Coleman Instant Tent?

Adventurer
Sparky,
I say you get what you pay for. At this level I'm with Squatchout in thinking that I'm not bothered by my tent needing some seam sealer 'touch-up', and since I'm not camping in really adverse conditions or on a mountainside this tent works fine for me. Now if I were going on a serious trek and not having my *** get frost-bitten or otherwise pulverized by Mother Nature was truly dependant on my gear?.. Then I would have paid big $$$, and you could be durned sure I'd be rather annoyed at any shortcomings in a tent's performance.

HI,
I'm definitely in the you get what you pay for camp. However, the posts here don't differentiate between cheap and expensive. Clearly, the posters would do well to mention price in order to frame the discussion. And the most experienced explorers here would do well to to point out the differences.

Sparky

Woodsman

Adventurer
I have a $50 Coleman tent from Wal-Mart which I've been using for five years now. It has done a great job and has held up to wind and rain.

I also bought a 7 x 9 Instant Tent (four man ?) for less than $100 I think when Coleman was having a great sale last year. I've only used it once and there were no high winds or rains to test it. With the non-aerodynamic shape I would definitely set up some guy wires for support in the wind. I will attest that it is fast to set up but it is slightly bulkier than most tents to carry.

stankfoot

Adventurer
we just picked up a coleman instant up 10x10 screen room @ Dicks sporting goods on sale for $39. at that price could not turn it down. will use it to supplement the rest of the stuff we have.

kilimats

Observer
i love this tent, really a HUGE HUGE time saver. I paid something like $150 for the medium size, WELL WORTH IT !

Camping%20Manning.JPG

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Never saw a Maggiolina on a Mk4 Golf before... Those load bars look pretty close together, but Sweet!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I gave up on the 'Tex a couple years ago. Already knew everything about my Mk3 VR6 and the place had started seeming more like a high school name-calling contest than a real forum to me. Anyway, welcome to ExPo. I look forward to seeing more of your setup and travels.:beer:

kilimats

Observer
I gave up on the 'Tex a couple years ago. Already knew everything about my Mk3 VR6 and the place had started seeming more like a high school name-calling contest than a real forum to me. Anyway, welcome to ExPo. I look forward to seeing more of your setup and travels.:beer:

Totally agree with you, it has indeed become that, i miss the good old days where member were mature. Gladly i still love my mk4. I am a mod over there just for the heck of it but lost hope of liking the place again

Good to find an old member on here, thought i was the only crazy camping guy lol

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Just found out I should be getting the 6-man rainfly today. Not sure if I will have a chance to get it out this weekend, but I'll post a picture of the packaging anyway since no one has seen this thing yet...

kilimats

Observer
Just found out I should be getting the 6-man rainfly today. Not sure if I will have a chance to get it out this weekend, but I'll post a picture of the packaging anyway since no one has seen this thing yet...

never heard of this rainfly for the instant tent, curious of how it look and work, i didnt find any picture online weird

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
FYI: It has a bag of the same dinky stakes that came with the tent itself, and the same style of attached tie-down lines.
P1020189.jpg

P1020190.jpg

P1020188.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
FYI; The Coleman P/Ns for those rainflys shown at the top of the instruction sheet are (from left to right) 2000010327, 2000010328, 2000010330, and 2000010331. I'm not sure why there are 4 rainfly P/Ns when Coleman only lists 3 models in their Instant Tent line.
:camping:
On a side note, I was looking for a slightly larger, much better quality bag to carry/store the tent in. The cheesy nylon bag it came with is already starting to fray and getting the bag back in it is an unecessary pain-in-the-tookus. I found out pretty quick that duffel bags more than 48" are not easy to find. The I ran across Ledmark Industries (http://www.ledmark.com/) and their 'Outback Duffle Bag' which comes in five different sizes including GIANT (48"x20") and COLOSSAL (72"x22").
LedmarkOutbackDuffleBag-COLOSSAL.jpg

Silly person that I am I figured the COLOSSAL bag would let me pack the tent plus all my lightweight sleeping gear... I had no idea what I was in for.:Wow1:
P1020194.jpg

Yup, that's 6ft of tape measure on the floor. And while I realized it was 72" in length, for some reason I kept thinking 'circumference' when it came to the 22" dimension. This thing is freakin' HUGE which is why I keeping using all CAPS for the COLOSSAL name. I could stand in it and zip the darn thing up. Definitely overkill, but I'm keeping it. Maybe I should start the 'That's A Huuuge Bag' Thread... :D
Now I just have to find something smaller to carry my tent in... :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior