Kerry's Fuso FG

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Kerry has had problems posting photos of his truck, so I've uploaded a few for him:

kerry-fuso1.jpg

kerry-fuso2.jpg

and a photo of it at the dealer prior to his purchase:

99fuso-kerry.jpg

kerry

Expedition Leader
With Mog's help I fixed my uploading problem.

Attachments

• deck resized.jpg
    deck resized.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 117
  • cut out resize.jpg
    cut out resize.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 107

kerry

Expedition Leader
More build pictures.

Attachments

• front receiver resized.jpg
    front receiver resized.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 149
  • front tie down resized.jpg
    front tie down resized.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 141
  • rear tie downs resized.jpg
    rear tie downs resized.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 127

kerry

Expedition Leader
More again.

Attachments

• inside storage resized.jpg
    inside storage resized.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • rear tied downs side view rezied.jpg
    rear tied downs side view rezied.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 96

kerry

Expedition Leader
Additional images.

Attachments

• front right tie down resized.jpg
    front right tie down resized.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 82
  • front tie down closeup resized.jpg
    front tie down closeup resized.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 87
  • rear tie down resized.jpg
    rear tie down resized.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 74

kerry

Expedition Leader
Here are a few more pictures of modifications. They include the front bike rack, the roof rack for canoes, kayaks and raft frames. The deck over the front cargo compartment so I have a secure cargo area and space on top to load boating gear. Also there are pictures of the Stratos suspension seat and the PVC tube on the step bumper in which resides my folding step ladder which will allow me access to the roof racks to load boats. I'll be putting a house AC unit into the front camper window just above the deck on the cargo space and operating it with a Honda 2k generator which will fit in on the compartments in the service body. I also have a picture of the spare tire rack I built to fit between the cab and the body. Also notice I cable tied the cab tilt mechanism to remind myself that I will break the windshield if I tilt the cab without first tilting the bike rack!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Ooops. Looks like I'm having attachment problems again.

Attachments

• fuso cargo deck.jpg
    fuso cargo deck.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 195
  • fuso canoe rack.jpg
    fuso canoe rack.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 179
  • fuso bike rack.jpg
    fuso bike rack.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 202

kerry

Expedition Leader
More pictures

Attachments

• fuso handle strap.jpg
    fuso handle strap.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 170
  • fuso ladder holder.jpg
    fuso ladder holder.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 170
  • fuso spare tire rack.jpg
    fuso spare tire rack.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 202
  • fuso stratos seat right.jpg
    fuso stratos seat right.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 189
  • fuso stratos seat left.jpg
    fuso stratos seat left.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 175
  • fuso stratos seat base.jpg
    fuso stratos seat base.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 214

Tree

Adventurer
Looking really good Kerry. Love were you put the tire! Are you planning on putting anything between the cab and camper?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Just my boating gear. Although, once I put the deck over the body in front of the camper I realized it makes a nice sleeping platform.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Domestic AC

Wow Kerry, You have been busy. Maybe a tip with regards to the household AC unit. We fit quite a few domestic split systems of different brands and go for the stainless steel cabinets when we can get them, but with the compreessor/condensor unit we always pull them aprt and do our best to beef up all of the bracketry and throw in a lot more zip ties on the cables and pipework in an attemp to make them ready for corrugated roads ,etc.

Just a thought.

At least the this advice doesn't depend on which side of the road you drive on. LOL.

Take care, mate. The truck is really starting to take shape.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice on the AC. I knew I would have to fabricate my own bracket to secure it in place, but I'll also take apart the housing and see what I can do to strengthen it. Although at $75 it's almost a throwaway device compared to the cost of typical RV AC's. The part I like about it the most is that it will run off a 2k Honda generator.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Finally had a chance to get the FG out today. I was a little concerned about how difficult it might be to load a canoe on the canoe racks I installed. Turns out it was quite easy, in fact probably easier than loading on a car. I load from the back, pick up one end of the canoe, rest it on the back load bar, then pick up the bottom of the boat and push it on top. I was able to load my solo whitewater canoe easily.
I took it to the South Platte river to test out a number of things. I was concerned about my turnbuckle mounting system and how secure it would be. Turns out it seems to be holding well. I drove it over about 15 miles of badly washboarded dirt road and everything stayed in place. The trip included a 15% grade, up and down and it did both in fine form. I climbed over a pretty steep blacktop road (CO 67 from Sedalia to the river) and it pulled the grade very well. I wasn't completely loaded but the water tank was full. At one point where I typically drop my Mercedes 300TD into 1st gear, the Fuso was pulling easily in 3rd.
My exhaust brake is cutting out intermittently. I must have a poor wire connection somewhere or something like that. When it's operating, it's great on the steep downhills.
The best part was using the outside shower on the camper when I got off the river. (which was only after a few minutes because the river was up and pushy today and the students I was instructing were intimidated).
There was some very uneven ground at the put-in and I watched the service body twist. I don't think it is moving as much as what I've seen in the Aussie pictures. If I'd have had someone else with me, I'd have video'd it.
All in all, a good little shakedown ride.

Attachments

• Fuso at South Platte3.jpg
    Fuso at South Platte3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Finally got a picture of the roof racks with boats on them. Racks are 1 1/2" steel tubing coated in Plasti-Dip with Quickn'nEasy feet and Yakima (?) artificial gutters through bolted to the sides of the pop top. Had to put on 4 racks to fit different length boats and raft frames.

Attachments

• fusoboat rack1web.jpg
    fusoboat rack1web.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 171
  • fusoboatrack2web.jpg
    fusoboatrack2web.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 135

kerry

Expedition Leader
Weighed the truck today. Weights include camper, full water and fuel, generator, camper jacks, tools, one canoe and gear for a weekend trip, plus me.
Total= 11340
Front axle= 4760
Rear axle= 6780

I was surprised I am that heavy. I weighed the truck with the service body with oil tanks and pumps with oil in the tanks and it was 6920. Camper info says it weighs 1840 (I think). So I wasn't expecting the miscellaneous extras to weight that much. I'm still under the 12k GVW. Add a couple more people, another canoe, and some more camping gear and I'll be right around 12k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179