Casper's Xterra Build

Casper

Adventurer
Hey Casper,

Can you provide a little more detail on the new hinge configuration? I had come to the same conclusion to extend the pivot point outward. I think I have a sketch at work and will scan and post. My idea had the arm nesting into a channel to provide more support over the length of the arms.

Heading to another music festival this fall and will be taking the truck. I pulled a utility trailer this summer, but would like to see if I can eliminate that during the next year. Since I am back to running little tires - 31", the spare still fits underneath. I have to carry two CPAP machines for Anthon-e and I, so we have to have electricity. I will be mounting my generator on the drivers side with fuel on the passenger side. I am looking at having a longer roof rack fab'd to extend a little further forward to store a couple boxes in front of the RTT, more like a lumber rack.

Back to your truck. Again, I would appreciate more details on the hinge assembly and parts utilized.

Hope you are finding the trails enjoyable this summer, and that the snow is plentiful and soft this winter.

Good to hear from you, and glad you decided to keep the X. Trails have been nothing but fun.

As to your rack, are you thinking of extenting over the hood or keeping it just over the roof of the truck? If your not going to extend over the hood, I would suggest looking at the Gobi rack. I know they are pricey, but they have much more useable space on them than the factory rack.

I think you are asking for more detail on the rear swing arms???? If so no problem.

The swing arms have two hiems in the ends.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

This makes for a strong smooth opening and closing. The brackets that weld on to the bumper are actually identicle left side and right side, just flipped over. They are identicle top to bottom as well.

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

If you look at the center of this photo, you can see the support bracket under the latch. It's a simple piece of L channel, spaced out from the bumper about 1/2 an inch or so.

IMG_2107.jpg

ORI did the rear bumper for me, and I have to say they do fabulous work. I have had so many folks coment on it I am going to see if they will make some of them to sell, since they can be welded onto any aftermarket steel Xterra bumper.

Let me know if I answered your questions ok, and if you need more/better photos. Oh, and say hello to Anthon-e for me.

Jimbo,
Thanks for the compliments. It was good to meet you at ORI the other day, hope you can make the next one.

Casper
:smiley_drive:

Casper

Adventurer
Ok, small update. I decided it was time for a new hitch. My old one was a Lock & Roll. Great hitch, worked well but I bent it before I knew your not suppose to jackknife the trailer.

IMG_2262.jpg

Here you can see the twist in the hitch.
IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

I don't think it would have failed, and it was still very usable but a tad harder to get hooked up since it was bent.

On to the new hitch. AT's multi-axis coupler.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

As usual, fit and finish of this product is second to none (and I have a prototype, the production ones are even nicer). I can see how this is less likely to bind up, but I will not be jackknifing my trailer anymore to find out. I do see one small issue, it is a tad harder to hook up to the truck. You have to have the hole lined up perfectly to get the pin in. With the old L & R you just needed to be close and as you lowered the trailer jack you could "rock" the trailer and the hitch would drop into place. It may just take practice, we shall see. Either way I think it's a better coupler all around.

Take care.

Casper
:coffeedrink:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yo Casper, I have the "lock & Roll" hitch too

Although my trailer is much lighter than the AT's, I've still been very careful to "NEVER JACKKNIFE" it

I'm sure the NEW couplers are better than the "old", but I can't condone the welding jobs that you show on yours

Don't forget to cross your chains !!!

Cheers

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Casper

Adventurer
:sombrero: Yo Casper, I have the "lock & Roll" hitch too

Although my trailer is much lighter than the AT's, I've still been very careful to "NEVER JACKKNIFE" it

I'm sure the NEW couplers are better than the "old", but I can't condone the welding jobs that you show on yours

Don't forget to cross your chains !!!

Cheers

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Yea, I try to never jackknife it either, but from time to time find myself in places where there is no other way out without unhooking the trailer. Guess I will be unhooking it.

As to the welds, it's a prototype. They are strong, which is all I am worried about. The production ones look much cleaner.

Casper
:coffeedrink:

P.S., chain are ALWAYS crossed. No other way is safe. :smiley_drive:

Let me tell you it is very hard to cut up a perfectly good, brand new $75 dollar mount, but I figured it had to be done to get what I wanted. About three days after I had it mounted and was very happy with it, a friend sent me a link to a mount MADE for the tank I have. $25.:eek: AAAARG, now that I don't need the mount anymore I can find them everywhere. Figures.

Casper

Link for a mount for the small tanks?

Casper

Adventurer
Hey Casper, maybe I missed it, but what size tires you running now?

Good to here from you. I am looking forward to seeing your SAS in person some day, maybe goneMOAB 2010?????? :victory:

Anyway, tires are BFG KM2's 315-75-16. Basically a 35 12.5 16. So far I love them. On trail I am usually running them at around 8 psi.

Cheers

Casper

Casper

Adventurer
Well, I have a small update.

As I do quite a few trips a year where I don't need spare fuel, the 4 fuel cans I carry tend to be just "dead wieght" I also tend to wheel with a group that can be quite large and go through quite a bit of water. The said, I found a place that sells Scepter water cans. It took longer than I thought to get them (3 months)

So now I can carry 20 gallons of fuel, or 20 extra gallons of water, or any combination of the 2. :wings:

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

Not a big mod, but still a mob.

Casper +8

KUMA

Observer
Wow Josh, seeing your X at gone was awesome but after seeing these pics! It is incredible! I really like what you did with the bumper! Really give's it a new clean look and looks good with black. I am sure Portjos likes it too... haha

Did you do it from the spray can or the roll-on stuff? And did you strip any of the old powder coating? I have been thinking about doing it to my sliders and bumpers.

*Edit* Nevermind didn't read I guess, I am dummy! But boy does it look good! My girlfriend says she wants one of those trailers asap!

Last edited:

Willman

Very nice Casper! I love all your mods to your AT!!

I'm on my second Lock N' Roll......Mine did the same thing....I have a fix that i will be posting up soon...

Jack knifing is really not a bad thing....You just have to have you hitch ready for battle = Grease!!! Just got back from the Maze in Utah....In order to make a few turns....i had to jackknife the trailer.....The hitch is still perfect! Lock n' Rolls and grease = to no damage if your careful!

Keep the great mods coming!!!

:)

Casper

Adventurer
wow great build up!!
Love what I have seen so far, whats next??

Thanks, what next, well that's a good question. I am going to be replacing the front coil-overs with 12 inch ones. Need new rear springs, just not sure which ones. I also have some changes to the trailer storage, that will happen this winter. Lastly, I find myself wanting to "lighten" the rig. So, I may redesign some things to accomplish that. Stay tuned.

Very nice Casper! I love all your mods to your AT!!

I'm on my second Lock N' Roll......Mine did the same thing....I have a fix that i will be posting up soon...

Jack knifing is really not a bad thing....You just have to have you hitch ready for battle = Grease!!! Just got back from the Maze in Utah....In order to make a few turns....i had to jackknife the trailer.....The hitch is still perfect! Lock n' Rolls and grease = to no damage if your careful!

Keep the great mods coming!!!

:)
Grease, I thought I had it greased enough. Guess not. I will make sure to grease the new one more. I do have to say I don't think it is possible to bind this one.

Casper +19.75

Casper

Adventurer
Wow Josh, seeing your X at gone was awesome but after seeing these pics! It is incredible! I really like what you did with the bumper! Really give's it a new clean look and looks good with black. I am sure Portjos likes it too... haha

Did you do it from the spray can or the roll-on stuff? And did you strip any of the old powder coating? I have been thinking about doing it to my sliders and bumpers.

I used Duplicolor Spray on Bedliner. I chose that one because it seemed to have the most good reviews. Being a spray my thought was "touch ups" would be easier. The rear bumper just got sanded for the most part. Some grinding was done for the rusty sections. As for the front bumper, that's a different story. It was really rusty. I pretty much stripped it completely before painting it. I did not use any primer (directions said not to) and did many coats.

My only real recommendation would be to practice first. If I had it to do over, I would take a smaller used part and completely paint it to practice.

Good luck.

Casper +19.75
:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger