2002 Ford F-150

Jerry

Adventurer
A FORD F-150??????

Why mess around trying to make a Ford F-150 into an expedition style vehicle? The answer is because it was there. Low miles, 30,000 on the clock and although it is not the most desirable platform it should make a dependable rig and it would be a shame to waste what we already have.

It's an extended cab, short box (138" WB) and has the distinction of being a 7700 Series, the equivalent of the original 3/4 ton rigs. It has a big 10.25" rear axle with an 8.8" front so the undercarriage is pretty tough. It's powered by a 5.4 V8, a HD auto tranny, electrically controlled transfer case and automatic hubs. We have added a few goodies for the trail...

2.5" Leveling Kit
Stock 7 lug wheels
LT255/85R16 BFG MT's (33" pizza cutters)
Stock axles with 3.73's, LS in rear, open front
Warn Trans4mer Winch Mount
Warn M12000 Winch
Tire Gate swing-away spare tire carrier with gas can holders
KC Highlighters 130w off road lamps (2)
Flip-Pac Camper Canopy
Custom cabinets in pickup bed
Intimidator dual batteries
Vi-Air 400 electric air compressor
Garmin NUVI 5000 GPS with Topo USA
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx with Topo USA
HP Slate 500 with Windows 7 and seven NG TOPO! State Maps
300 W Pure Sine Wave inverter
Cobra 148GTL AM/SSB CB
Icom 706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF
Yaesu FT7900R VHF/UHF
Hamsticks for 10, 20, 40 and 75 meters
Hustler verticals for 20, 40 and 75 meters
NVIS wire
6-75 meter Off Center Fed Dipole on 23' fiberglass extension pole
Elk 2m/44 log periodic beam
Long and short dual band 2m/70cm antennas for garage and open spaces
Long and short CB antennas for garage and open space

K7PNW, JERRY & EVELYN'S F-150 WITH FLIP-PAC CAMPER CANOPY

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Hey, nice rig! Nothing wrong with building up any vehicle of your choice. See, you just got praise from a bowtie guy!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice setup! The fact that there AREN'T a bunch of F150's on here makes it that much cooler. I second KC's request to see some interior shots.

jim65wagon

soggymountain said:
Why mess around trying to make a Ford F-150 into an expedition style vehicle? The answer is because it was there.

Is there any other reason needed? That's why we use the Tundra - it was in the garage. No need buying another vehicle when a perfectly workable, and capable vehicle is already there. As long as it meets your needs it doesn't matter if it's an H1 Hummer, an F150, or a VW Bus.

BTW, nice F150. Love the Flip pac and I want to see the cabinets too!

Oh and that's praise from a Toyota guy...

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Hey, I know that rig!

Yeah, put in a few miles chasing it around Oregon and Washington, and hope to put in many more.

Yeah, its a nice set up.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Welcome! Nice rig, I just sold my 99 F150 - couldn't figure out why I needed two ...

Many more pics requested of the custom cabinets in the flippac, some of us are still building :)

ACom

Nice set up Soggy.

You're not the only F150 guy here but we are for sure out numbered. Here's a few pics of my rig with FWC. We've yet to not get to where we want to go with it be it in the mountains or the beach. A little bit large for some tight spots but I don't mind the Rocky Mountain Pinstripping either and I do appreciate the comfort. I just need to find a nice front bumper/winch set up like yours now.
View attachment 21602

View attachment 21601

View attachment 21603

Jerry

Adventurer
Yours is the real McCoy, ACom. Can't beat Four Wheel Campers. We considered pop-ups, but for what little we camp out we decided on a less expensive alternative. Actually I had purchased a truck tent that I thought would work for us, and it is really a pretty slick deal. But, while setting up the tent for the first (and only) time I pictured myself doing it in a rain storm and quickly came to the conclusion that a Flip-Pac was the way to go for this old timer. Anybody want to buy a one-time-out-of-the-box truck tent?

Thanks to others who have commented and requested photos of the storage compartments. Imagine storage boxes built of 3/4" plywood about 14" high across the front and along the right hand side of the bed with hinged tops. The RH unit has a hinged board running the length of it that folds up to make the storage cabinet wide enough for a second bed al la air mattress. There is a small set of stairs built into the front cabinet on the LH side for accessing the upper bed. I think T.Low (see post above - hi buddy) nominated my truck for the "Best Set of Stairs Award" on our trip to the Owyhee Uplands a couple of months ago. I will get around to taking some pictures and posting them, but I have to clean out the truck first. And getting around to doing that is on my list somewhere near cleaning the garage! :hehe:

Actually my wife and I have been talking about setting everything up in the yard to re-think our needs and I will take some photos at that time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears