Jeep Wrangler 2 door Gullwing door

mikebrewer

I'm planning on making a custom gullwing door similar to those found on a land rover defender 110 for the JK 2 door jk to add extra ease of use when reaching for things inside the cab and possibly a box for storage. This install would only require the removal of the driver side hardtop window and the new door would be fastened into the space. the look of the installed product would be seamless and flow perfectly with the inset of the hardtop and have an OEM look. It will be available in an all powder coated aluminum door, a completely glass version as well as there being and option for a half and half system using tinted non marring plastic.future versions would have the options for removable upgrades such as an interior storage box or tray table. let me know if anybody is interested in this concept as i am in the final stages of creating a prototype. At the moment i am unsure what the correct price point is but I'm open to hear all ideas.

update-im nearing the completion of the door check out the most recent pages for new photos.

Attachments

• frontrunner_gullwing_door_defender_1.jpg
    frontrunner_gullwing_door_defender_1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 161
  • defender-gullwing-door-2.jpg
    defender-gullwing-door-2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 57
  • dol-lrgd-4.jpg
    dol-lrgd-4.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

Gonzzo

Observer
My son rides in the back seat, would there be an option for a clear window that would open like you plan?.

Something like the first picture on your post.

Thank you for your time.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
For me, a tinted window would be ideal, and not one of those storage get-ups either (however, I can see how some might like something like that).

Gonzzo

Observer
I just re-read the original post. I could live with a half and half. Will you only make it for the driver side?, I'd like it on both sides and if it was field removable would be the bomb!.....

Definitely interested!!!!.......

zelatore

Explorer
I read the title and was afraid this was going to link to some crazy lambo-door hacked onto a JK.

Color me relieved.

Carry on.

(none)

Adventurer
That would be very handy. Another thought would be to have it still flip up, but if the window was a slider as well. So the window could be slid open from the inside for driving with the windows open, dog head hanging out. And lift open the window to load/unload.

Slider i'm referring to is like used in the 80 series land cruisers. I really liked mine.
s-l225.jpg

or even if the windows can be held vented partway open like RV windows.

Great work, i'm excited to see the outcome.

Or if you can just vent the

mikebrewer

It will be possible to get it on both sides of the vehicle, i only mentioned it being on the driver side to limit the interference with blind spots on the passenger side. the clear window version will is made to account for that.

mikebrewer

The most practical version I'm seeing is a window that has a small portion or half the surface as a powder coated aluminum sheet to support flush mounted locks and the other half as a tinted or clear lexan. Hydraulic arms would lift the window up upon unlocking. Preferably i would want the window to be removable but i don't know the logistics of that, considering the rivet mounting system i have planned of install with that said, were still working on the best form of installation with the least amount of damage to the hardtop body. I'm still in the process of creating the perfect system to meet peoples needs. Please let me know what you think would make this better, I'm open to all ideas.

also still working on pricing. the ones from front runner are pretty expensive($500-700), and it seems like that is the general theme online for these things. let me know what you think a fair price is.

Last edited:

Terex

Adventurer
That would be very handy. Another thought would be to have it still flip up, but if the window was a slider as well. So the window could be slid open from the inside for driving with the windows open, dog head hanging out. And lift open the window to load/unload.

Slider i'm referring to is like used in the 80 series land cruisers. I really liked mine.

or even if the windows can be held vented partway open like RV windows.

Great work, i'm excited to see the outcome.

Or if you can just vent the

Hehr makes fold-up windows with inside release and gas struts. I have them on my VMI Canyon. The 4228 is the one. Size is custom within mfg. limits but only fits flat panel. http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=36

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hehr makes fold-up windows with inside release and gas struts. I have them on my VMI Canyon. The 4228 is the one. Size is custom within mfg. limits but only fits flat panel. http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=36

As you said, they only fit on flat panels - the window mounting surface of the JK is curved in two directions. Unless the curves are dealt with in some way, windows like those are likely not to seal well and not to hinge well.

mikebrewer

My son rides in the back seat, would there be an option for a clear window that would open like you plan?.

Something like the first picture on your post.

Thank you for your time.
there will be a few options, one of which is a completely clear window with the lift up access features.

hpierce301

Adventurer
how about a rear, and sides for an XJ too? once the process is worked out for the JK. I'd love to be able to open my rear window some days.

Gonzzo

Observer
Buying a hard top this Sunday! ........
Chomping at the bit for more information on these windows.......!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman