4xFish 2014 JKUR Build

m(a)ce

Adventurer
and 1-2-3-go!

945133dafda720e3e323f239f0027911.jpg

So after about a year in my 5th Gen 4Runner I knew it was time to get back into a Jeep. The 5th Gen was a good truck but I missed being in a Jeep terribly.

50952e7ec7a2edc913970b57b58ac837.jpg

We've been building dirtanddresses 2dr JKR and I had been eyeing it every time we took it on an adventure.

The thing that sealed the deal was dirtanddresses was invited to the AEV Kentucky Tour with her JKR. We had a blast with the guys from AEV on the trip and I knew I needed to be back in a Jeep.

a6b2b713f582c237d6df30a074b5d316.jpg

29db6ed7ea33e12d2d6ad7d93b83fd59.jpg

After some searching I found a dealer about an hour away that had a loaded 2014 JKUR. I exchanged a few emails with their internet department and finally they gave me a number I was happy with so I took a ride to see the JK. The salesman turned out to be a decent fellow and the deal was finalized.

d10abdea18f4448035c74488243793fb.jpg

The plan for this JKUR is similar to my 4R build - a fun fishing/camping adventure rig that can handle the trails but still be a decent DD. I really liked my 2008 JKUR so I plan to build this with similar components but also experiment with some new ones.

42e5913b0bd7946a83e80c90379e6a10.jpg

So far I'm incredibly happy with the updated JK. Jeep stepped up their game with interior appearance and fit & finish from my 2008. Moreover the 3.6 is a huge improvement in daily driving from my 3.8. I regeared my 3.8 but even then it was still a dog! Our 2013 2dr on 34's with stock gearing feels peppier than the old motor with stock tires.

4ac8aa5e16a5c7a70911047466a5204d.jpg

I'm looking forward to the adventures with this Jeep! :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Transferring some gear:

I migrated some gear to start and make the Jeep feel like it was mine.

First off I transferred the Blue Ridge Overland MOLLE seat panels and sun visor to get some of the smaller stuff organized & in a familiar place. I was happy with how these worked in the 4Runner and knew they'd go in the next rig.

33a9c7d920331cbdb35af21a6b7e940e.jpg

c946db791e36bb222bb4d12a6020a1e2.jpg

For the cockpit the Ram X Grip mount works perfectly for my iPhone while another Ram mount holds the inReach Explorer.

a53910dd5ae77ce6e0b95813460f554e.jpg

I'm not 100% set on how I'm going to configure the cargo area so for now I just strapped in my ARB fridge & a couple of my Front Runner boxes.

38da224aed2015198f54f2aa012f18a3.jpg

I'm thinking about a shelf to utilize the vertical space while leaving me easy access to the gear underneath. I like the flexibility of Frontrunner boxes since I can swap them out for whatever gear I need for the day (recovery/fishing/camping/etc) or completely remove them when I need the space. The negative of the boxes are their latches - the plastic ones will break and the metal ones fall off some times when in the open position. But the good definitely outweighs the bad. To keep the Wolf boxes in place but allow quicker access I use the Front Runner Stratchits.

84ebba231d87c889bc01bbeec0434fc9.jpg

To keep the gear safely in the cargo area I installed my Dirty Dog cargo net from my last JK. Its beefy and only takes a couple minutes to install. I like that flexibility!

9681186cd0e07d99c8fdd3e044dfdf5d.jpg

Misc little things not pictured: AEV Mats, Tread Lightly sticker, No Loss Caps, recovery gear, etc

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
I love White Jeeps.. I would have gotten white but my wife hates white vehicles and she talked me into buying a Jeep again..

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Headlights

I think we all can agree that the stock Jeep JK headlights are pretty sad. This became apparent whenever we'd alternate between dirtanddresses Rubi and the 4Runner. We live in a small town with lots of surrounding farmland (read: deer country) so I knew one of the first mods would be lighting.

After some research I picked up a set of JW Speaker Evo2s and anti-flicker harness from OK4WD.

a70a3a1e652672b4db715c89bd4c30eb.jpg

These are plug-and-play and definitely throw better light.

29f61fa699080f78a8ebf39f8cec8cd0.jpg

2d92f7877521c0672034c11881b205f2.jpg

A day after I installed them I was driving home at night and I spotted a deer at enough distance to avoid a hit. I doubt in that instance the stock lights would have given me the same amount of safe stopping time. I know LEDs aren't cheap but repairing deer damage isn't either. I'm sure I'm partially rationalizing but I'm glad to have made the upgrade.

I still have to dial them in a bit but so far I happy with them. I'll update on their performance overtime.

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I love White Jeeps.. I would have gotten white but my wife hates white vehicles and she talked me into buying a Jeep again..

Hahah I'd call that a win still!

I agree though- Jeeps do look good in white.

It's my first white vehicle so we'll see how it goes!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A white Jeeps helps keep a cool head.

What an awesome start! :beer:

I've seen some really sweet JKRUs in white. It's literally like a blank slate, and they don't show trail-stripes as bad either.

Definitely like those Molle Seat Panels. Just did a google search, and found out they are made in Virginia! How awesome is that!
I will be adding them to the Jeep, and to the Scout.
Thanks for posting up the shots! :wings:
Looking forward to following along with your build.

Scott

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Congrats on the new ride Matt! Really excited to watch your build progress and watch this rig take shape. :)

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Thanks guys! its good to be back!

Scott - glad to hear it. they seem like solid guys making some good stuff right here in the US.

Was your 4runner a trail edition?
Yes - Trail Edition with KDSS

Didn't know you had a Dirtydog Cargo divider! Good man!

thanks Jamie - only the good stuff!

Lookin good Matt. Hope to see you back in Vermont this year.

Thanks Bob! we'll definitely be in VT for the rally and at least on day trip. look forward to seeing you up there!

I'll update more soon!

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Bigger Mods Part 1

Got Jeep back last week from our local shop (OK4WD) and have been grinning all week. In addition to the mods the DMV finally transferred my license plate from the 4Runner!

First round of the major mods is complete. We've been completely happy with the AEV gear on our 2 door (both in function and form) so I decided that the new Jeep would get a similar build.

c15050a9b296fa4089546c27713ff19f.jpg

Starting with the back - AEV rear bumper & tire carrier. The design back here is smart & functional....its a big swiss army knife waiting to be customized! I liked the OR-Fab carrier on my last JK - it didn't rattle & held my Rotopax firmly but it wasn't integrated with the tailgate. Sounds silly but opening/closing separately got old.

6d8c35bb6580be2d8fe028a0649d0764.jpg

For the front I'm running the AEV bumper with hoop (just a little extra protection) with a Warn Zeon 10-S. Clean lines and the winch tucks in neatly.

d4520c89d9f6dc3a5821c4b9ce85a641.jpg

OK installed a winch cutoff switch & bracket for just a little extra security.

Final addition was a heat reduction hood & snorkel. Their paint guy did a really nice job on the hood & the Gen 2 snorkel just looks good. We live in a river town & our area sees frequent enough flooding that its nice to have a snorkel again. The JK air intake is low/vulnerable if you adventure near water. We had a friend hydrolock in the smallest of puddles just by the way the water splashed up. I consider the snorkel cheap insurance that as a bonus looks ************.

ae9a4120e11b95941db51154309ed466.jpg

The AEV hood is a work of art. Apart from its function, its form is something you can admire every time you drive your Jeep. Some people express concern about the openings in the hood (rain/ice/etc) but its a non-issue. From what I've read Jeep designed it as a wet compartment. My last JKUR/AEV hood had no issues with ice storms, snow storms and torrential rain.

The Jeep looks good now and has a solid foundation. I'm planning on some other additions and lift/tires/wheels will go on this spring. In the meantime I'm enjoying it everyday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior