Finally - progress on the Thorn Nomad

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Ages ago I started building up an English-made Thorn Nomad frame as a heavy-duty touring bicycle. Various things, mostly a knee operation and lack of funding, got in the way, but at last it's back on the stand and nearly complete:

Thornprogress1.jpg

For those who might not remember or know already, the Nomad is a steel-framed bicycle designed for long-distance use with heavy loads. The tubing is Reynolds 753, fillet-brazed, and there is every possible braze-on fitting one could want, including attachments for fenders, a generator, three bottles, and a pump. The racks (front low-riders to be mounted) are Thorn's own, and the strongest you can buy, period (also probably the heaviest . . .).

I'm making sure the rest of the bike is up to the same tasks as the frame and racks. The wheels are built on 36-hole Shimano XT hubs, with 26-inch Mavic XC717 rims and Swiss DT spokes. Tires are Continental Travel Contact. The crank is an XT, gearing will have a low of 18 inches IIRC. The rear derailleur is an XTR; haven't bought the front yet. Handlebar is the odd but incredibly comfortable Jones H-Bar. Brakes are Cane Creek Cantilevers, because I like the simplicity and instant adjustability of cantilevers, although I know I'll get arguments over that choice. Paul's Thumbies mount the Shimano shifters.

I'm still playing with the stem height, as you can see in the photo, before I trim the steering tube.

Next - fenders, probably Berthoud; panniers, almost certainly Ortlieb. If I can raise the funds, I'd like to replace the front hub with a SON generator hub.

This should be a bike capable of doing anything I'm capable of and a lot more, with absolute reliability.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My problem with spending a long time on a bike is the seat..
I have tried gel, split seats and suspension stems..nothing really that comfortable.
Which is why I was looking at recumbent (sp?) bikes before I found 4wds.

Nice looking bike and I am looking forward to hearing about some adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears