Help with LR3 tire chains or alternatives

Eniam17

Adventurer
It sounds as though I will not have enough clearance to use chains with 265/65/18 tires on my lr3. Can anyone confirm this or if it's incorrect please tell me.

Does anyone have experience with any "chain" alternatives that might be able to fit or if they did rub would not be enough to cause damage? I have no experience with chains on this vehicle at all.

Anyone used something like this? Do they work , hold up, are they worth trying or even possible on my setup?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/snc...ogleproducts&gclid=CNC36rSyk8MCFUY7gQodVz8ADA

Thanks for any help

unseenone

Explorer
The LR3 is designed to only have something fitted on the front, and there is a special one that LR sells. This is what you are looking for http://www.spikes-spiders.com/ I believe they are made / sold in the US.

If you are plowing through a lot of snow and slush it might be nice to have an Aluminum cowl, contact Justin from Lucky 8 for that, He is close to you in Buffalo and can advise you.

Eniam17

Adventurer
The LR3 is designed to only have something fitted on the front, and there is a special one that LR sells. This is what you are looking for http://www.spikes-spiders.com/ I believe they are made / sold in the US.

If you are plowing through a lot of snow and slush it might be nice to have an Aluminum cowl, contact Justin from Lucky 8 for that, He is close to you in Buffalo and can advise you.

Ok perfect, thanks I will check them out. I just installed a TF sump guard and sliders I got from justin , still would like to get gas tank skid and possibly t case skid.

Do you know your clearances?
not exactly, I haven't taken detailed measurements because I wasn't sure if it was even possible . Was hoping someone would have some ideas regarding fitment

zelatore

Explorer
As far as I know something like the spikes-spyder link above is the only thing that will work. Take a look at the clearance between the tire and the upper ball joint - it's tight. I run 275/65s and I have about 1/4". You'll have a little more of course, but not enough for a traditional style chain. These things aren't cheap, but at least they're cheaper than buying the from the dealer.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Thanks Don. We just got 26" of snow with more on the way so with front chains or not I'm not sure if this lr3 will be going anywhere at winter romp in a few weeks.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Thanks Don. We just got 26" of snow with more on the way so with front chains or not I'm not sure if this lr3 will be going anywhere at winter romp in a few weeks.
Ooo, come on...Give LR3 a chance.
Last year there was more snow, then you have right now up there and my LR3 did OK , without chains. Just air down and you should be fine.

zelatore

Explorer
Ooo, come on...Give LR3 a chance.
Last year there was more snow, then you have right now up there and my LR3 did OK , without chains. Just air down and you should be fine.

I'd actually agree. I don't have chains for my rig and it's done well on icy/snowy trails in the past. Heading out again to about 8000' this weekend looking for some snow to play in and my only 'traction aids' will be low pressure in my Duratracs and the computers doing their thing. BTW - skip the 'snow' mode on the trail. It might be good on a road, but it's way to eager to kill the power exactly when you want some momentum off-road.

libarata

Expedition Leader
If you have .8(goclaws) down to .5(snoclaws), then these will work.

http://www.flextrax.com/

"The original linkage system was first introduced in 1994 when most vehicles had sufficient inner wheel well clearance to accommodate the .800" dual locking pin GoClaws. Since that time, many smaller cars & trucks have been designed with limited clearance. Hence; We have recently released the new SnoClaws ratchet system to accommodate these vehicles with our .500" latch thickness. Therefore, one should specify GoClaws if space permits and specify SnoClaws if you have space limitations."

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
Thanks all, was planning on using mud/ruts and dsc off and also airing down. I'm running 265/65/18 dura tracs , what do you guys air down to in the snow? this is my first time in the lr3 in the snow with these new tires.

zelatore

Explorer
I was out in the snow this weekend running 275/65-18 Duratracs. I aired down to 18 front/22 rear with a loaded vehicle (maybe 7000 lbs on the trail that day...I've got a lot of steel on her)

I used a combination of grass/gravel/snow mode when just traversing snowy areas, sand mode when I was tackling a snowy hill and wanted to maintain more momentum/wheel speed, and rock-crawl when I wasn't on heavy snow but wanted maximum locker activation for ledges or other obstacles. The most important thing in ANY mode is to turn of the DSC as it's almost guaranteed to cut the power just when you want it most!

Over-all I'll give the Duratracs a thumb's up in the snow, but in the end there's only so much you can do in a 3+ ton rig on 32" tires no matter how good your traction-aids are.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Airing down will help depending on the snow. The key is to go slow, and to avoid spinning the tires. Once you spin, you are done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78