Any issues with Britpart D3/LR3 rear driveshaft/propshaft?

hillstrubl

Observer
My LR3 needs a new carrier bearing, looks like a simple swap to a new driveshaft. I put on a new Britpart one but there is a tiny gap regardless of how tight the bolts are where it meets the rear diff flange. Because of this gap there is a BIG vibration when at highway speeds. The truck has balanced tires, recent alignment and the vibes disappeared when we swapped back the old/bad rear driveshaft.

My concern is that there is a manufacturing flaw and a new/replacement Britpart shaft will have the same problem. Any insight to this?

normal_gap.jpg

EricTyrrell

Expo God
My LR3 needs a new carrier bearing, looks like a simple swap to a new driveshaft. I put on a new Britpart one but there is a tiny gap regardless of how tight the bolts are where it meets the rear diff flange. Because of this gap there is a BIG vibration when at highway speeds. The truck has balanced tires, recent alignment and the vibes disappeared when we swapped back the old/bad rear driveshaft.

My concern is that there is a manufacturing flaw and a new/replacement Britpart shaft will have the same problem. Any insight to this?

normal_gap.jpg

I'd return it to the vendor and try a new one. Put a flat edge on the replacement before installing. If it's still off, return it and buy from another source.

hillstrubl

Observer
Working with them now. One thing about your suggestion. Its not that its too short (eg, doesn't reach the flange) its seems more than its just not flat.

A.J.M

Explorer
Welcome to Britparts quality control.

They are known as ****part for a good reason.

Return it and buy from somewhere else. Or try your local dealer and haggle on the price. It's what I do and I can get up to 25% off if I pester them enough.

dsm02c

Adventurer
Didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread, but maybe take it to a driveshaft shop and have them balance it... I had a carbon driveshaft in my track car many moons ago and I had to do that... Really annoying vibration past 65 to about 120... $70 fixed that right up...

Elbee

Adventurer
Dont buy Britpart for anything mechanical for like stuff that that moves or articulates. Plastic bits and trim, but wouldn't do much more.

I called around several dealers, they all want between $725-900 for it, haggling isn't an option apparently.

Have you looked around for a low mileage salvage yard pull for your parts? Finding a wrecked LR3/4 on the mainland can't be too hard. Do a pull, send out for media blast, paint and install. You might be able to find a perfectly good complete shaft and maybe it's bolted to a locker diff too. I say this because I now know how easy it is for an insurance company to total an LR of our year. I had a fairly minor front end damage and because the support was cracked and the radiator hit the fan, they totaled it. I bought mine back for cheap cuz I knew I could fix it no problem. Most wont do that and the parts go to salvage in perfectly good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior