Dodge Dakota as Expo Vehicle?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I just sold my 1994 Grand Cherokee i was going to use as a new expo vehicle. i finally just decided it was too small for the family and i couldn't tow with it very well. and i would rather have a frame for an expo vehicle.

Ive been considering a Range Rover Classic LWB, but parts are not easy to get around here where I live. Since i will likely never leave North America it seems like the perfect candidate.

I'm looking for one with the 4.7V8 and automatic transmission. I would like to eventually take the IFS stuff off and put a D44 up front. tires will never be larger then 33" and i'll try to keep it at only 4" above stock suspension height.

i will most likely build or buy some sort of utility rack for the back to haul a RTT. and then use the rest of the bed for storage.

anyone built one. i'd really like to see the end results.

Thanks

huntoon

Adventurer
Check out turtle expedition's dakota

The Dodge Dakota was selected because it was neither too big nor too small. The mid-size Dakota has received rave reviews from magazines since its introduction a few years ago, and it had both the brawn for the "work truck" capabilities and the sexy profile of a sporty commuter. Add performance suspension and tires with a very positive limited-slip rear differential, and it can perform admirably on most backroads and two-tracks.

6WW_BC_UquletCamp.jpg

It was their "Weekend Warrior"

jcbrandon

Explorer
I put about 180,000 miles on a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7, automatic, and full-time 4wd. I really enjoyed that truck and took it a lot of places. Probably 10,000 of those miles were off pavement. The only thing I did to the truck was add an on board air compressor, a shell, carpet the bed, and add a fire extinguisher and a radio.

I eventually moved to a larger truck. The Dakota did not have enough hauling and towing capacity for my needs.

If you really want a solid front axle, I suggest getting something that came with one from the factory. If you want a dependable, mid-size utility vehicle, with acceptable fuel mileage, that is comfortable on the highway for 1,000 miles to the trailhead, the Dakota is a good choice.

The Dakota is available with full-time 4wd. I really liked that. It is fantastic in winter conditions.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
seems like a good platform for my family.

i drove around town trying to find one on someones car lot somewhere. i was denied everywhere i went. i would really like to see if the back seats are going to be large enough for the kids.

i looked at Toyotas and Nissan crewcab trucks, but they seem to small, and the lack of a V8 is what really turns me off.

OffaRex

Observer
We have a basically stock 2004 Dakota Quad Cab that we use for trips to the beach and overland travel. Six of us did 5,000+ miles in 17 days this summer -- 2 adults and 4 kids (9, 7, 5 and 18 months).

It handled the heavy load and everything we threw at it (nothing too serious). I like the truck, but, not surprisingly, it isn't really big enough for six of us anymore.

Pros:
- Mid-size - more room than my previous XJ and Tacoma, but still not difficult to drive around town.
- Good ground clearance in stock form -- you can fit up to 32" tires without any lift.
- Power - the V8 makes the ride to/from the good parts more bearable
- Styling - this is personal preference thing, but I love the styling of the '97-'04 Dakotas

Cons:
- Fuel mileage - We got 12-13mpg on our trip this summer.
- After market support - bumpers, lift kits, etc. are hard to come by. In fact, I can't get a suspension lift for the '04. I would have to use an '02 lift and swap out some front suspension/brake parts for '02 parts.
- IFS

I added some rear air springs, a camper shell, a modified ladder rack and RTT, wired up additional power points (front and back) and a fridge, but that's about it. My wife and I and the two youngest sleep in the RTT while the two older kids sleep on collapsable cots we fabbed to go across the bed rails in the shell.

BurrTrail.jpg

IMG00062-20100825-1644.jpg

IMG00046-20100820-1441.jpg

cots.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The Dakota is only 10 inches longer than the Tacoma Double Cab, and it has a few hundred pounds more carrying capacity than the Tacoma. The Dakota's ground clearance is not as good, but if that's an issue there are several companies that make lift kits. Sounds workable to me!

jcbrandon

Explorer
The Dakota is only 10 inches longer than the Tacoma Double Cab, and it has a few hundred pounds more carrying capacity than the Tacoma...

These are the factors that led me to get rid of my Dakota and get a 3/4-ton full size.

Although the Dakota had a published payload of about 1400 pounds, when I weighed my truck, as factory equipped and with the tools and everyday kit I normally carried, it only had about 600 pounds of usable payload left before reaching GVW.

So I moved up to a Dodge 2500. It has much more usable payload and towing capacity. The penalty? An extra 10 inches of wheelbase and about three miles per gallon of real-world fuel usage. I can live with that for the huge increase in capacity.

When I bought the Dakota I lived in an urban environment and finding parking spaces was an issue. When I go back there in my full size truck I realize how much smaller parking slots are in areas where real estate is expensive. Where I live now, in a rural environment, it is a non-issue.

cocco78

Adventurer
My wife had a 2000 quad cab with the 4.7L and came stock with 31" tires. It was a nice truck, comfortable, decent amount of power, and plenty room for stuff. I really liked it at first... The back seat was actually not bad to sit in, even for a full size adult. The downsides where poor payload, a few pounds of stuff in the bed and you were dragging the bumper. Another downside was poor fuel economy, we never seen more than 17mpg ever. Towing was another negative, we hauled a 1500lb snowmobile trailer a few hundred miles one winter and it sucked. The truck couldn't pull in OD at all and driving in 3rd gear we were getting 10mpg on the highway. And that is bullshat for a 1500lb open snowmobile trailer. The 4.7L is however a very reliable engine and seem to have good longevity.

It must have something to do with the gear ratio and 31" tires, I don't know. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same 4.7L V8, same auto trans, and slightly oversized tires, and AWD. That thing was fast as hell, got 20-22mpg on the highway, and towed 6500lbs a few times with no problems.

cwsqbm

Explorer
It must have something to do with the gear ratio and 31" tires, I don't know. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same 4.7L V8, same auto trans, and slightly oversized tires, and AWD. That thing was fast as hell, got 20-22mpg on the highway, and towed 6500lbs a few times with no problems.

The gearing definitely doesn't help. I've got a '05 Dakota with the 31's and 3.55 gears. The transmission with the two 2nd gears doesn't help either - a downshift to the higher 2nd gear only helps at highway speeds. If I had a choice, I'd run at least 4.56 gears - even 4.10 wouldn't be enough with that silly steep overdrive.

Of course, there's no point in starting to mod mine, because there's no suspension lifts (other than a strut spacer) available for a 2005 or newer. Even a SAS isn't as easy as older Dakotas due to frame design. I wouldn't buy a current generation Dakota for off road use of any kind - mine's 4wd only sees use on road in snow, and even then is lacking for truly deep stuff. The frame is just too low.

bry71518

What about a Durango? I recently bought a 01, 4.7 V8, Auto. It's loaded with heated seats, sound system, AWD/4wd/4lo on the fly. It also has rear heat AND air. Seating for 4 Adults and 2 kids comfortably with the 3rd row seating. With that said, fold the rear seats and the 3rd row and I can sleep comfortably (I'm about 5'9" tall/200lbs. I have towed my camper (pop up) all over with little loss in mpgs. Highway has averaged about 18 - 22 depending on towing.

I don't know the specs compared to the Dakota, but I think they're built on a similar if not same frame. Engines are the same, quad cab has the same interior specs, trans is the same... just about everything, save for the payload bed.

Been thinking about making a few trips in a expedition config. Just need to convince the wife since this is a dd for me.

Just a thought. I bought mine with 110k for about 4k about 4 months ago. No problems and I actually really like it.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Nice truck

That thing is so nice. I would like to see more pics if you got them. Where did you stop along the way on your trip?

We have a basically stock 2004 Dakota Quad Cab that we use for trips to the beach and overland travel. Six of us did 5,000+ miles in 17 days this summer -- 2 adults and 4 kids (9, 7, 5 and 18 months).

It handled the heavy load and everything we threw at it (nothing too serious). I like the truck, but, not surprisingly, it isn't really big enough for six of us anymore.

Pros:
- Mid-size - more room than my previous XJ and Tacoma, but still not difficult to drive around town.
- Good ground clearance in stock form -- you can fit up to 32" tires without any lift.
- Power - the V8 makes the ride to/from the good parts more bearable
- Styling - this is personal preference thing, but I love the styling of the '97-'04 Dakotas

Cons:
- Fuel mileage - We got 12-13mpg on our trip this summer.
- After market support - bumpers, lift kits, etc. are hard to come by. In fact, I can't get a suspension lift for the '04. I would have to use an '02 lift and swap out some front suspension/brake parts for '02 parts.
- IFS

I added some rear air springs, a camper shell, a modified ladder rack and RTT, wired up additional power points (front and back) and a fridge, but that's about it. My wife and I and the two youngest sleep in the RTT while the two older kids sleep on collapsable cots we fabbed to go across the bed rails in the shell.

BurrTrail.jpg

IMG00062-20100825-1644.jpg

IMG00046-20100820-1441.jpg

cots.jpg

OffaRex

Observer
Thanks Hiking.

The trip was mostly a road trip to visit family with a few off-pavement excursions thrown in. We did Mosquito Pass and a few other roads around Leadville, CO, the Book Cliffs in Eastern Utah and the Burr Trail as well as a few more backroad shortcuts here and there. I'll see if I have any more pictures worth posting.

OffaRex

Observer
Here are a few more photos from the trip.

A campground in Nauvoo, IL (a very hot, sticky and restless night):

IMG_4312.jpg

The little one in his "doggie" bed in the RTT:

doggiebed.jpg

Wild camping just off Guanella pass in Colorado (after I did a number on my knee):

IMG_4462.jpg

Heading up the East side of Mosquito Pass:

IMG_4483.jpg

Enjoying a break at the top:

IMG_4509.jpg

Back down the West side into Leadville:

IMG_4512.jpg

On the ferry at Hall's Crossing:

IMG_4612.jpg

fjatheart

Adventurer
My hat is off to you and your wife!!

My wife and I only have a 3 year old and it's tough to travel anymore than 8 hours, much less camp and sleep out of our car. You're doing it with 4 children?! Wow! Forget the truck, you and the wife are awesome!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78