New to the expedition

stewwalker

Observer
Hey there. I'm new to overlanding, but not offroading. I have raced off road motocross for over 10 years and have made a few trips to baja. (on bikes with a chase truck) I'm currently in college in south Texas for wild life management and I am starting to gain interests in overlanding. My current vehicle is a 1995 suburban K1500. So my main question is what do I need to do to make my truck "expedition" worthy.(1-2 day trips) I have seen many hunting trucks with onboard air, water, coolers, ect. but what is actually necessary on a rig?

shovelbill

Observer
the terrain you plan on traversing will determine tire size, gearing, axle strength, winch or not, gas cans, communication......trailer? where will you be going? there's a wrench for every nut, tell us where you plan on going and how many people are you taking.

please don't go out and buy a snorkle straight away. :coffeedrink:

805gregg

Adventurer
You have a good lightweight rig perfect, just keep it simple like your are going backpacking except in a car. The simpler the rig the more fun you will have, (less BS).

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Stew! I am sure you will get all the info you need here from the helpfull people on this website. Sounds like you have a good vehicle to start your overlanding hobby. Have fun!:wings:

stewwalker

Observer
Since I do live in Texas and theres not many public places to go I would probably just be going to Big Bend State Park, up and down the coast and maybe a trip to the baja 500. My truck does have 230,000 miles on it and the only thing that has given me trouble was the transfer case. (10,000 miles ago). I don't plan on doing any major wheeling, just enjoying the outdoors.

shovelbill

Observer
i'd start with this: http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98-6lug.htm

some Bilstein shocks, 14 bolt semi floating rear with an ARB selectable locker, 3.73 or 4.10 sears, some sensible 33" tires, high lift jack with some recovery equipment, matching spare, OBA, quality lighting, dual battery setup.....front and rear receiver hitches and a removable winch if help won't be very close, pullpal, you can find it cheaper too. ( http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/pullpal.html )

that would make for a good start on a capable IFS Suburban

Last edited:

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
welcome, im also going to go to school for wildlife management. Are you going to Stephen f Austin? Im in community college in s.a. right now until I pick my next school.

stewwalker

Observer
I for got to mention that there is already a 3" body lift, 33" bfg all terrains, roof rack and front replacement bumper. I figure I'm okay with just these modifications/extras but I want to make sure I'm prepared for my travels.

bmxdannyo. Im at Texas A&M University Kingsville. Give us a look if you haven't already.

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
That's the other school I'm thinking about. If you still have your bike, every now and then ill go out to hidden falls adventure park. Hit me up if you ever wanna go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior