Canvas topper?

poriggity

Explorer
Ok.. so as I look into outfitting my truck, I have come to the conclusion that I need something that is canvas for the bed of my truck. I need it to keep me fairly dry, as I plan on sleeping in the back of the truck. I have been looking into them, and while can-back used to make a canvas topper, it seems they no longer make one for the dodge long bed... Softtopper does, however, and I am seriously considering one. I do need something I can remove in order to put in my slide in camper when I am just going camping. Does anyone have any other options as far as canvas "camper shells" goes? Thanks in advance!
Scott

Robert Bills

Explorer
Its a shame the current owners of Can-Back don't have a top specifically for your truck.

I have a Can-Back top on my Bantam trailer, built to fit by Can-Back's original owner.

In my opinion, the Can-Back design is far superior to the Softopper.

poriggity

Explorer
I'd agree there.. I had an Ex boss (used to work for Kilby Enterprises) who had a can back on his old dodge ram long bed, and it was SWEET.. sadly, the new owners don't make anything for us Dodge owners anymore.

TOTHEHILLS

I've owned a Softopper for a few years now and have camped in all kinds of weather. Had two feet of snow on top one year with no leaks. It has held up very well for me. Only complaint I have is actually with my truck...5 1/2 foot bed is too short for a 6' 3'' guy. So I bought some extra material from Softopper and rigged up an extension that works with the tailgate down.

Attachments

• PICT7456.JPG
    PICT7456.JPG
    736.7 KB · Views: 244
  • PICT9381.JPG
    PICT9381.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 307
  • PICT9384.JPG
    PICT9384.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 267

poriggity

Explorer
Part no76317, I think.

Ben, awesome.. I feel like a moron for not seeing it earlier! I have used bestop products on my jeep for years before I sold it, and have always been impressed with the quality.. I may have to go the bestop route.. :) Thank you bro!
Scott

poriggity

Explorer
I've owned a Softopper for a few years now and have camped in all kinds of weather. Had two feet of snow on top one year with no leaks. It has held up very well for me. Only complaint I have is actually with my truck...5 1/2 foot bed is too short for a 6' 3'' guy. So I bought some extra material from Softopper and rigged up an extension that works with the tailgate down.

Thats a very cool setup! I won't have that issue though.. I have an 8' bed, and I'm 5'7" tall on a good day hahaha... Looks like you are making it work for ya bro.
Scott

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'd strongly recommend the Softopper. Very good product, and a great group of folks put these together. It's definitely the kind of local place you want to spend your money at.

And as an addendum, when I had a bear rip through my Bestop a few summers ago, I called the folks at Bestop to inquire about options to get it repaired. I was effectively told I was on my own. A few weeks later I stopped by the Softopper shop on a recommendation from a local parachute repair guy, and for < $50 they replaced the ripped piece, and sewed in a new panel and zipper.

My 2 cents...

poriggity

Explorer
Matt, thanks for the thoughts.. I am still going back and forth... Looks like my options are either bestop or softtopper... Time to do some research.

Humvette

Adventurer
How much are soft top shells?
Look on craigslist and get a solid shell. I have found some for $700 in great shape!
M

poriggity

Explorer
How much are soft top shells?
Look on craigslist and get a solid shell. I have found some for $700 in great shape!
M

I thought about a hard shell, but this is my problem. My truck is dual purpose, and I also have a hard sided large slide in camper that will go in the truck when I just want to camp. I need to be able to remove the shell by myself in order to load the slide in camper, so that just about puts a hard shell out for me.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior