Tight budget Disco 2 build

Redman333

Adventurer
Will post some pics soon. I bought a 2000 disco 2 off of a service manager for a Land Rover dealer. He bought it off of one of his long time customers. The engine had just been out and resealed before I got it. As a result I literally have a disco with 0 leaks. Amazing! Anyway Its not without faults. The passenger up stream 02 is bad. Seems to read sometimes but most of the time doesn't. The cargo door lock does the same. Seems to work sometimes and others no. I recently had the old style coolant bleed screw break on me. Luckily I smelled the coolant and pulled over before my engine coolant temp warning even came on from my scan guage(which I have set to go off at 213F). $113 later for the new hose assembly and some coolant and shes back on the road. I did have the starter go bad on me at probably the worst possibly time. Had 0 warning and it was a complete failure, couldn't even be rebuilt. It wen out on me on Portsmouth island in the NC Outer Banks. The tow cost me $450 and the starter $100 and I put it on later that week at my home. All the fluids had been done with records as well as a chassis greasing. On to the info. Oh, also needs a headliner, go figure. Will add to this as I see fit and will have some pic up a bit later of whats currently on the vehicle.

Things done so far

Cleaned inside and out-free
new starter-$100
new upper coolant hoses-$113
have new tires at the house(should go on tomorrow)have about $420 into these
ordered a 2" lift(hopefully here by Friday)$179 ebay spring spacer(not sure I'll like this setup)
installed a engel fridge($450 craigslist special)
inverter installed
40" LED light bar installed-$100

Have to do yet

Alignment
paint wheels
install lift once here
install tires yet
install CB

Here it is when first purchased

Here is how she sits now

First real trip with it to Portsmouth Island in the NC Outer Banks.

Thought this was a cool shot. My GF whitney first waking up. The hood is open to access my inverter.

Got the windows tinted to 5% all around and a strip across the top of the windshield. In hind sight I would have probably gone lighter and maybe only gotten 35% all around

LED light bar install

Just put the bumper back on

Here is the LED Light bar installed.

This is one of the new set of tires that will be going on tomorrow.

Finally got the tires mounted and balanced and painted the roof rack and installed the said roof rack. The roof rack was a pain and I think it accelerated the fixing of my headliner. Will have to do that soon. So far no driving has caused it to rub, not even once. I still need to cycle the suspension. Some though to see if it runs then.

Last edited:

Redman333

Adventurer
You forgot a New Motor :sombrero:

Why do you think it's a tight budget. Have to have 6Gs for a new engine one day. Honestly though the engine feels great, nice and strong. Doesn't mean it won't fail but I'm really not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redman333

Adventurer
Uploaded most of the pics I have at the moment. That pretty much brings this project current. I hope to have some more pics tomorrow once I actually have the tires mounted. The lift should be in by the end of this week but probably won't be able to install it for a couple weeks which is fine because the tires that I got are goodyear duratrac 235/85R16 and everything I saw for that size was in between. some said they rubbed a lot and needed a lift and others said it was fine with no issues. So I'll get a chance to drive around on these without a lift and see where I'm at. If I remember I'll try and take some before and after measurements.

Exploder
Check the front driveshaft. The factory joints are non-greaseable. They'll fail and the shaft will knock a hole in the side of the transmission.

Redman333

Adventurer
They are greasable. I was going to swap it out but it has already been done by a previous owner.

Last edited:

Exploder
I'd go ahead and change the coolant and brake fluid soon. To further baseline the truck and because winter's coming.

Also, how was Portsmouth Island? My wife loves the beach but I hate the crowds. Going there sounds like a way to please both of us. I'll make sure I pack the Pelican full of spares :sombrero:

Redman333

Adventurer
I just did the coolant when I swapped to the updated upper radiator hose. Brake fluid would be good though thanks for the tip.

Redman333

Adventurer
Well didn't get the tires on today rescheduled for tomorrow. The local pick n pull got in a non wrecked 04 disco. So I went and grabbed the larger roof rails and they also had the cross bars attached so I got those too. I also got a new center cup holder since I broke mine a while back. Then I tore the cdl linkage out of it. That was a bit of a pain. So I think I'll try and installing the roof rails tonight and maybe do the cdl next weekend. Got all of that for $60 by the way.

757fb7fb3e14f5b39a7a228704cdeb5a.jpg

Redman333

Adventurer
Yea no kidding. That's why I rescheduled the tire install. I always check the site for new discos popping up. Saw it and went there on my lunch just to see what was available on the vehicle still. Didn't bring any tools since I only have 30min for lunch. As soon as I saw it I couldn't wait to get off work to get my parts lol.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Very cool. I think the DiscoII looks weird without the tube style roof rails. I assume you took these off a 2003+? Maybe go back and grab the facelifted grill and headlights as well?

Redman333

Adventurer
Very cool. I think the DiscoII looks weird without the tube style roof rails. I assume you took these off a 2003+? Maybe go back and grab the facelifted grill and headlights as well?

They were from an 04 but the headlights and grill were gone already. Otherwise I would have grabbed those too.

Redman333

Adventurer
Nice Disco!

Have any use for the Greensboro Land Rover Tire Cover? My wife and I are from Greensboro.

I don't but I do believe I threw it away along with the hat he gave me lol. I'll look to see if I still have it though. If I do I'll shoot you a pm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior