Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Trip report portion

We have been home for about two weeks from a roadtrip and I just wanted to give an update on the shocks and the truck overall.

We left on June 8 and headed south and then east. The truck had about 2k on it since it's the last service.

We camped the first night outside of Williams, AZ. We were up and on the road early. The purpose of the trip was to visit friends and family in Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. We decided to take the long way there and back. My wife wanted to visit some of the Louisiana and Mississippi Plantation homes, so that was our first goal. We made it to Amarillo, TX the second night and because of the heat/humidity decided that staying in a motel would be the way to go. We found a spot and there just happen to be a great tex/mex restaurant next to it. It was a Sunday night and the place was filled with locals, so we figured it had to be good and it was. Sorry I don't remember the name and didn't take a picture.

We were up on Monday, went for a quick run (the last of the trip due to the heat/humidity) and hit the road. We crossed TX in a diagonal through Dallas/Ft. Worth and into LA. We found another hotel and called it a night. Our goal the next day was the town of Natchitoches, La (pronounced Nackatish). We toured the town and enjoyed the history, going back to the 1700's of European occupation and of course, much longer by the Native Americans. We headed south from there and toured one of the plantations (sorry don't remember which one) and just kind of enjoyed the scenery. We worked our way southeast and into Natchez, MS. We really enjoyed the area and was able to include some nice tours.
(sorry for the bad pic, it was looking through the hotel window toward the river on my phone)

After Natchez, it was time to start north to my parent's home near Jasper, AR. We followed the Mississippi river north on the Mississippi side of things. We had never been to MS, so it was a shock to see that much farming (especially near the river) and it remained so until we near Little Rock, AR. We stayed in Pine Bluff, AR that night and finished the push to my parent's house on Thursday morning.

On Friday afternoon, we were on the road again to meet up with some highschool friends at his lake house on Lake of the Ozarks. We spent the weekend there before heading back to my parents house for a Father's Day family dinner.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
We hung around on Monday and by Tuesday, it was back on the road. We had been in MO before, but never that far north. We essentially stayed on the central and western portions of MO until we made it to a spot a few miles north of where MO, Iowa and Nebraska all meet and of course on the Missouri River. We stopped early and were able to camp again.

Looking up river

We were camped at a Lewis and Clark stopping point and we both remarked that the Missouri truly earns the nickname of the "big muddy" and of course our complete respect for the Lewis and Clark endeavor. We could not imagine working upstream against the current for months on end. They were better men (and woman) than I will ever be. Major respect.

From there we headed north into South Dakota and called it a night in Rapid City (hotel again). We stopped early as it had been a rough few days with a lot of windshield time and we were just beat. It was time to head west on 90 toward Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. I have to say that both are incredible to see. Truly spectacular.

What it is...

What it will be...

Yep, you guessed it, time to hit the road again. We drove to a little reservoir about 80 miles north of Cheyenne, WY and called it a night.

We woke up the next morning and my wife had that look in her eye, she was ready to be home. She was driving and with a purpose I might add, so westbound we were. Freeway flying on 80. We traveled just shy of 1100 miles that day...
We filled up the truck west of Cheyenne and made it to Elko before we were ready for fuel and food. We had switched out driver's just inside the Utah border. Once we topped off the truck and our bellies, I set the cruise control on 80 mph, We had been doing 70-75 mph up to that point, but it was time to be home, so away we went.

I can tell you that even after that much driving, we both still really enjoy driving this truck, it is just so comfortable and easy.
The final stats for the trip are:
5261 miles
Don't want to think about the gallons or cost. A 52 gallon tank is spendy to fill.
over 7200 miles on this oil change (Delo 400) and not a drop used.
Truck now has 112k miles.
We averaged 15.5 mpg from Elko to Reno with the cruise set at 80 mph.
Overall average for the trip excluding the high speed run was about 16.5 mpg and weighing roughly 9200lbs.
Absolutely no problems or issues with the truck.

As far as the shocks, they ride fantastic and really handle an amazing variety of surfaces except for (you knew there was going to be an exception) really shear transitions such as broken pavement pothole type encounters, they really hit hard on those. Other than that, loved them.

I have some other upcoming mods, but it might be a while until I can find the time, too many other projects both home and jeep as well as an upcoming jeep trip to get ready for.

Did I mention that I love this truck?

Jack

Last edited:

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Hey Jack, I really like what you've done with your truck. I've thought about doing a lot of the same things to mine. That thing called money and a lack of it has prevented me from ever getting my truck the way I really want her. She does real good in stock form though. I definitely don't baby her, that's for sure. I'm running an '02 2500 CC/SB with the Alli/Max combo. The only complaint that I've ever had is when I'm in 4 low. As you know they automatically downshift to help with braking. When I go down a hill in 4 low and that sucker downshifts it is bone jarring. Does yours do this too? If this is a normal condition, do you know of any way to modify the Trans. to keep it from downshifting when wheeling. I wouldn't want it permanently modified, I'd just want to be able to turn it off and on as needed.

I'm sure I'm gonna pick your brain again in the future, thanks for the write up.

Here's a few pics of my rig.

Monache Meadows 043.jpgMonache Meadows 042.jpg028.jpg040.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey Jack, I really like what you've done with your truck. I've thought about doing a lot of the same things to mine. That thing called money and a lack of it has prevented me from ever getting my truck the way I really want her. She does real good in stock form though. I definitely don't baby her, that's for sure. I'm running an '02 2500 CC/SB with the Alli/Max combo. The only complaint that I've ever had is when I'm in 4 low. As you know they automatically downshift to help with braking. When I go down a hill in 4 low and that sucker downshifts it is bone jarring. Does yours do this too? If this is a normal condition, do you know of any way to modify the Trans. to keep it from downshifting when wheeling. I wouldn't want it permanently modified, I'd just want to be able to turn it off and on as needed.

I'm sure I'm gonna pick your brain again in the future, thanks for the write up.

Thanks for the compliments and I agree, they are a lot more capable stock that most people give them credit for. I have been lucky on the mods, some were only possible because of deals or I caught it on sale and couldn't pass it up. Others were total fixes to known weaknesses and because my wife and I end up in the middle of nowhere alone a lot, I decided that I would minimize the risks as much as possible. Having said that, there are many, many examples of Dmax's with well over 500k and the owners doing little to nothing to them to get there. I am not brand loyal, I looked at and drove several examples of both dodges and fords before I bought my chevy and it just felt right. Plus for the year range I was looking at '03-'07, they have the best reliability of the three. They are not perfect, but the known issues are either easy to fix or cheap to fix. The same cannot be said of the other two.

Anyway, I have noticed the downshifting, but not often enough for it to stick in my mind as being overly harsh. And sad to say, but it has been a couple of months since it was in 4low, so I may have forgotten. I do know that it really resists up-shifting in low, which is totally different than my landcruiser. It started up shifting as soon as you were rolling and hated to downshift.

I am far from an expert, but I will answer any questions you have to best of my ability, so pick away.

Jack

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
First, Jack, nice write up as always and I'm still right there with you loving these trucks!

The only complaint that I've ever had is when I'm in 4 low. As you know they automatically downshift to help with braking. When I go down a hill in 4 low and that sucker downshifts it is bone jarring. Does yours do this too? If this is a normal condition, do you know of any way to modify the Trans. to keep it from downshifting when wheeling. I wouldn't want it permanently modified, I'd just want to be able to turn it off and on as needed.

John, do you get this harsh downshifting in 4 Low when you have it in "Trailer/Haul" mode or just regular? I have an '07 (so the 6 sp Allison) and when in "normal" 4 Low I don't think i notice that harsh downshifting. But I usually have it in the "M" position so I can govern the highest gear it will shift into also. The guy to talk to in So Cal (or maybe anywhere) about Allisons is Mike at Inglewood Transmissions (actually located in Fullerton) (no affiliation other than a happy customer). You can get him on the Duramax forum here: http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Jr Explorer, thanks for the lead. The truck will down shift like that in normal street mode, it doesn't need to be in tow/haul.
First, Jack, nice write up as always and I'm still right there with you loving these trucks!

John, do you get this harsh downshifting in 4 Low when you have it in "Trailer/Haul" mode or just regular? I have an '07 (so the 6 sp Allison) and when in "normal" 4 Low I don't think i notice that harsh downshifting. But I usually have it in the "M" position so I can govern the highest gear it will shift into also. The guy to talk to in So Cal (or maybe anywhere) about Allisons is Mike at Inglewood Transmissions (actually located in Fullerton) (no affiliation other than a happy customer). You can get him on the Duramax forum here: http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Yeah, this truck has taken me places that I wouldn't think that it would go. I think the hardest trail I had her on was the trail up to Laurel Lk's. just south of Mammoth. When they said Jeep trail they meant it. Well we made it up and back anyways.

Vacation 7-'08 June Lk. 057.jpgVacation 7-'08 June Lk. 058.jpgVacation 7-'08 June Lk. 059.jpg

I'm at 173,000 miles and I've had to do very little to keep her on the road. I did the injectors at 150,000 and I just did the transfer case, dang pump rub. I really need to start doing some preventative maintenance on her. I, like you, head off into the middle of nowhere and I'd really hate to get stranded just because something easy to replace broke. I'm definitely not a savy mechanic, so my MacGyvering skills are really quite limited.

The first thing I want to do after I get all the PM done is to get OBA. Ilike your system, using the motor as your power source. I'm always wanting to air down, so I think that Mod would get used practically every time out. How difficult was it to install your system. I've been looking at the portable air compressors from ARB, and the big plus that these have is that if my wife ever lets me take the FJ out (doubtful) is I can take that compressor with me. Was it much more than a portable electric pump.
Thanks for the compliments and I agree, they are a lot more capable stock that most people give them credit for. I have been lucky on the mods, some were only possible because of deals or I caught it on sale and couldn't pass it up. Others were total fixes to known weaknesses and because my wife and I end up in the middle of nowhere alone a lot, I decided that I would minimize the risks as much as possible. Having said that, there are many, many examples of Dmax's with well over 500k and the owners doing little to nothing to them to get there. I am not brand loyal, I looked at and drove several examples of both dodges and fords before I bought my chevy and it just felt right. Plus for the year range I was looking at '03-'07, they have the best reliability of the three. They are not perfect, but the known issues are either easy to fix or cheap to fix. The same cannot be said of the other two.

Anyway, I have noticed the downshifting, but not often enough for it to stick in my mind as being overly harsh. And sad to say, but it has been a couple of months since it was in 4low, so I may have forgotten. I do know that it really resists up-shifting in low, which is totally different than my landcruiser. It started up shifting as soon as you were rolling and hated to downshift.

I am far from an expert, but I will answer any questions you have to best of my ability, so pick away.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yeah, this truck has taken me places that I wouldn't think that it would go. I think the hardest trail I had her on was the trail up to Laurel Lk's. just south of Mammoth. When they said Jeep trail they meant it. Well we made it up and back anyways.

I'm at 173,000 miles and I've had to do very little to keep her on the road. I did the injectors at 150,000 and I just did the transfer case, dang pump rub. I really need to start doing some preventative maintenance on her. I, like you, head off into the middle of nowhere and I'd really hate to get stranded just because something easy to replace broke. I'm definitely not a savy mechanic, so my MacGyvering skills are really quite limited.

The first thing I want to do after I get all the PM done is to get OBA. Ilike your system, using the motor as your power source. I'm always wanting to air down, so I think that Mod would get used practically every time out. How difficult was it to install your system. I've been looking at the portable air compressors from ARB, and the big plus that these have is that if my wife ever lets me take the FJ out (doubtful) is I can take that compressor with me. Was it much more than a portable electric pump.

Good to hear on the mileage and use. I read enough about the pump rub that I wanted to take care of it before it was a problem. Mine was in great shape when I tore into it, but I love having the piece of mind that it won't be a problem now.

Like the looks of Laurel Lks, might have to add that one to the list.

As far as the OBA...I guess the biggest question would be would I do it again?? Probably not. Since Kilby was bought out, the customer service and quality isn't what it use to be and I had to modify the bracketry to prevent the belt from squealing (nothing was lined up correctly) and while I do use it, I think a quality electric compressor would have been sufficient for most uses. Now that I have my Jeep, it would have been nice to be able to move it to what ever vehicle I am using at the time.

Jack

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Good to hear on the mileage and use. I read enough about the pump rub that I wanted to take care of it before it was a problem. Mine was in great shape when I tore into it, but I love having the piece of mind that it won't be a problem now.

Like the looks of Laurel Lks, might have to add that one to the list.

As far as the OBA...I guess the biggest question would be would I do it again?? Probably not. Since Kilby was bought out, the customer service and quality isn't what it use to be and I had to modify the bracketry to prevent the belt from squealing (nothing was lined up correctly) and while I do use it, I think a quality electric compressor would have been sufficient for most uses. Now that I have my Jeep, it would have been nice to be able to move it to what ever vehicle I am using at the time.

Jack
Thanks, good to know.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Jack- thanks so much for the awesome build and sharing so many details! Really nice job you did outfitting this. I have a question on the OBA...do you see any mileage impact with the engine driven pump? My old plow trucks back in the 80's had engine driven pumps (Fisher) for the plows and first thing I did in the spring was pull the belt for the pump so I wasn't driving the pump all summer. Now Fisher has gone to an electric pump which obviously removes this. (Not to mention the alignment issues! I was getting cold sweats reading your issues on that remembering the times I tried to get that last bit of alignment accurate! :eek:) But I am wondering if electric would give you any measurable boost in mileage (I realize with the torque the Max puts out might make it moot)? Plus with electric it opens up all sorts of flexibility for where you mount it, granted you don't get the same output (Oasis' XD-4000 puts out 8 cfm at 100 psi and 9 at 50 so its less than your 10) but still a decent amount of air IMHO. Thanks again for all the info and the trip reports. Reading this whole thread has taken a while with the links to the AAR's! But its been worth every second! :) And thanks for the info on my IFS question....appreciate it!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack- thanks so much for the awesome build and sharing so many details! Really nice job you did outfitting this. I have a question on the OBA...do you see any mileage impact with the engine driven pump? My old plow trucks back in the 80's had engine driven pumps (Fisher) for the plows and first thing I did in the spring was pull the belt for the pump so I wasn't driving the pump all summer. Now Fisher has gone to an electric pump which obviously removes this. (Not to mention the alignment issues! I was getting cold sweats reading your issues on that remembering the times I tried to get that last bit of alignment accurate! :eek:) But I am wondering if electric would give you any measurable boost in mileage (I realize with the torque the Max puts out might make it moot)? Plus with electric it opens up all sorts of flexibility for where you mount it, granted you don't get the same output (Oasis' XD-4000 puts out 8 cfm at 100 psi and 9 at 50 so its less than your 10) but still a decent amount of air IMHO. Thanks again for all the info and the trip reports. Reading this whole thread has taken a while with the links to the AAR's! But its been worth every second! :) And thanks for the info on my IFS question....appreciate it!

I don't think it impacted the mileage, it is just a regular York A/C compressor and clutch, so they turn very easy when not engaged. Now that I have everything aligned properly (took a Gates laser alignment tool to do it), I don't think there is any additional drag. And as you say, I'm not sure I would notice with the D-Max anyway. I know exactly what you mean on the alignment, I lost a lot of sleep over the squeal, it was embarrassing to drive and extremely annoying.

It feels like it has been a long time in the making, but we have had the chance to really enjoy it as the build has progressed, so that helps. I am pretty much done with any mods on it at this point. I have one last thing to finish up, I am done with half of it, but the second half is taking a little longer, too many house projects and such. Other than that, it is just maintaining it and using it. Speaking of which, it's time to head to the desert. Heading up into the BlackRock in two weeks.

You are welcome on the answers. There is a ton of info on the 'net on how to make one fast, lift it to the moon or pull with it, but not too much on using them for backcountry exploring. Hopefully my stuff will help someone else.

Jack

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Oh my goodness the "d" word lol.

If that is the case I'm happy for you, it's not something most of us ever achieve. I love your truck and I love what you do with it, everything about your story is really great and I definitely think you make the right choice.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It is pretty amazing to even think that I'm done, but at some point, you really just have to realize that it works and if you keep going you are going to "fix it 'till it breaks."

Could I do more? Sure, but I just want to drive/use it.

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it and glad that you have enjoyed it.

Jack

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I know what you mean, it's awesome that you get to really use your truck so much. I'm not there yet but I'm a lot closer than I was 5 years ago. Hell I've never even put up a thread about the truck here.

In the end I'm mostly jealous of your economy and range. I need to get my second tank working again just to get back to 320 miles @ 10mpg lol

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
It is pretty amazing to even think that I'm done, but at some point, you really just have to realize that it works and if you keep going you are going to "fix it 'till it breaks."
Jack

Isn't that the truth Jack!

Thankfully I stopped fixing my 4runner years ago and I still like it, it drives and works well.

The Tundra is still 'under the knife', but I hope to be finished by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior