Montero Suspension Travel?

red87

Adventurer
How much suspension travel front and rear does a gen 2 Montero have? I'm debating between a Trooper and a Montero for my next 4x4 and that is one bit of info I've been having a hard time finding. Thanks in advance.

78Bronco

Explorer
The rear has plenty of potential if you disconnect the swaybar but really the limiting factor will be shock length.

You could ask on 4x4wire.com in the mitsu section.

red87

Adventurer
The rear has plenty of potential if you disconnect the swaybar but really the limiting factor will be shock length.

You could ask on 4x4wire.com in the mitsu section.

I'm more concerned with the front. All the pictures I've seen show little to no flex but it looked like they all had the front swaybar connected still. I spend most of my explorations in the desert at fairly high speeds so travel is important to me.

Justice R

Adventurer
The front will have a bit better travel if you disconnect the front sway bar, but nothing to write home about. You can trim the bump stops to gain a little more, maybe a gain of an extra two inches. But I believe the difference between the Montero and the trooper to be very minimal in the front.

red87

Adventurer
The front will have a bit better travel if you disconnect the front sway bar, but nothing to write home about. You can trim the bump stops to gain a little more, maybe a gain of an extra two inches. But I believe the difference between the Montero and the trooper to be very minimal in the front.

Minimal eh? I do like the Monty's spec list much better than the Trooper, I'm just stuck on the suspension issue. I'm coming from a 87 Toyota pickup with little to no flex so I'd like my next vehicle to be smoother on those washboard roads.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Minimal eh? I do like the Monty's spec list much better than the Trooper, I'm just stuck on the suspension issue. I'm coming from a 87 Toyota pickup with little to no flex so I'd like my next vehicle to be smoother on those washboard roads.
Washboards at 50mph... not a problem in either my 89 2-door, 96 4 door, or my old 89, & 90 4 doors.:Wow1::Wow1:

At the death valley run I put together last year, a bunch of us Montero drivers had to move to the front of our 13 rig caravan so we could travel at a decent speed 45-60mph over the washboard section of the trail we were on while the other rigs that couldn't go that fast stayed at 5-20mph.

High speed dirt handling is leaps and bounds better than my 87 4runner.

Do the Montero. The thing that bugs me the most about the montero thus far in my limited relationship is the difficulty of working on it...

I had narrowed my search down to the Trooper and Montero, and for me, the Montero was the winner.

red87

Adventurer
High speed dirt handling is leaps and bounds better than my 87 4runner.

Do the Montero. The thing that bugs me the most about the montero thus far in my limited relationship is the difficulty of working on it...

I had narrowed my search down to the Trooper and Montero, and for me, the Montero was the winner.

That's my exact same dilemma. What tipped it in favor of the Montero?

That's my exact same dilemma. What tipped it in favor of the Montero?

Little things really. But the three big things were better fuel economy with more power plus the factory locking rear diff.

The little things were roof gutters for future roof rack mounting, sliding rear windows, leather seats, stout automatic transmission (crappy autos in troopers).

Not to mention there are soooo many troopers, which could be a good thing...

red87

Adventurer
Having Mitsubishi still exist in the passenger car world would probably help finding parts though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior