80 Series Wheel Question

MandAtaco

Observer
Hey guys, asking this here as I figured you guys would probably know! I picked up a set of rims from a 97 last weekend for my 4Runner. Three of them are chrome, and one of them is the polished (Believe it was the spare of the truck they came off of). I've been looking around trying to see if I could find another Chrome one but they seem rare? Was the chrome an odd ball option or something?

I want to paint them Bronze, so I don't know if having one polished vs the chrome will matter anyway after sanding/primer/paint. But I want a matching spare, so if I could start with a 4th chrome on the ground, that would be great.

Thanks for any insight!

peneumbra

Explorer
Rather than paint them, consider having them powder coated. Lasts longer, looks better - in fact, here in AZ, they've recently changed the name of the Painted Desert to the Powder Coated Desert...

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
I've NEVER seen a stock original 80 wheel in chrome. rarely I've seen a 100 in chrome. 60 in chrome all day long....never an 80 series.

MandAtaco

Observer
Rather than paint them, consider having them powder coated. Lasts longer, looks better - in fact, here in AZ, they've recently changed the name of the Painted Desert to the Powder Coated Desert...
Yea the thought has crossed my mind, was just looking at paint for price/ease of touch up.

I've NEVER seen a stock original 80 wheel in chrome. rarely I've seen a 100 in chrome. 60 in chrome all day long....never an 80 series.
Thats why I asked, I keep reading that they were never offered, or that they were offered, but are rare option.

Anyways, its probably a mute point now. I realized they wont fit over the Tundra 231 brakes I'm running on the front of my Runner. Should have found that out first I guess. So I'll just kick these down the road. Thanks for the responses!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I think the lexus version ran some chrome wheels. I could be wrong.

But to answer your question, good prep with scuffing, sanding, priming etc should have no effect on the finish of the wheels once done. I think you will get a uniform look from them all. Prep is the key. If it was me, I'd look into soda blasting or similar to get a clean even surface with no elbow grease, but I am getting lazy as I get older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior