How would you outfit this custom LJ?

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Photos from Easter Jeep Safari a few weeks ago...

The tail gunner one of the days was a friend of mine from my Scrambler days, so at the end of the trail we had to pose his very cool CJ-8 and my LJ-8 together...

Trust1_zpsykv4kaaa.jpg

I see that we have a mutual friend. Love the NMOHVA sticker on that Scrambler!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My LJ came with side steps, which I had on the Jeep until a few months ago. I removed them because all they ever seemed to do was collect dirt and crud, and I don't need them to get into the Jeep. The rockers are looking a little scratched, maybe from shoes hitting them while on the steps, so I'm planning to do some rocker guards to cover that up. I like the look of the stock TJ/LJ Rubicon rocker guards, although I want to keep my front flare extensions, so rather than using factory guards I'm making up my own. I started by bending a pair of blanks out of 1/8" aluminum diamondplate. I'll trim these to fit between the flares, and they'll be finished in black (haven't decided if I want to go for a flat finish or a gloss finish yet).

RockerBlanks1_zpsobewjnin.jpg

RockerBlanks2_zpsrapl3yil.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
I would try to color match it. I would also use a gasket of some type. I have taken a few of these off some friends jeeps and found some fantastic rot behind them. I also helped install them so I know that the rot did not exist when they were attached.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would try to color match it. I would also use a gasket of some type. I have taken a few of these off some friends jeeps and found some fantastic rot behind them. I also helped install them so I know that the rot did not exist when they were attached.
Thanks for the input. Definitely agree about preventing moisture from entering, I've got a gasket plan.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've trimmed the diamondplate rocker guards to fit between the flares.

RockersFitted1_zpsdtmui7cv.jpg

RockersFitted2_zpsinegici7.jpg

On the bottom they're bolted to the rocker panel tabs that the factory was nice enough to provide. Along the top they'll be secured with blackened stainless flathead screws through the tub, with nuts on the inside. There will be an EDPM rubber gasket along the entire perimeter to prevent moisture from getting between them and the body.

Still haven't decided if they should be gloss black or satin.

Fargo

Adventurer
Still haven't decided if they should be gloss black or satin.

Thats going to look really good on there. I'd go with a satin or flat finish. You'll never get a gloss to really look quite right and they will always be dirty anyway. Do like Jeep did and match the rockers paint to the bumpers. Also consider bedliner. I'm thinking about doing that with my sliderz when I get a chance to refinish them.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got the diamondplate rockers painted and installed today.

RockersDone1_zpsytsepfar.jpg

RockersDone2_zpsalwn2jin.jpg

They're bolted to the tub, and the edges are sealed with double-sided foam tape, so there shouldn't be any way moisture will get behind them and start rust. The bolts are blackened stainless flathead Allen screws, so no rust possible there either.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm planning to do a Safari Cab sewing project in the next month or two. Every summer I swap out the hard sides for the soft sides, here's a photo taken near the summit of Mosquito Pass two years ago:

Mosquito2_zps3805d66a.jpg

The way the current soft sides work, they replace both sides, the back corners and the barn door.

The way the hard panel modularity works, the hard sides can be removed while leaving the rear corners and the barn door in place. I don't have a great photo of that, but here's one I took when I was testing the idea of swing-up hard sides (the barn door is off in this photo, but it does show the rear corners still in place when the side panels are removed):

SwingUp7.jpg

This summer I'd like to try running the Jeep a little different way - I'd like to have soft sides that roll up, but leave the hard rear corners and barn door in place. I don't really need the back to be fully open all the time, so I'd like to try just roll-up sides, which would still give me easy access to the back through the barn door without having to open the rear canvas.

It would look something like this when they're rolled down:

SoftSidesV2-1_zps9scvyv6z.jpg

SoftSidesV2-2_zps7fmc3qy1.jpg

It's a pretty simple sewing project, the panels are rectangular and there's already provisions for attaching the panel to the bottom of the roof and the back of the front door surround. Attaching to the front of the rear corner will be simple, and I'll probably do just one large window as shown in the drawing above.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've ordered the zippers and things I need to make the new roll-up side panels for the Safari Cab, and yesterday I picked up the fabric for them. On Craigslist I found a 2dr JK soft top panel that someone had bought but it was for a different year JK than they had so they couldn't use it. It was cheap enough to be in same price range as quality fabric would have been, so I figured what better material to make my soft sides from. Photo shows it on the floor with a prototype Safari Cab hard side panel I made years ago to experiment with a different type of window; I'm checking to make sure I've got enough material - it'll actually be close but there is enough for two side panels. Should be able to start sewing by next week if not sooner.

JKFabric_zpsts6ndmlt.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm preparing to sew the v2 roll-up sides, so I pulled off the hard sides. I don't think I ever posted any photos of the Safari Can with the hard sides removed but the rear corners and barn door still in place, so here are a few. The v1 soft sides included side and a rear panel, so for them the barn door and rear corners come off, but I'm sewing the v2 soft sides to work with the hard corners and barn door. Also threw the half doors on for the summer.

NoSideHalfDoor_zps5dc8axqc.jpg

NoSideHalfDoor2_zps6oo5lzjr.jpg

NoSideHalfDoor3_zpsltcma9vk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior