L322 RR for DD and light overland duty

nick325i

Adventurer
I've become infected with the rover bug after I got my first one a few years ago with a new 12' LR4.

Sold it because I thought I needed a bigger truck. I also have a 94' RRC LWB.

I'm seriously considering a L322 Range Rover as my next daily driver. Specifically an 07-09 SC (they seem to be the best bang for buck in my price range). I would like an 10-13 with the wonderful 5.0 but they are a little spendy and I'm wanting to lower my payment.

Anyone have a firsthand opinion on this idea? My main requirement is to be able to pull my RRC on a trailer. My LR4 pulled it fine so I think it will be ok.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Good trucks. Limited aftermarket goodies available (bumpers, skids, etc) but if you are going to keep it pretty much stock, then go for it. That said if you want to hang all kinds of crap off of it and do a million bolt ons, then no.

Very comfortable to drive and of course, you are driving the big daddy Rangie. Apparently the air suspension is pretty stout on these trucks as well. One thing I would say is do research on the brake size of the SC trucks. Dunno if you can fit the smaller sized rims to get nice off road tires. Lastly, throw in the IDtool and go.

As with any luxury vehicle, its all about the vehicle history. Full vehicle history > mystery vehicle history.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Your stuck with 20" wheels on the SC. I believe you will be stuck with them on the non-SC 2011-2012 also.

That said, if you get the 2" lift and put on the larger tires you can still get Load Range E off-road tires for 20's and I've heard good reviews about them aired down. Still not 18's but not bad.

We did a test drive of an LR4, RRS, and L322 back-to-back at the $tealership. I'm looking to trade in my solid-axles for IRS/IFS to help my wife's back.

on road, the L322 was the most composed and drove the best, hands down. Felt like my 540i. RRS next, then the LR4, which actually had quite a bit of body roll (compared to the others).

Off-road, the L322 cleaned the competition (and much better on my wife's back), the LR4 next (it was close, but you could notice the articulation advantage of the L322, even on the $tealer test strip, with mod support the LR4 could no-doubt equal or even surpass the L322). The RRS was the least performing off-road out of the bunch, it seemed to have less articulation and felt more like a "sports car" on the inside (low seat position, etc).

Now this is all relative, as Chris' build on this site has shown (and my inspiration to check out IFS/IRS Land Rovers), the RRS can be built into a pretty sweet and capable rig. I just preferred the L322, there is a reason it has a higher sticker. And go for the surround-camera system. Could come in handy on obstacle approaches. :)

In the end, we decided to keep our truck (bad trade in) and wait. We will probably pick up an L322 within 3 years, hoping depreciation helps us out a bit.

I'd steer clear of the M62 BMW engined beasts. I loved that engine in my 540i, but it was no over landing power plant. Watercooled alternators and crappy plastic radiators don't work in 4-Lo in 100 degree heat and/or fording rivers. I wouldn't risk it, even with the alleged articulation advantage.

Both the L322, LR4, and RRS should tow your classic. I'd get the IID tool to disable the "auto level" feature on the rear suspension so that you can use a weight-distribution hitch properly.

The engine has plenty of power but the frame and suspension is no 3/4-ton truck. You'll be pushing your tow-ratings which means play it safe regarding hitch setup/tongue weights and don't speed even though the engine will let you.

nick325i

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Due to the nature of owning a RRC, I'm pretty good friends with the guys at the local rover shop and they advised me to go with a newer model with the Jag motor as well. I'm not in a hurry but I'm going to start looking. I'm going to look at 10-13 RRSs as well just to be thorough but I'm pretty sold on the L322.

I'm not too worried about the 20's. I had pretty good luck with the 19's on my LR4 and I think they'll be fine for what I'm planning on doing with it.

I just need to sell or get someone to give me a decent amount in trade for my F250. The market for big trucks here seems to be slowing down so hopefully I'll still get decent money for it.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yes. Jag motor and 6 speed auto. I think those were 06 and newer? Either way your target of an 07-09 would be awesome.

Good luck and have fun!

99Discovery

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Due to the nature of owning a RRC, I'm pretty good friends with the guys at the local rover shop and they advised me to go with a newer model with the Jag motor as well. I'm not in a hurry but I'm going to start looking. I'm going to look at 10-13 RRSs as well just to be thorough but I'm pretty sold on the L322.

I'm not too worried about the 20's. I had pretty good luck with the 19's on my LR4 and I think they'll be fine for what I'm planning on doing with it.

I just need to sell or get someone to give me a decent amount in trade for my F250. The market for big trucks here seems to be slowing down so hopefully I'll still get decent money for it.

Yea, it was the trade-in value on my 2011 2500HD truck with only 20k miles which killed the deal on a sweet black 2011 L322 with entertainment and surround camera. We ran the numbers and figures 2~3 more years of depreciation and having the truck paid off and we could keep the pickup AND get the same 2011 and only be out $5~8k more at most. So I'm keeping my pickup and waiting.

It seems there are more tire choices for 20s vs. 19s.

I had been in correspondence with Compomotive about their 18" land rover rims on the later model L322s. As far as I can tell, nobody has done it, but they are fairly confident the calipers are different than earlier L322s, but NOT the same as the supercharged. In fact, they are confident the 18" rims WILL fit. Which is awesome. If you happen to get a later model L322, take a photo and send them some measurements and they will verify.

This was my plan. Roll with the 20's for a year and get the 18 Compomotive rims (after I verify they will fit). The cost and selection of 18" rims would pay off the compomotive cost pretty quickly. I was going to put snow tires on the 20's and use them in the off-season.

But, it's all a dream for me at this point. Right now I get to plan for a Moab, Utah, trip in my D2 (which I just installed the CDL). I'm looking forward to that!

nick325i

Adventurer
Yes. Jag motor and 6 speed auto. I think those were 06 and newer? Either way your target of an 07-09 would be awesome.

Good luck and have fun!

I think you are right about it being 06 and newer.

I drove my RRC to my local Rover club get together last night. I think I've been talked into holding out for a 10-13 even if I have to wait a little longer. I am starting to see those in the mid to high $30k range. If I can find one below $35k then I'll probably jump on it if I can sell my truck by then.

Scott Brady

Founder
They are brilliant. We have enjoyed ours for years, and it has been near flawless. Extremely capable and many are equipped with a rear locker. Easy to fit a 33" tire.
10734136_10153353290673275_3732628943139890310_n.jpg

DougC

Observer
Love my 2007. And you are NOT stuck with 20 inch wheels on the supercharged. The owners manual states you can use 19 inch wheels. With almost 150k driving daily, with larger tires and a 2 inch Johnson Rod lift, I recommend the L322. Great truck...great daily driver...great off road!

nick325i

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice.

I've found a clean, one owner 08 L322 SC with a complete service history. It's at my local Land Rover shop. I wheel my RRC with all the techs so I trust they wouldn't knowingly steer me wrong. I'm going to test drive it overnight tonight to make sure I like it though.

DougC

Observer
Nick--did you get the black 08 at British 4x4? If so, I hear you got a good one. Sam was gushing about it Friday when I got my oil changed.

ntan

Adventurer
Did you get the RR?

I've had several L322s that all saw the trails, both light and heavier duty. The only time one failed me was my '05 with 40k miles, on the road (for the infamous front diff issue, but that was at a stop sign). Otherwise, pretty much bulletproof through >250k miles across the lot.

IMG_0742.jpg

DSC_7707.JPG

P1010960.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior