Need help with safest route

Devonoel

Hope I'm in the right place. Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and hope to learn some great things hear. I'm going on a trip from Nashville,TN to Denver, Colorado then to Lake Tahoe and then finally to Portland Oregon just wondering what was the safest and with the least elevation possible. I'm new at RVing and my rig is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel 2wd quad cab long bed. The RV is a 31' fifth wheel camper. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

Can't help with the beginning of your trip, but for Tahoe area I would say your best bet is to go down 80 towards sacremento then take I-5 all the way up to Oregon, should give you the least elevation/hills. Tahoe itself is fairly high up however. Let me know if you want more detailed instructions

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Can't help with the beginning of your trip, but for Tahoe area I would say your best bet is to go down 80 towards sacremento then take I-5 all the way up to Oregon, should give you the least elevation/hills. Tahoe itself is fairly high up however. Let me know if you want more detailed instructions

^ agreed. 80 will have a climb up over the Donner Pass its a slow grind, you just tuck in with the trucks and enjoy the sights for the slow pull over the pass, its not bad just a grind. I5 north only gets challenging as you climb up out of Redding and pass through Shasta area no big climbs but its a two lane curvy ride where you just take your time and its fine. Then you have a pretty decent climb over the pass at the State line into Oregon again its not bad just a grind and you may want to eye ball temps given 2-3pm temps in that area and Redding can be 100+ you may want to time your trip through in the morning or late evening for cooler temps. Dropping down into Ashland/Medford is steep gear down and give your brakes some moments of non use to cool them off slow up then get off them for a short stint don't just ride them or you'll be smoking and burning up brake gear on that drop off the pass into Ashland. The next pass is steep but temps typically are cooler and the road is in good shape you just settle in for a grind and enjoy the views etc.

You could hit 96 just before Weed CA which runs father EAST slower road but flatter than 80 less traffic and a major truckers route. Just watch out for the deer! Herds of them cross the road and all the truckers run massive brush guards on this route I've seen lots of smashed cars and trucks along this route due to the deer population which is just insane! Talking 30-40 head crossing the highway together.

I would not cross over to Tahoe on Kingsbury grade at South Lake that would not be fun and the road is not as well formatted for the heavy loaded rig etc.

justcuz

Explorer
Ditto on the deer! Went up through middle Oregon and Washington last May, saw tons of deer and came close a couple times to hitting a couple. They will congregate in shady spots alongside the road and decide to cross at the most inopportune times!

Also, might want to post this in the more specific area threads(4 corners, ca and Nevada, etc.) as I feel more locals check those and could provide you with the best route in their area. Patch them all together and you should have it!

underdrive

jackwagon
You could hit 96 just before Weed CA which runs father EAST slower road but flatter than 80 less traffic and a major truckers route. Just watch out for the deer! Herds of them cross the road and all the truckers run massive brush guards on this route I've seen lots of smashed cars and trucks along this route due to the deer population which is just insane! Talking 30-40 head crossing the highway together.
That is the single most important reason why all of our trucks look like they can drive thru a reinforced concrete wall without taking much damage. We did run into one of those herds you speak of, the mess was quite impressive - thankfully we had the big truck so we only lost one headlight IIRC, but the aftermath was not a sight for the faint of heart, kinda felt bad about whoever would be driving thru there shortly afterwards and had little children aboard. Wildlife strikes are also why we recommend anyone who plans on traveling far away from home with a camper or trailer of any kind to equip their vehicle with the strongest front bumper they deem reasonable, as in case of an accident they now have either two vehicles to deal with (truck AND trailer), or a single vehicle that requires a fairly specific tow truck to be sent for it (loading a truck with a big slide-in on a rollback, not just no but he** no).

Oh, and since this is a diesel truck, and will have some decent grades to descend with a somewhat heavy load behind it, take a look into what it would cost you to have an exhaust brake installed. It's not the end-all-be-all solution to mountain passes, and it's never going to be quite as effective as the compression-release engine brakes the big trucks have, but it sure will make the ride down the mountains safer, and also quite a bit less stressful for someone who's fairly new to that experience (which also amounts to more safety, as a stressed-out driver is generally-speaking an unsafe driver).

rayra

Expedition Leader
What time of year / season, heat and snow/ice considerations.

And what's the leeway on the route and travel time, lots of great places to visit along that way or not far out of the way, Yellowstone, Moab etc

eta there's a whole section for adventure planning and subforum for north America, too
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/14-North-America

This section is more about domestic vehicles, rather than travel in the US.. Contact a Mod, maybe they can move it for you. And welcome aboard.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That is the single most important reason why all of our trucks look like they can drive thru a reinforced concrete wall without taking much damage. We did run into one of those herds you speak of, the mess was quite impressive - thankfully we had the big truck so we only lost one headlight IIRC, but the aftermath was not a sight for the faint of heart, kinda felt bad about whoever would be driving thru there shortly afterwards and had little children aboard. Wildlife strikes are also why we recommend anyone who plans on traveling far away from home with a camper or trailer of any kind to equip their vehicle with the strongest front bumper they deem reasonable, as in case of an accident they now have either two vehicles to deal with (truck AND trailer), or a single vehicle that requires a fairly specific tow truck to be sent for it (loading a truck with a big slide-in on a rollback, not just no but he** no).

Oh, and since this is a diesel truck, and will have some decent grades to descend with a somewhat heavy load behind it, take a look into what it would cost you to have an exhaust brake installed. It's not the end-all-be-all solution to mountain passes, and it's never going to be quite as effective as the compression-release engine brakes the big trucks have, but it sure will make the ride down the mountains safer, and also quite a bit less stressful for someone who's fairly new to that experience (which also amounts to more safety, as a stressed-out driver is generally-speaking an unsafe driver).

I passed through there September last yr 12midnight in my Subaru. Never broke 60mph and was on high alert for about 3hrs till we hit the Columbia. No damage but I came to a stop twice for big groups crossing the road.

underdrive

jackwagon
I passed through there September last yr 12midnight in my Subaru. Never broke 60mph and was on high alert for about 3hrs till we hit the Columbia. No damage but I came to a stop twice for big groups crossing the road.
Our mess happened also after dark but in visibility conditions that made our long-range driving lights not only worthless but even dangerous to use. Could have still stopped no problem if it were an actual emergency like something blocking the lanes, but wasn't about to risk jack-knifing on account of some suicidal 4-legged ninja ************** ambushing from the side...

Flyinbronco

Observer
Another option for the Tahoe to Portland route would be take Hwy 395 North out of Reno Nevada into eastern Oregon where you connect with Highway 20. Highway 20 west gets you to Bend Oregon. From there take Highway 97 to Madras where you can connect with Highway 26 which takes you into Portland.

While there are a few grades along this route they are nothing compared to Donner pass on I-80 or the steep climb on I-5 near Mt. Shasta, Ashland and Grants Pass. Granted it has a lot of two lane highways but the scenery is spectacular.

Safe travels which ever way you choose.

82fb

Adventurer
Another option for the Tahoe to Portland route would be take Hwy 395 North out of Reno Nevada into eastern Oregon where you connect with Highway 20. Highway 20 west gets you to Bend Oregon. From there take Highway 97 to Madras where you can connect with Highway 26 which takes you into Portland.

While there are a few grades along this route they are nothing compared to Donner pass on I-80 or the steep climb on I-5 near Mt. Shasta, Ashland and Grants Pass. Granted it has a lot of two lane highways but the scenery is spectacular.

Safe travels which ever way you choose.

Ditto. Any route other than I5 will be so much more enjoyable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior