ARB Locker Problem

vaulter09

Biggest thing is to ask your installer to use the correct parts and educate yourself on the parts you are paying to be installed. Ask for the instructions when the install is completed, so you can look over everything yourself.

No matter how simple or complicated the install, you have the right to ask the installer for clarification if you have any questions about the parts.

Oh, and trust the experts. SOME people on the internet are experts, but most aren't.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Biggest thing is to ask your installer to use the correct parts and educate yourself on the parts you are paying to be installed. Ask for the instructions when the install is completed, so you can look over everything yourself.

No matter how simple or complicated the install, you have the right to ask the installer for clarification if you have any questions about the parts.

Oh, and trust the experts. SOME people on the internet are experts, but most aren't.

This is exactly right. I became aware of these issues the hard way. For a big ticket item that could fail at the wrong time, you owe it to yourself to ensure that it is built right and that you understand how to use it well.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I doubt that there are larger shops like ECGS, etc. that are using OEM bearings.

We likely don't qualify as 'larger shop' but we do hundreds of 3rds a year, we stock Koyo on the shelf ;) We do use Timken in many applications but as noted there are applications it is not appropriate. Then again there are applications where a Timken box will yield you a Koyo bearing too :D

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I spoke with Matt at ARB a couple of days ago. He said that, unlike the rear diff, a Timken bearing is the specified bearing for the front diff on a '02 Tacoma.

Glad that you talked to him! He is the go-to guy in my book. You can also print out the manual for your particular locker from ARB's downloads.

ARBTECH

Observer
We are always glad to help the good folks of ExPo out! If anyone has any questions about what was discussed in this thread or are having similar problems, please feel free to contact us (or guys like Kurt @ CruiserOutfitters).

No objections to the tech info being shared here. Koyo and SKF bearings are the only bearings to use in Toyota Third. We just wanted to check in and see if there were any other questions we could help with.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
We are always glad to help the good folks of ExPo out! If anyone has any questions about what was discussed in this thread or are having similar problems, please feel free to contact us (or guys like Kurt @ CruiserOutfitters).

No objections to the tech info being shared here. Koyo and SKF bearings are the only bearings to use in Toyota Third. We just wanted to check in and see if there were any other questions we could help with.

Nobody should have any objections to anything here. :ylsmoke:

I've gone to great lengths to be accurate, fair and unemotional. Given that it has taken me absolutely forever to get this ARB functioning properly I have been quite patient.

It would have been great if you had been able to join the thread earlier in its 6 month long history. I could have used the help to resolve this much sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior