Power Wagon is awesome BUT... F350 with locker is probably better

RPS

What are you full size truck people thinking about this comparison, I would like to hear feedback.

Why not compare the regular Ram with the Superduty? The Winch/Lockers/SwayBar/Payload are specific to the PW and could be aftermarket equipped with either regular model realisticlly.

While shopping a few months ago, I drove both a Ram 2500 and a PowerWagon with the 6.4. The 4.10s and 33s on the PW seemed to be a mismatch with the Transmission while the regular tires/gears seemed ok.

Ram 2500 is coils all around currently while keeping normalish 3/4 ton payload at a price comparable to the Ford. Both go to leafs in the rear on the 1 tons.

kmcoop7

Observer
dodge

In my experience a dodge/ram is the best performing pick up off the road. I have owned 1/2 ton and 1 ton ford and dodge trucks, and could take the dodges further any time. I have driven my CCLB 2014 ram with a cummins and 37's places most people only take quads. Never a hiccup. Tons of traction, good articulation (better with Carli/thuren suspension).

The only thing I like better about fords is skid plating. The exhaust components on my diesel are expensive and vunerable, plus if you rip them off while wheeling the truck goes into limp mode which to me is just ridiculous. This is the main reason I may delete.

I think they both will hold up well to abuse, the Dodge/Ram will simply take you more places but not many. You loose payload in either a ford or dodge if you upgrade to Carli suspension anyhow, you can get it back with air bags in either if you need it.

Bottom line, buy which truck you like driving around and looking at better. both will work.

Also......full size trucks make spectacular off roaders with proper mods. Don't let the naysayers tell you other wise!

TwinStick

Explorer
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...l.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pn=ARBRD167

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Air-Comp...aspx?t_c=89&t_s=566&t_pt=4644&t_pn=ARBCKMTA12

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100700&t_pn=WAR47801

As you can see, to give a truck the same basic options as a Power Wagon, it gets VERY expensive, VERY quickly. $1200 for front locker, $1200 for rear locker, $520 for an air compressor, $1700 for the winch. Bear in mind that this DOES NOT include labor, winch cradle/bumper, installation of compressor or air lines or fittings.

Power Wagons also have a factory (almost a) 2" lift, special Alcoa forged alum rims, Bilstein shocks, full skid plating, swaybar disconnect, mine has 4.56 gears (new ones have 4.10's).

To do all these things to a new truck would cost considerably more than the $6200 that my P26 Power Wagon option cost me when we ordered our 2008'. Just things to keep in mind. Do your research & get what you are comfortable with. Your money, your choice.

All trucks have compromises. Get one that fits your needs best, because they ALL have issues---ALL of them.

Dan C

Dan C
Fullsize Adventure.

As you can see, to give a truck the same basic options as a Power Wagon, it gets VERY expensive, VERY quickly. $1200 for front locker, $1200 for rear locker, $520 for an air compressor, $1700 for the winch. Bear in mind that this DOES NOT include labor, winch cradle/bumper, installation of compressor or air lines or fittings.

Power Wagons also have a factory (almost a) 2" lift, special Alcoa forged alum rims, Bilstein shocks, full skid plating, swaybar disconnect, mine has 4.56 gears (new ones have 4.10's).

To do all these things to a new truck would cost considerably more than the $6200 that my P26 Power Wagon option cost me when we ordered our 2008'. Just things to keep in mind. Do your research & get what you are comfortable with. Your money, your choice.

All trucks have compromises. Get one that fits your needs best, because they ALL have issues---ALL of them.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely LOVE your last comment about all truck brands having issues. Down here in Florida, we get a lot of mud / water on the trails in the Apalachicola Forest, Ocala Forest, Citrus WMA, the Green Swamp, etc... Even with the best of waterproofing intentions, don't get me started on Super Duty and Ram "Unit Bearings" in the front ends. The real fix for this comes from the aftermarket (Spyntec or Dynatrac) but once again, it's only money. I would rather have the adventures and accept the maintenance issues that come along with our chosen vehicles for travel to places most other people will only see on an internet video. Should the original poster decide to go full size for what ever reasons, I don't think that he could go wrong with either brand.

projected

Adventurer
The reason I am comparing the F350 to the PW is because it too has a higher lift over a standard F250 (similar to the lift difference between a standard 2500 and a PW), the F350 offers a very good amount of lift stock, good enough that I wouldn't want the negatives of installing an aftermarket lift. From what I've read 35's are doable with a stock F350. The undercarriage is very smooth and tucked up out of harms way very nicely, and it has huge ground clearance.

It also has an available rear locker (An actual E-Locker, not LSD) with available 4.30 gears which are perfect for 35's without having to re-gear after the fact. With 4.30's and the locker you can definitely purchase a new F350 for mid to upper 30's. A 2016 PW starts at $52,355. In my experience speaking to dealers (prior to realizing the 1400lbs payload, which is worse than many 1/2 ton payload ratings) there aren't major discounts on PW's like on the standard 2500/3500's. I can surely purchase and install a winch bumper, winch, and front locker for less than $10,000. And then have a truck that can carry twice as much payload, locked front and rear with a winch and bumper, and has a better performing drive train (based on tests I've read and watched) for hauling heavy loads, which is the only reason I'm considering a monster truck to begin with. To move heavy stuff to remote areas. Down the road I could see myself using an F350 with a popup and flat towing my dream Rubicon.

The only reason I would torture myself with a truck as large as a HD truck is so I can haul heavy to remote areas. So for me, the penalty of a massive truck without the ability to haul massive things just doesn't make sense. I'm not saying I don't drool over PW's every time I see one (even WITH the graphics that are delete-able :bike_rider: ) But for me, keyword me, it just doesn't make sense. If I don't want to carry a pop up slide in, and possibly flat tow a Jeep, I'll stick with my Frontier, a 4runner, or maybe a dream Rubicon JKU.

I think I just sold myself on the F350 :victory: haha

EDIT: I just want to make it very clear that I love the PW, I'm not trying to start a fight or poo poo the PW. I'm looking at these trucks for my specific wants and needs, not anyone elses. When I see a PW I want it, I talk to the owner about it, I'm envious of that owner, but I can't justify the purchase. The F350 adds in some extra utility that makes a large monster truck purchase make more sense for me.

Last edited:

projected

Adventurer
Fwiw here is my dad in his 2014 CCSB diesel FX4. He has racked up a few hundred miles in the dirt with it, biggest gripes are the small fuel tank(replaced with a 52gal) and with the factory 20" wheels you can't air down much. But the ride is still incredibly smooth for 10-15 miles untill the tiny stock Rancho shocks over heat.

Steel pass in Death Valley. A wrangler rubicon watched him crawl through here, said "I don't do rocks" and turned back, LOL
cb5a594b677d229c37a02cd20b350ad5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a great picture (and video)!!

projected

Adventurer
My PW stickered at $52 in 2012. Bought it for $40. You can get way under the sticker,

Well that changes things... The two dealers I talked when the 6.4 just came out had me thinking they were limited availability and were barely discounted. I guess they were doing their job well.

Maybe because the 6.4 just came out?

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Love my 2016 power wagon! Leveling kit and 37" tires, I'm happy. Don't forget about warranty, once you start cracking open the front diff for your front locker they ford could be a pain. With the PW it's all factory and covered under warranty including the winch. It all depends on what you plan to do with the truck as stated by all the previous folks. For me and mine the power wagon is great.
image.jpg

kmcoop7

Observer
ford

Sounds like you are sold on the ford! Go get it, and wheel the snot out of it. Take some pics for us. The best advice in any of these threads is to get the one YOU like best and like driving the best. Take one of each home for the night and drive the family/significant other around in it.

One more comment just to confuse you............I wouldn't hesitate to drop 2500lbs in the back of a power wagon and run it around on some trails. You won't be able to go fast, but I wouldn't go fast in an f350 with 1.25 tons in the bed either.

I do agree though......an F350xl crew cab short bed with fx4 package makes for a pretty good wheeler......but then so does a Ram 3500 tradesman CCSB. The ram tradesman will be a few thousand cheaper than the ford, and have a WAY better interior than the XL ford.

For the record........the only truck I wouldn't buy is a chevy! YOu need a 6" lift to clear 35's in those square wheel wells

PowerWagner

Explorer
Well that changes things... The two dealers I talked when the 6.4 just came out had me thinking they were limited availability and were barely discounted. I guess they were doing their job well.

Maybe because the 6.4 just came out?

Maybe. They also may be slightly more popular than in 2012. Anyway, I bet you can negotiate your way down from sticker by a substantial amount. I had a hard time finding a PW when I was looking. But when I found a couple, every dealer was looking to move them. I don't think they sell all that well. I'm okay with that. Downside I've found is dealer specific service is lacking. They don't know what a PW is and how to maintain them. I had one service manager ask me " you take that offroad" when I needed a skid plate fixed... Lol...

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I've been following this and a few other threads for ideas, opinions and experience with full size trucks. Made my decision to go with a Ram 2500 after test drives and some research. Really wanted to get a manual transmission and can't complain about having it coupled with the Cummins. The turning circle is pretty good. An Unlimited Rubicon is 41.2', the Ram 2500 Crew Cab, short bed is 43.8'. The F250 Crew Cab, short bed pushes out to 51.8'. I also ended up going with Dennis Dillon Dodge in ID. It's an order truck so I'll have to wait a while to get to play with it. Plan to put a FWC on the back and use it for some more weather proof camping and as a tow rig for the Jeep on longer trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste