NOt as good as the Aussie ones but...

TwinStick

Explorer
Just a quick update: We are still loving this camper so far. Nice to be able to put it in the back yard for winter, so we can have our driveway back (30' toyhauler is what we had). Bed slide is done & in. Not perfect but it works great, can come completely out in 10 minutes. I have had about 500 lbs or so in it with no issues yet. Plans are to put 3 extra 20 lb propane tanks (in milk crates) up front, the 82 qt & 50 qt ARB fridge/freezers in it (50 qt being the dedicated freezer). They will run on inverter while driving & plug in to shore power/Honda eu2000i gen when camping. Extra new front & rear driveshafts. Table. Chairs. Tools.

Camper was about $14,500. In case anyone was wondering. We had to order it. Dealer said they did not even know that the Extreme pkg or the Canadian spec a/c unit was even avail in the USA.

Terex

Adventurer
Just a quick update: We are still loving this camper so far. Nice to be able to put it in the back yard for winter, so we can have our driveway back (30' toyhauler is what we had). Bed slide is done & in. Not perfect but it works great, can come completely out in 10 minutes. I have had about 500 lbs or so in it with no issues yet. Plans are to put 3 extra 20 lb propane tanks (in milk crates) up front, the 82 qt & 50 qt ARB fridge/freezers in it (50 qt being the dedicated freezer). They will run on inverter while driving & plug in to shore power/Honda eu2000i gen when camping. Extra new front & rear driveshafts. Table. Chairs. Tools.

Camper was about $14,500. In case anyone was wondering. We had to order it. Dealer said they did not even know that the Extreme pkg or the Canadian spec a/c unit was even avail in the USA.

That's a lot a value for the money, especially when you throw in your ability to problem solve. It should go many places. Two iPads - and a campfire - solve most of our TV viewing issues. ;) My buddy has a similar setup pulling with his F250 diesel super duty.

My wife and I looked at a PowerWagon, but wanted something we could garage, and went with a Grand Cherokee Diesel. It's been a great vehicle for us.

TwinStick

Explorer
The "Extreme Package" is really not that extreme at all really. It gives you a 5-6" lift, 15" 235/75/15 tires (not mud terrain tires by any stretch & IMHO a street tread pattern), enclosed underbelly (some kind of plasticized cardboard) but it seems to be well insulated, 6 sided flex foil insulation all the way around (supposed to be quite a bit better than the reg stuff. The reg a/c unit is some stupid side mount 8000btu jobby, that has a tendency to leak inside the wall (which was strike #1) & we want to travel down south & out west, where it is HOT (strike #2). this one is 13,500 btu, MUCH more cooling power. I have 2, Honda eu2000i generators with a parallel power kit, it run the a/c with no issues.

Like i said, this ain't no "off-road" camper by any stretch, but it will get us off the beaten path nicely. It has enough ground clearance to safely go down a mildly rutted lane way. And, when the weather turns "positively biblical" , it sure is nice to go inside & close the door. We camp a lot around Lake Erie & Lake Ontario & trust me, it can be nice & sunshine one hour & wicked bad storms & wind the next.

Plus, we simply don't have the money to buy what I would really like (a loaded up XVenture) & the wife simply will not agree to spend that much & still be sleeping in a tent. So, for $14,500 ish we got something that we can both live with. A loaded up XVenture is well over 20k & you are still sleeping in a tent. There is a LOT to be said for keeping the Mrs. happy as well. I did up the truck to make up for the campers short falls----tiny fridge & smaller storage.

TwinStick

Explorer
I have a Vizio 24" flat screen & a blue ray dvd player in it. I went to W-World for the tv $128 & full motion mount $50. It comes out for viewing & can be angled to see from the bed or the dinette & tucked back in out of the way when not needed. When traveling, i take it off (1 screw & unplug the wires) & lay it on the bed & strap it down. I made my own L out of 1/2" plywood & some braces, glued & screwed it all together, sprayed it with some textured paint to match the interrior, bolted on the full motion mount & then screwed the whole thing to the top of the area where the tv is supposed to be. There simply was no where that was strong enough (IMHO anyways) to mount to, so i made it myself. Wicked strong now. These campers are a HUGE money maker for them---as more & more people can't afford what they really want. So, I guess that makes us "settlers" (LOL like the tv commercial LOL). But i like things that don't break & work well, so i modify a LOT of stuff to get it to where i want it to be.

TwinStick

Explorer

The 2 black handles have since been removed & it has been coated with 4 coats of a high grade polyurethane wood finish (like a gym floor). It is secured to the bed via the front bed tie downs & turn buckles, yet can be completely taken out in 10 minutes. Yes, those are adjustable height legs to help stabilize & support the weight if i have it all the way extended. Not fancy but it does work. They are oak closet clothes rod inside of pvc pipe with adjustment holes, bolts & wingnuts & an end cap. LOL My redneck bedslide. The truck will be almost level 99.9% of the time when i extend it. I still gotta put a locking pin on each side, so it wont/dont come all the way out when loaded.

Folding table & chairs are gonna go under bed slide, 3 extra propane tanks in milk crates (everything strapped down of course) up front, the 2 ARB's & at least 1 generator, spare parts & some tools. Plan is subject to change, depending on trip locations. Thinking about making something for the rear seat fold flat area out of wood. Shelves, drawers &/or storage. But that will wait till i retire. I still use my truck as a truck & like to be able to remove stuff if need be in a hurry.

Last edited:

Powagoneer

Hey Twinstick! I am looking at getting the same exact travel trailer (2016 model) to pull around behind my 05 PW (GunniPWguy) :) Still liking it? Not that i expect you to know but with all the same add ons does $14,875 Sound about right? Will be upgrading from a Fleetwood Cobalt Pop up for all the same reasons you mentioned earlier. I could use one of those bedboxes too! I like it! Cheers

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes, we are still liking it a LOT. Yes, that figure sounds about right. Ours was $14,500-$14,800---give or take. Plan on a new mattress. Bed box was time consuming but easy. No diagrams or schematics, I just went off of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1Sx_tldHs

I made my undershelf 3 2x4's high, instead of 2, for more room underneath. It is also held down in front w/2 turnbuckles & J hooks, to the bed tiedowns. I absolutely LOVE it.

Raymom

Wish I'd seen this thread first

I so wish that I had read this thread first before purchasing our Starcraft AR one 18QB. We didn't realize that there was an extreme version or an optional AC! We live in Florida and you'd think the dealers would have told us or at least stocked the extreme version with the larger AC unit. It takes a while for the AC to catch up when set up in the hot Florida sun. We love the unit but the 'extreme' would have suited us better. I am suffering acute buyers remorse! We did put a memory foam topper on the mattress and that made my bones happier. We also purchased a 'Tote N Store' to use for dumping so we don't have to disconnect the camper and drive it over to the dump station while on an extended stay. The 5 inch difference in height would have definitely made a difference because it's murder to empty now. The 'Tote N Store' sits too high so I actually have to turn the hose to pump, or disconnect it altogether, in order to drain. Love the storage in the AR one though. And I love the layout. We added a television that we had around the house which is still a little large for the AR one and sit it on the counter. We threaded the connection wires through the cabinet so it isn't a messy looking set up.

Has anyone winterized the unit themselves? I've tried figuring it out, but the directions are universal to all of the Starcraft products and I can't figure out the drain configuration. Please note that because I am an RN, I understand human plumbing but can't, for the life of me, figure out RV plumbing. If anyone has done it and can provide a step by step with pics, I would be so thankful. It's such an up-charge to have the dealer do it.

Thanks and glad to have found this site as it is quite informative. As you can tell, I'm a newbie.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman