Portable Tiki Torch...any suggestions?

Archy88

Good Afternoon,
I've been lurking these boards for a few days while looking at the camp kitchens that I can't afford. However, I do have a little project up my sleeves and I figure some of you might lend me an idea or two.

I would like to create a portable version of the bamboo tiki torches that you see everywhere. I use a Jeep Liberty while camping and a normal size torch takes up too much room.

I want to incorporate the use of either a beer bottle or wine bottle to spice things up a bit. I am SLIGHTLY worried about someone viewing this as a molotov cocktail lol. From here I was thinking of getting a 5' section of 3/4" pvc and cutting it in half. In the same aisle, I found a coupler which can be used to reattach these lengths. The bottle would be glued to a 3/4"->2" adapter. The bottom end of the pole would be cut at an angle for easy earth insertion :)

This is the best..and most importantly, cheapest idea that I've come up with. Should I run with it, or are there better methods out there that I have overlooked?

Thank you so much! I also look forward to visiting this forum often!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Wal Mart had some table top version of Tiki Torches. Shaped like a figure 8 when seen from the side. $5 range I think.

Googled Wal Mart Tiki. They popped up. $12. for a set of 4.

Last edited:

Archy88

What advantages are there in having a tiki torch in camp?
I've always felt that they cut down on the mosquito issue when placing 2-4 around the campsite.

I have looked at the tabletop versions at walmart, but I don't feel that leaving one on the picnic table will be as effective. I haven't really tried to be honest, it is just an assumption. If I can't find anything which will work towards my idea, I may spend the few bucks and give one a chance.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

overlander

Expedition Leader
Big fire in glass doesn't sound like a good idea to me. A couple citronella candles in the little pails will do the same thing more safely.

robert

Expedition Leader
Jeez, what a bunch of buzzkills. Who needs a reason for tiki torches other than they're cool. :beer: I have a couple of the bamboo ones that I carry in the bus on occasion; citronella and a party ambiance in one package.

That said, I'd forgo the glass bottle idea and stick with the metal cans. I've seen them several places with take apart metal poles, but I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head (maybe Target or World Market?).

Archy88

Jeez, what a bunch of buzzkills. Who needs a reason for tiki torches other than they're cool. :beer: I have a couple of the bamboo ones that I carry in the bus on occasion; citronella and a party ambiance in one package.

That said, I'd forgo the glass bottle idea and stick with the metal cans. I've seen them several places with take apart metal poles, but I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head (maybe Target or World Market?).

Lol. I was starting to feel a little silly for posting the question. Thanks for the humor :) I agree they're cool, and we have always taken some along with us...more habit now than anything I guess.
I agree with the glass bottle, I will forego that idea and stick with a plastic one, or a metal can. I'd hate for something to happen, or for someone to call me out on it.

I've been looking online and in my local stores. The only idea that I came up with is an extendable curtain rod. But I'm not too sure they'll be steady enough to hold the liquid/can weight. Or even one of those cheap flag pole kits. I believe most of them come in sections.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think they cut down on bugs too but who cares tikis are awesome around all nightime activities!! i have several and am actually incorporating some into the roll cage i'm currently building for my trail pig. gonna be cool. i'll take a pic or two when its done for ya.

i like the beer bottle idea and i cant imagine a problem unless it got knocked over and broke. home depot has/had some with two section poles and they take a prefilled can refill.

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
I am going to try some solar garden lights on the next trip.

Keep them on the roof rack during the day to charge and then the should go all night??

Archy88

i think they cut down on bugs too but who cares tikis are awesome around all nightime activities!! i have several and am actually incorporating some into the roll cage i'm currently building for my trail pig. gonna be cool. i'll take a pic or two when its done for ya.

i like the beer bottle idea and i cant imagine a problem unless it got knocked over and broke. home depot has/had some with two section poles and they take a prefilled can refill.

I think I found what you mentioned. The Tiki brand sells a 4 in 1 torch. I broke down and spent the $ last night. They can be incorporated into a table top flame, garden flame(roughly 3' tall), or a full torch @ 63" tall. Thank you for the heads up! This is exactly what I wanted to purchase!

Archy88

I am going to try some solar garden lights on the next trip.

Keep them on the roof rack during the day to charge and then the should go all night??

I definitely considered a few of these to light up the guy lines of my tent. Got to chill on the spending right now lol. Began the season by buying a new tent and all new supplies...:Wow1:

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got a couple of the inexpensive solar LED garden lights that I put near the stake for the guy lines for my awning if I put it up. I've never paid attention to how long they last since they're still going when I head to bed. The only problem I've had with them is the plastic stakes don't penetrate well; I keep meaning to make some sort of metal stake that I can drive in then sit them on but I never seem to get around to it. The tiki torches I put a bit further out if I have the nylon awning/tarp out.

The reflective type line that you can buy for guy lines works pretty well too.

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Tiki torches are SWEET! THATS WHY! If you come up with a finished product of a compact Tiki post pics for sure. Ive posted a few Tikis up in camp when, for whatever reason, I couldnt or didnt make a campfire. Lazy perhaps? Gotta love those mellow Tikis...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior