Inflatable mattress?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looking for alternatives to sleeping in the vehicle or sleeping on the ground.

Has anyone tried one of those large, inflatable mattresses that they sell at outdoor stores? They often have a built in 12v air pump to pump them up. Some are quite tall.

Wondering if anyone has tried one and what their experiences are, i.e., ease of use, durability when camping (that is, ability to set up/take down daily without undue wear, etc.)

The vehicle sleeping thing just doesn't seem to work with 2 people in a vehicle the size of my 4runner. Even my extra-cab Taco was too small to be comfortable. I'm thinking a medium sized tent and a decent mattress might be a good alternative. Don't like sleeping on the ground but a nice mattress could make the difference. A cot is also a possibility but I've spent enough time sleeping in cots to know it's not a preferred way to sleep.

Thanks in advance for any input/ideas.

Salue

Adventurer
I used to do the air mattress but it would get really cold. I've since switched to a roll a cot with a sleeping pad on top; best setup yet!

jim65wagon

We used an air mattress a few years ago. It worked quite well. Then we had to use it as a spare bed for overnight company and the cat took a liking to it. Our next camping trip surprised us with a rude awakening of waking up at 2:00 AM with the ribs of the truck bed pressing painfully into our backs. Had to air that sucker up twice to get through the night.....after that trip we ran out and bought cots and a ground tent. Slumberjack makes comfy cots. I like it better than the air mattress.

98roamer

Explorer
We've used an airbed set for 16years and we've had many morning flat on the ground. Due to my wife's shoulder issues we remain with the airbed. It can get cold so we use a wool blanket as a mattress cover with full set of sheets and down comforter covers. But over time (3-5), air will need to be added, especially during fall camping when the nights get cold. I hate waking up with the half deflated hammock affect but it does force us to cuddle. :elkgrin:

We have a portable 12v air pump just in case the built-in unit or batteries dies. The built-in unit doesn't fill it firm enough for us which requires a me to top it off manually ending in a buzz.

Storage, protect the airbed. Most of our failures were caused during storage or transport.

(Save the old ones for a PFD during house boat trips. )

Last edited:

DylanT

Observer
I like airbeds and there are some decent double ones around for about $60. But you can get screwed if they get a hole in em.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You guys haven't heard of Thermarest?

I use two of the 3" thick full length models which are plenty cush and I've NEVER had them deflate on me once inflated. Being average weight (170lbs) I usually don't inflate it fully so it feels much softer.

I also built an in vehicle sleeping platform that sits above the wheel wells and then folds out towards the front when I fold the rear split seat forward and flat. With this setup I get nearly 7'x4' worth of sleeping area.

Also, being in the vehicle you're less apt to suffer from wind chill and if cold does becomes a problem you can always start the engine for a bit and run your heater.:ylsmoke: Usually I end up over heated at night with my 15* bag but based on your resting blood circulation & fat/natural insulation ratio your mileage may vary on the temp factor.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I posted this here as well. My wife is half my weight. When we used one, I hit the floor and her side was solid as a rock. We will never buy one for the two of us. I have a 4" self inflating one similar to a therm-a-rest, I love it and wife is happy too.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I use a sleeping pad (Thermarest) on top of my cot (Alps). Really, the cot alone is comfortable enough, but the pad is that much better. My cot is oversized (86x40).
jorKUAWJPfNpEyXVux3F8RnL_GcHpPxS_YDSXh6wHCPGtyIAP7QNReTL5orT7LJh8G44JJ5U3Fo-qM2sUuEGAiHEdKlsAUYkp8QwvXkkQzsVzsh2J-Ra_zHBe5zoHdlx4cuuQPQ3oud6639o7So6XqGAPN306Ib595z_qB4wrHM

I always liked sleeping in the car, provided you have space and can deal with the condensation.

Honu

lost on the mainland
old thread just saw it so figure give some info for those searching :)

cheap inflate bed never seem to see them last very long ? or the pumps go out etc.. they have no insulation so be careful if its cold out ;)
me I would rather use a quality pad that will last !!! yes they are more but worth it IMHO I wont cheap out on my back and sleep !
fine for a house not for outside IMHO

I have some alps pads had some thermarest including the dream time also have a exped megamat ! very nice thick box design see it here http://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMat...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332407348&sr=1-8

but my favorite is the nemo cosmo pillow top !!!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035EEMPC/ref=oh_o00_s01_i04_details
killer price at amazon !
second is the exped megamat also its 30 inches wide actually a bit wider and THICK and NICE put a pillow top on it then its the nicest pad :)

the reason I like the nemo better is its smaller and I am trying to save space but really comfort of these two they are both 4 inches and super comfy so flip a coin both are killer !!!! so I can highly recomend these two pads as I have them

actually last two nights for fun I slept on them both with the exped on the bottom and the nemo on top of it and WOW its nicer than my bed I think :)

you need insulation the nemo has some with its pillow top but if you sleep in really cold you want something like the exped or any self inflating like thermarest if you get a air you want to get insulation !!! again the one I like has the pillow which as light insulation for where I am its great if its cold I would slip in a exped synmat or exped downmat in that nemo pillow top setup

need more width just get the loops that hold pads together
wife and I used to do that but in our RTT we used pads under foam since we are moving to tents I have been thinking of twin pads with loops and use a exped multimat over it to help make them feel like one ? again have not done this but going to try it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior