iPad 3 announcement

haven

Expedition Leader
issues with new iPad

It's been 48 hours since delivery started for the new iPad, and a number of issues have surfaced.

The power used by the new processor and screen is the source of one set of problems. It seems that the new iPad has a power draw of around 4 watts, which is 70% more than the iPad 2. That's the reason for the new iPad's big battery.

Using that much electricity means more heat is produced. The case can get warm under normal use. One blogger reported the iPad displayed an "iPad needs to cool down" message after only 10 minutes' use in direct sun on a 70F day. It looks like the new iPad will not be a good choice for use outdoors on warm days.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2010/04/techies-fume-over-ipad-s-hidden-weakness/24956/

The new iPad ships with the same 10W power adapter as the iPad 2. A big battery takes longer to charge than a smaller one. So the new iPad needs to be left on its charger longer to complete the charging cycle. It also means that the new iPad will recharge more slowly than the iPad 2 if you're using the tablet while attached to the charger.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/15...-significantly-increased-with-larger-battery/

Most everyone agrees that the new higher resolution screen makes reading text easier on the eyes, makes a big difference in viewing and editing photos, and is the first tablet to show 1080p HD movies in all their glory. Good stuff -- but only for apps that have been upgraded to take advantage of the new display. While some 3rd parties (Amazon Kindle, for example) have upgraded their apps, it will take a while for others (Netflix, for example) to join the party. Graphics intensive apps like games will need the most work.

About 600 apps have been upgraded to work with the Retina Display, out of, what, 600,000 apps? You'll receive notice on iTunes or your iPad when an upgrade is available.

Is 16 GB of storage enough? The new apps take up to 3 times as much storage space because graphics sized for the Retina Display take up more room. Video at 1080p takes up 2.25 times the space of 720p. Apps that do photo editing will need more storage space. And so on.

Conclusion: If you plan to use the new iPad primarily for reading e-books and web surfing, you should be fine with 16 GB. If you plan to read graphic-intensive magazines, edit photos or view 1080p movies, the you probably need the 32 GB version (or more). Otherwise, you'll frequently need to manage the files on your iPad using iTunes or iCloud.

There's a hidden problem here for iPad 2 owners. Developers will ship their apps in a universal form that works for iPad 2 and new iPad models. When iPad 2 owners upgrade to the latest versions of apps, they wil find the apps take up more space than the older versions.

Fester

Observer
This is from Apple

AT&T or Verizon.
If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 4G LTE service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. So while you don't have to activate service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G according to the carrier you prefer.

No contract. No long-term commitment.
When you decide to activate 4G LTE data service, you can choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — with no long-term contract. So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you'll be traveling and cancel when you get back.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
This is from Apple

AT&T or Verizon.
If you decide on an iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G, be sure to select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 4G LTE service. The iPad model you purchase is specially configured to work with either AT&T or Verizon — not both. So while you don't have to activate service right away, you should choose your iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G according to the carrier you prefer.

No contract. No long-term commitment.
When you decide to activate 4G LTE data service, you can choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — with no long-term contract. So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you'll be traveling and cancel when you get back.

Thanks....Looks like I'm officially in the market for a new Ipad. Soundsl like the 64Gb might be the best route to take..

RobRed

Explorer
Ok, I watched your vid you posted on the media hub thread. 64 Gb it is. New question.
I have an iphone 4s and was going to use it for tethering to the New iPad. Would this work or should I pony up for the "4G". Which is better for gps, native connection or tethering.

Neither. Network connections are not needed for GPS.

For downloading maps etc via the network, the native connection will be easier and more reliable.

haven

Expedition Leader
Maybe the new iPad's display doesn't make as big a difference as we're being told. Staffers from website The Next Web stood outside an Apple store and showed people an iPad 2 alongside a new iPad, then asked them to choose the one with the Retina Display. A surprising number chose the iPad 2.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nope, just sharing the tidbits I find online that might help someone make a decision.

I have an Android 4.0 tablet on order, and I'll buy a new iPad when I can find the configuration I want at Best Buy (18 months to pay, same as cash). When Windows 8 comes out, I'll probably buy one of those, too.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
That video regarding the iPad 2 and 3 is a bit curious. They're only showing the home screen...maybe that's the difference? My wife has the iPad 2 and I held out for the third generation. I find that text is crisper and easier to read, especially small, fine text on the retina display. Movies look incredible on the third gen too (1080).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior