1500HD

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Hey all, haven't been on the portal in a while, but I sold my Jeep WJ (319,000 km owned since new) in favor of something a little more useful for work. Picked up a 2006 F350 6.0 PSD. Turned out to be an absolute lemon, in the shop 3 times in the first month I owned it. Had a mechanic friend recommend the GM 6.0 gas. Found a 1500HD a week later, so I picked it up and got rid of the Ford.
5.jpg
102,000 km on the clock, fully loaded minus sunroof. The PO recorded every service and oil change in the manual, even had some white gloves packed in with the jack
4.jpg
Added a back rack, Firestone rear air bags, superchips tuner, and some new tires
2.jpg
Found a guy who just bought a duramax with an Excelaguard aluminum front bumper that he didn't like and was looking to trade it straight up for a stock bumper, so I jumped on it. It looked terrible with the brushed aluminum covered in road grime. I chopped off about 4-5" from the bottom and sent it to the powdercoater
3.jpg
Looks about 100X better in black!

I've got lots of ideas for the truck and can't wait til summer to get out camping and exploring with it

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The truck is nice, I have the 6.0 in my 2002 Great motor!
Mine does have a little piston slap noise and when cold sounds like a diesel.

That front bumper is big, looks like the Australian Road train bumpers they sell for Big Rigs.
Nice find!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Magnuts. The truck looks great:Wow1: and the improvements:Wow1: to your aluminum front bumper are awesome!:)

delithic

Observer
Have you figured out what is causing that yet? I only ask, because I thought I had a piston problem in my 2001 Tahoe and it was just one of the exhaust manifold bolts that the head had sheared off and it separated from the engine every time you gassed it. Sounded horrible.

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Thanks for the compliments! At this point I'm thinking of stepping up to a set of 285/75/16's. The new bumper opened up the front wheelwells quite a bit and with the leveling kit and air bags they should fit nicely. Also have some ideas for a bed rack that I might put into action

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

That front bumper is big, looks like the Australian Road train bumpers they sell for Big Rigs.
Nice find!

Cold startup ticking on the 6.0 is often the rear exhaust manifold studs. They fail alot. I've hit my exhaust on the ground a couple times, that most likely didn't help. It goes away when my truck heats up and the pipes expand.

Other than that my 6.0 has been really good. It goes into failure mode if you start it with a bad battery connection. I just hacked off the battery cable ends and switched to regular post style batteries and clamps. Side posts are terrible, I don't know what GM was thnking?

MagnutsWJ

Observer
i love the bumper. looks great! too bad that companies website is pretty much useless.

Thanks. Ya, their website is brutal. When I was deciding on the bumper I had a tough time finding pics online so I just went for it. Glad I did

BurbanAZ

Explorer
good looking truck, its always nice to buy a vehicle where maintenance was documented so well. That is a huge bumper, is it mounted any more solidly than the stocker?

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Please post a side view of the new bumper on the truck.
Still Have the hood scoops?

Here's as close to a side view as I have right now

1.jpg

The scoops are still on there. I'd like to get rid of them but I'm worried about the paint getting messed up when they come off. Anyone have experience with that? Ideas?

MagnutsWJ

Observer
good looking truck, its always nice to buy a vehicle where maintenance was documented so well. That is a huge bumper, is it mounted any more solidly than the stocker?

The mounting brackets mount to the 4 tow hook bolts on each side, then there are 4 more per side to the bumper. Its pretty solid, if I give it a good tug the whole truck rocks

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Here's a couple shots of my trailer with my old WJ. Haven't found time or a need to go pick up the trailer since I bought the GM. I'll get er out camping this summer though:

Greenhorn1.jpg

WJ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior