Anyone else being blown off by Autohome?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have had a Overcamp RTT for over 10 years. The elements have destroyed the cover.

I have contacted Autohome numerous times over the past six months for a replacement, which I want to pay for.

All I get is the runaround. I will be told yes they have one in one e-mail and then call and talk to the same person who I e-mailed and been told not they do not have one. I've been told let me check and I will call you back and nothing. I call back ut the answering machine. The usual M.O. for a bad company.
I've spoken to them in person ,more than once, at the Overland expo, they took copious notes, looked at my setup. Nothing.

I'm curious if anyone else has gotten the same runaround?

Are they really in business? I wish I could get a new tent but the tent is great !!

Autohome is the only source for any parts that I can find but if someone know of another place I would love to know.

Thanks for letting me vent.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've never dealt with Autohome, nor do I have experience with any of their products . . . so I can't say anything about them. But, if you just need a new cover, I'd suggest talking to some local upholstery shops about what you need. They are usually pretty reasonable with their prices (at least they are around here).

Good luck

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I haven't contacted AH lately, but I have always received great support from Mike Spies at Autohome US.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Autohome

I had thought about that. My friend did that. it took a lot of time to find the material ,then find someone to do it. Finally pay more than a new cover would have been. he never got a written quote.

Besides that is not the point.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Autohome

Well you say it you haven't contacted them lately. I'ved talked to him several times

skysix

Adventurer
I have had a Overcamp RTT for over 10 years. The elements have destroyed the cover.

I have contacted Autohome numerous times over the past six months for a replacement, which I want to pay for.

All I get is the runaround. I will be told yes they have one in one e-mail and then call and talk to the same person who I e-mailed and been told not they do not have one. I've been told let me check and I will call you back and nothing. I call back ut the answering machine. The usual M.O. for a bad company.
I've spoken to them in person ,more than once, at the Overland expo, they took copious notes, looked at my setup. Nothing.

I'm curious if anyone else has gotten the same runaround?

Are they really in business? I wish I could get a new tent but the tent is great !!

Autohome is the only source for any parts that I can find but if someone know of another place I would love to know.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ditto . . . ordered via Rack and Road 2 months ago - even they have been getting the run around / "it's en route by sea" line.

I'm about to go via their Canadian dealer - or direct to the factory now if nothing confirmatory received (like a fax copy of a shipping manifest) soon....

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Gentlemen, let me respond directly to your issues...

Mike - our container arrived last week, and we have been shipping backlogged items. We now have a supply of travel covers for the OverCamp medium. We sell rather few of this model/size so we have to go to the well for them when we do not have them in stock.

As for the time it takes to get items, we order product four or five times a year. The products are built to our order. This means buyers have a lot of special order options, and we always have special items being built. It takes up to one month to manufacture and get product ready for shipping. It takes about 7-8 weeks to ship by container, clear customs and recieve goods. And of course, we pay in cash (Euros) in advance of shipping. In a normal shipment half of the goods are sold before they arrive, so we have an intensive period of shipping and fulfillment for about 10 days after a container arrives.

We are shipping these items to fill your orders for parts and accessories over the next day or two.

We are striving to bring the finest products into the US market for prices at comparable or lower than prices for the same AutoHome products sell for worldwide.

I appreciate your patience.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Ditto . . . Then I find that they also haven't been paid for product they shipped to Autohome US.

This is a case of either manufacturing or intentionally passing along misinformation.

We do buy some items from Rack n' Road - mostly rack systems for customers who would like to buy everything from one source. They have our credit card on file and we PAY BEFORE SHIPPING. We never have a due bill with Rack n' Road.

You really should check your facts before you make irresponsible statements on a public forum.

PS: I will not send you a shipping manifest. That is my business, not yours. I WILL send Rack 'N Road the travel cover that they ordered for you.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I wanted to post in response to this thread but clearly someone seems to have gotten offended as posts are being deleted so I will keep my mouth shut.

-Sam

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
This is a case of either manufacturing or intentionally passing along misinformation.

We do buy some items from Rack n' Road - mostly rack systems for customers who would like to buy everything from one source. They have our credit card on file and we PAY BEFORE SHIPPING. We never have a due bill with Rack n' Road.

You really should check your facts before you make irresponsible statements on a public forum.

PS: I will not send you a shipping manifest. That is my business, not yours. I WILL send Rack 'N Road the travel cover that they ordered for you.

Perhaps you do not realize it, but you come off really very rude in this post. Remember that these are people responding to your posts on here, and only using the information they are given. Perhaps if you had approached the person nicely and asked, they might have removed the complaint on your company with out further concern. In stead it seems like you are spinning a tail for us all with no way for us to know if you are being truthful.

All I am saying is that if you remain calm, and kind, people are more likely to work with you. Everyone knows that you work in a high stress environment, and we are all willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Trust people; be human and humane to one another.

By the way if you tell a customer that 'it is in the mail' (so to speak) then it IS their business, and seeing proof that you did not lie to them is within their rights.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Perhaps you do not realize it, but you come off really very rude in this post. Remember that these are people responding to your posts on here, and only using the information they are given. Perhaps if you had approached the person nicely and asked, they might have removed the complaint on your company with out further concern. In stead it seems like you are spinning a tail for us all with no way for us to know if you are being truthful.

All I am saying is that if you remain calm, and kind, people are more likely to work with you. Everyone knows that you work in a high stress environment, and we are all willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Trust people; be human and humane to one another.

By the way if you tell a customer that 'it is in the mail' (so to speak) then it IS their business, and seeing proof that you did not lie to them is within their rights.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

Ford - I have zero problems with legitimate requests, criticism or complaints, and we do our best to deal with them as they come. We have gone to some extraordinary lengths to satisfy customer requirements, even providing items at no charge or driving hundreds of miles to make a delivery to a customer in extreme need. This is a service we provide willingly.

I do, however, take exception when someone posts unfounded accusations that may damage our reputation, especially when they do so on a public forum. Specifically an allegation (manufactured or founded on some vague rumor) that we do not pay our bills.

I sympathize with people who want their item delivered right away. But if we do not have the item in stock we must order it. And it does take three (3) months to get a container of goods manufactured and delivered to our warehouse from Italy. Of course, we could ship via air courier, but we would have to pass the very substantial additional costs along to the customer.

As for the delivery of a 'shipping manifest', this is a document that accompanies our container shipments. It is nobody's business but ours. Perhaps the poster meant "tracking number' ? But that is not what he wrote.

For everyone else... we are busy filling orders. Thank you for your patience. We will be here for you.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I do, however, take exception when someone posts unfounded accusations that may damage our reputation, especially when they do so on a public forum. Specifically an allegation (manufactured or founded on some vague rumor) that we do not pay our bills.

I have no problem with that. Erroneous claims, especially damning ones, are not helpful in any way. I was only suggesting that you could have contacted the individual in a PM and asked him where he heard that, and ask him to remove it himself. I am sure he would have been willing to if you had seen him as a person and approached him with respect. If not then lambaste him.

I sympathize with people who want their item delivered right away. But if we do not have the item in stock we must order it. And it does take three (3) months to get a container of goods manufactured and delivered to our warehouse from Italy. Of course, we could ship via air courier, but we would have to pass the very substantial additional costs along to the customer.
From the sounds of the OP, he did not know that it was going to take that long, and it sounds like he only wished you could have communicated that to him sooner.

Perhaps the poster meant "tracking number' ? But that is not what he wrote.

Here again, if you had simply seen him as a person, or even better a customer, perhaps you could have simply said in response "I would be happy to provide a tracking number for you" and left it at that. Many people who are not in business confuse technical terms with common jargon found in the streets. Give the person the benefit of the doubt rather than cast blame from the get go. Does that make sense?

Last thought for you. People on here generally seem to think highly of you, that is a hard reputation to build and an easy on to destroy. So far you sound like a pretty stand up guy who simply was irked and went about expressing it in the wrong way. Take care.

For what it's worth, I think very highly of Mike and find him to be a stand-up guy. I haven't read this whole thread, but have known Mike for years and can vouch for his character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman