Overland "Lite" Super Duty Crew Cab?

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
In the month or so that I've been a member here at the ExPo forums I've learned a lot. Ironically I found this place just looking for information on crew cabs. The reason I was looking was because I anticipated our family (currently me, my wife, and our chocolate lab) outgrowing my regular cab Super Duty in the next few years. However, I recently found out that we'll have outgrown it as of October 2011-I'm gonna be a dad!!! :victory: Obviously we've got a lot to plan and think about, and vehicles are a big part of it since both sets of grandparents (located about 50 miles away in opposite directions) want to help with childcare and once the baby is old enough we want to start doing road trips again. My goal is to have a new (well, new to me) truck by 2012.

Now for what I'm looking to do. As the title implies, I'm looking to build an overland "lite" vehicle, meaning I don't think I'm looking to build a truck that will function as a camper (with a slide-in/pop up) for a few reasons-first I utilize a large (60 gallon) auxiliary fuel tank that really can't go anywhere else besides the cab end of the bed (it's a toolbox tank) without major issues because it's a heated tank that holds vegetable oil. Mounting some sort of underbody tank would be possible but not without expensive fabrication work, etc... The other reason is that since I tend to use the bed of my truck a lot, a slide-in or pop up could be problematic to get in and out so often. For any camping we do I think my best bet is a pop-up trailer. Also, one of our long term goals is to buy land in Maine and establish a camp there for summer vacations and fall deer hunting. We're about 10 hours from the area where we'd like to buy so a vehicle that can carry the entire family plus everything we'd need for the trip is a must. Finally, we want to do do lots of family vacations to National Parks and Forests out West, so again, a family hauler that can carry a lot of gear will be a must.

Trips that my wife and I have done so far usually involve staying in a cabin rather than true camping. We use the cabin as our base of operations, cooking our own meals in it and sleeping in it at night obviously, so again, a camper wouldn't be a our best bet. However, if we're doing a 10 or 12 hour drive somewhere, I'd like the ability to pull off at a rest area and cook a meal rather than stop at a Burger King. Another thing I thought of was gadget power in remote places. We've looked at cabins that have no electricity, and one of the challenges of building our own camp in Maine will be how to get electricity for tools, etc...my thought was finding some way to either produce enough power through a high amp alternator (Powerstroke ambulances used 200 amp altenators) with heavy duty inverters or to mount a generator somewhere on/in the truck. I'm also thinking that both of these features would also come in handy for one of our other favorite pastimes-tailgating! Anyway, just some thoughts I'm throwing around-I'll be interested to hear from other folks who have done builds similar to the one I'm proposing.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I would recommend something in a smaller tow behind travel trailer (hardside). I have a hardtop cabover on my CC Ford and one of the greatest things about having a hard side camper is that anyplace you can pull over, you can stop, have lunch, snack, nap, use the bathroom and there is no "setup." Also, it doesn't look like you are "camping" when you stop, you can just look parked. Great for stealth camping.

Since it doesn't seem like you are going to be dragging the trailer over Moab type trails, I don't see the need to suffer, besides it seems like you can find a hard side trailer for about the same money as a tent trailer.

Also, I would invest in a true generator if that is what you need vs. using your truck as the generator. Better to run the crap out of a little generator meant to be one, than idle your big expensive truck for long periods of time. It will be much more expensive than a generator all the way around. Unless you have an Idle Up controller for your PSD, it is not recommended to allow them to idle for extended periods of time.

Jack

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
I would recommend something in a smaller tow behind travel trailer (hardside). I have a hardtop cabover on my CC Ford and one of the greatest things about having a hard side camper is that anyplace you can pull over, you can stop, have lunch, snack, nap, use the bathroom and there is no "setup." Also, it doesn't look like you are "camping" when you stop, you can just look parked. Great for stealth camping.

Gotcha-it's a lot to think about which is why I'm doing my research now. I posted some questions in the camper forum too but will look into hardside trailers.

TomH

Adventurer
Rather than going with a regular bed, you might possibly go with a utility bed so that you have access to lots of stuff in the boxes from the outside and don't have to crawl inside for any and every item you need to access. You can still put a shell with swing out doors on a utility bed, and can still have the crew cab. The utility bed should still have the interior width to lay a sheet of plywood

Depending on how big you envision the family eventually getting, another possibility is a Ford E350 long bed van. Lots of do it yourself Sportsmobilers build what they call "transformer" vehicles. The interior can be changed out and set up into a number of interior configurations with seats, beds, storage, kitchen, toy hauler bays. You can set it up one way for work, unplug and replug hardware to transform it into a family travel vehicle. You can also tow 10k lb with this van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12