... to have them check (ie clear) the Check Engine Light codes? They often do that for free

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Yes I am learning bit by bit. Just realized today that "Montero sports" are different then the "montero". I realize did not put "sport" in my title :( ... I did in the post at least :D I guess there is not a way to edit the post title?

I guess this difference is why i'm getting so confusing answers on the tires and such!

Its actually at the Mechanic now. He is working on the codes and such. I knew we originally had a trans code before we parked it. Being transmission related, it was out of my depth, so that was why we took it to a mechanic once we decided to keep the rig and get it emissions ready.

mapper

Explorer
You may want to consider doing some research online, you're here and that's a start, and getting some basic tools to get your own hands dirty on this truck. Otherwise I fear at over 230k miles, on a truck that seems to have a lot of deferred repairs and likely deferred maintenance, you'll be making a lot of trips to the mechanic to get this all sorted out. There is a lot of great information available here and online for monteros/pajeros in general. You'll just have to start realizing where things differ on your montero sport. Does appear that in the past 2 years you are well down the path to getting a lot of that work done

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I know on my 01 montero (not sport) the drive cycle took me about 70 miles before I got the all clear from emissions. Got a temporary 3-day "trip permit" from the dmv for $30, drove around for a day, (about 50/50 split between freeway and surface streets) and then took it to emissions.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
You may want to consider doing some research online, you're here and that's a start, and getting some basic tools to get your own hands dirty on this truck. Otherwise I fear at over 230k miles, on a truck that seems to have a lot of deferred repairs and likely deferred maintenance, you'll be making a lot of trips to the mechanic to get this all sorted out. There is a lot of great information available here and online for monteros/pajeros in general. You'll just have to start realizing where things differ on your montero sport. Does appear that in the past 2 years you are well down the path to getting a lot of that work done

I usually start online with my research as suggested. I just got so much mixed information while researching that I decided to get some opinions. Except for the big stuff, I typically do the work myself. I heard transmission with the possible sensors and codes and knew I needed someone who know more. I plan to dig in here and learn as much as I can. Is there a resource that is more geared toward the Montero Sport I can look at?

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I know on my 01 montero (not sport) the drive cycle took me about 70 miles before I got the all clear from emissions. Got a temporary 3-day "trip permit" from the dmv for $30, drove around for a day, (about 50/50 split between freeway and surface streets) and then took it to emissions.

Thanks for that. I'm hoping the GA DMV will work with me on this. Last time (delSol purchased out of state) they (dmv) told me sorry the previous owner should have gotten that sorted out before they sold it. We drove on a florida temp tag for a good month. GRRRR.

jlocster

Explorer
redraif, welcome. I'd suggest you head over to the Monterosportonline forum here ---->link

There's a lot of Sport specific knowledge there.

Good luck!

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Thank you for the link. I have been over there all day.... lol!

And to update:
Shop got the 4x4 flashing light fixed with new solenoid valves and cleaning up the vacuum system. Yeah!!!! :D

TPS fixed the CEL for about 20 miles.... :(

Oil pan timesert fix was a sucess! :)

Now I have to sort out tires. The shop was not able to sort out my tire fitment or body lift questions, so back to research and questions.

I gave the beast a bath and changed out the busted taillight my daughter graced us with.

Monday we will see what CEL # we have now. Too much chaos to work on it tomorrow.

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok so I've not stopped reading. Lol.

Still trying to understand lifts... I mess around with cars a lot just not this way. We have always lowered cars lol. Firebirds, mustangs, & Fieros.

Am I understanding correctly that when lifting...

A BASIC minimum Suspension lift would consist of cranking the torsion bars up front. Then in the rear, because of my year 01 and being a sport, that I would have to purchase replacement springs and longer shocks?
I have also read that the sports are sprung so they sit higher in the rear. So conceivably I can crank the front to even it with the rear?

Any diy on messing with the torsion bars?

Then on to the body lift. 2 inch max before you have to extend lines. You have to buy something for another vehicle that has body blocks? You loosen bolt connecting body to frame? Then slip in 10 blocks? You take you stock bolts to the hardware store to swap for grade 8 bolts that are 2 inches longer? Is that the basics?

Any links to a diy? It would be nice to know where are the bolts located and where is the best place to slip in the blocks. Also what kit for what suv/truck or what do the blocks look like? Someone said Summit. Well Summit is down the road but i need to know what i need to buy. What substance are they made of? Any substitutions I can make with items from a hardware store?

I just need some guidance as I'm a visual learner. Heck I will even put a diy together myself.... lol!
I created a pretty detailed one for my fiero
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118751.html#lastpost

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Monday we will see what CEL # we have now. Too much chaos to work on it tomorrow.

EGR passage was blocked up BAD!!!! Probably was never cleaned out in all its 240,000 miles :( Let the shop do it as much as I hate too. Just not enough time this time of year!
I had already replaced the EGR & EGR solenoid and they were still good.

****Updates on what I have found to answer my questions. Might help the next guy! :)

To help others who might happen upon my thread. Here is some good info related to alot of what I had questions about.

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/minutemods/torsion_bar/

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/valley_springs/

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/reviews/ome/

On 4x4 wire a Montero guy said that he used 2" coil spring spacers from a Sequoia, part # Rancho RS70081, to get two more inches of lift in the rear. He reports he trimmed a little in the middle so it sits better on the top to the body. He did have to go longer on the shocks with the spacer in. Used shocks from a Bronco 83-96.
These are for teh full size older Monteros... not sure if there is something for us (sports)

www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1253736&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1239851&an=&page=&vc=1
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1179859&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1
www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/28207-1998-(Gen-II)-Montero-Suspension-Lift-Kit

Now to figure out if this coil insert will work on a sport... Are the sport springs and full size springs the same ID and OD?
No one there who has posted knows.

I asked here and got info on a DIY body lift:
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1290791&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Here is some info on 4crawler' body lift from there: (Full size Montero) They reference gen1, gen2 and a build thread of a gen2.5. Not sure if any of this will relate back to a sport, but I aim to find out!

www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1288160&an=&page=&vc=1

they reference this thread which had some great pictures from a body lift install. Enough to help me understand. (post #10)
www.expeditionportal.com/forum/thre...light=Eurosonic's+Montero+2.5Gen+Build+Thread

Here is another thread with an older full size with pics. I was told in this thread that we (sports) are based on the Mitsu truck frame not sold in North America.
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1141520&page=0&fpart=4&vc=1

Ok thats the highlights of my finds from 4x4wire. At least it cleared my understanding of things. Now to circle around and find out if any can work with the sports.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Great post! I hope you find the Sport specific info you are seeking. Sorry we can't be more helpful

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Thank you! I plan to keep posting up any info I find. Plus I WILL do a diy write up when I do the job. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online