Gen 2 3.15:1 transfer case gear swap

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Like money in my pocket my recently purchased 3.15:1 Transfer Case Gears were proverbially burning a hole in my room.
lol.gif

So with Carlos' (CAP510) help we began the swap this past Saturday. Fortunately he still had a spare transfer case from when we swapped his gears a couple of years ago.
2670236090104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

While cleaning it up as best we could (a shop vac and heavy brush are great for doing this) we also found a plug separating the housings had a strange non-uniform hole it in.
2556789390104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

After carefully reviewing the pictures I took of Carlos' swap, we were able to determine his also had this same opening so I suspect although not a uniform/straight cut it is this way from the factory.

We then proceeded to disassemble the necessary parts. Below I'm taking pics of the servo's/position senders for the 4WD system so I can put them back properly after the install. You can also see that I've already taken the end cap off so the shifter shaft/linkage can be pushed out to allow the shift forks to be removed so we can remove the gears.
2486159200104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Below I've pushed out the cotter pin that holds the shift fork in place, removed the 4 position senders and pushed the shift rod out the back of the transfer case so I could remove the shift fork so that the gears on the other side can be removed.
2687178350104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

(Note: The 2 senders that are farthest away in the pic the left side did not need to be removed. We forgot and removed them anyway.)

Below you can see the 1 shift linkage and the rod for the 2nd shift linkage pushed to the left into the housing so that the shift linkage that was attached to it could be removed. You can also see the large opening just above the gearset that you'll need to grind down so that the new gears will clear it.
2955365360104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Below is another view of the area from the Transmission side point of view with the hole that needs to be ground down at the 12 O'Clock position to the gear. Also notice the Dremel Buffing Wheel and Carlos' spare radio antenna that we inserted into that hole to prevent aluminum shavings from falling into the back gear compartment. The plan was that the Antenna would allow us to pull the buffing wheel back out. We just had to be careful while grinding the opening down that we didn't accidentally cut the antenna.

Now all those bearings will also need to be taped up to prevent aluminum shavings from entering.
2369626140104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Another pic below of the holes & bearings now taped up and the shop vac in place prevent contamination from the aluminum shavings.
2464722990104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

And below the are the results from the 1st cut.
shiner.gif
We used a 1/16" thick cutting wheel on a 4" die grinder.
2977323170104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Below you can see we've now switched to the Dremel with a standard cutting wheel. Some of you may not realize this but aluminum can easily be cut with standard wood working tools which for this mod is a really good thing.
cyclops.gif

2172953580104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Actually that cutting wheel is also good for cutting steel as you can see in the antenna below.
2886685460104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Since we now only needed to refine the bottom half of the hole, we switched to using baling wire instead of that antenna.
2650138930104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

And below is the finished result showing the clearance with the new larger gear in place.
2431240590104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Stay tuned for part II (coming to your screen in June
lol.gif
) when I transfer the OE bearings from the original gears to the replacement gears and install them into the housing.
2624667740104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The stock gear ratio is 2:1 for the low range and 1:1 for the high range.
The ones I got are 3.15:1 for the low range and still 1:1 for the high range.

Yes, I got them directly from Marks4WD in Australia when I was there in April. As I understand it, they are the last set they had in stock but were in the process of cutting a host of new gears however the latest development on this (via a group buy on 4x4wire) is that they have stopped offering the 3.15:1 gears and are now only offering 2.7:1 gears which means you won't have to modify your transfer case. As I understand it, too many people were complaining about having to mod their transfercase housing in order to fit the gears and I suspect he wasn't taking as many orders because of it.:rolleyes:

The new 2.7:1 ratio means you'll only get a 35% gear reduction versus the 50% reduction of the 3.15:1 gears. Really sucks IMHO but it's probably the right business decision.

Alternatively there are folks on there (4x4wire) who are researching dual transfer case setups so this decision by Mark may also accellerate those efforts.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Woo hoo!! Finally got the gears fully into the transfer case this past Saturday!

The one gear in the picture goes right in without issues. Simply drop it in and screw down the retaining plate.
2943003160104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

I had to put on the lock ring after I got the gears back from my mechanic where I had him press off the original bearings & press them onto the new gears. The mechanic said he asked the bearing supplier he uses if replacement bearings were available. They told him they could only find a source for 2 of the 3 bearings. That said, be very careful when transferring them to the new gears.

Here we're installing the lock ring onto the gear using a large channel lock wrench.
GearInstall_11.jpg

Do not try to install the other two gears separately. They will be misaligned and won't go in if you do.
GearInstall_12.jpg
GearInstall_13.jpg

Installed together they slide in like a hot knife through butter.

Next you need to line up the flat spots on the the gear that's mounted to the housing cover as shown. They should be at the 5:00 and 11:00 o'clock position or it won't clear the other gears. Notice the black mark we made to make it easier to ensure they're lined up.
GearInstall_14.jpgGearInstall_15.jpg

After that it's nearly a process of bolting the casing cover down. Don't forget to use RTV (one designed for this application) to seal the housing.
GearInstall_16.jpg

Next up, swapping this transfer case for the one that's in my rig in a couple of weeks.:wings:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Get her going yet?

Oh yeah, sorry, I did get her running with the new gears in. Crawls really nice. I can almost step out and walk along side steering through the window.
drool.gif

Took a bit of doing and had some difficulty (wouldn't shift out of 4wd into 2wd) but after cycling the shifters a few times we got it go shift fine.

Only issue now is I didn't pay close attention to the gear shift position sensors so my 2WD lights (rear wheel indicators) only go on when in 4wd and my center diff lock flashes when it's not in 4WD Center Diff Lock mode.
frown.gif
It's a minor thing really and I hope to sort through that soon.
cheers.gif

Much thanks go out to Mike (Grasscat) & Carlos (cap510) who were both keys to in making it happen. Thanks guys. Owe you both a steak dinner. Also want to thank Carlos' wifey for always feeding me tasty food when I'm over. (after payday
smile.gif
)

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Cool. Make notes on the issues and how to correct them?

And for the record these gears are no longer available, right?
Not too much to go wrong really.
1) Both gears on the xcase side must go in together. You cannot install them otherwise. Put them in together and they slide in smooth as silk.
2) When you're putting the transfer case cover (w/ it's replaced gear) back on the transfer case, make sure the flat spot in the gears at the 1:00 o'clock position or it won't go in.
3) Take good pictures of the shifter position sensor wiring including which wires on the chassis go to which sensors on the transfer case. If you swap transfer cases, also take good notes on which sensors go into which holes.
4) Be careful when removing/installing the sensors because with the age, the wires are very brittle.

That's about it.

Currently the 3.15's are no longer available but there are a number of group buys for them (one completed, one in progress). The most advanced on this are for Nissan Titan owners. Apparently it uses the same Aisin Transfer Case. This one is already closed out however there is another group buy in progress on 4x4wire (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1257654&an=0&page=0#Post1257654)

GrassCat

Adventurer
When's payday so I can plan for the steak?

Mark the sensors wires with a piece of tape and take a picture of the case showing your marks.

Be prepared for allot of dirt falling in you eyes, ears, hair, etc. :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Was on the 1st. When are you & Carlos free? Or maybe steaks on the trail on our next trip (whenever that will be) is a better idea?

GrassCat

Adventurer
We can do a fancy schmancy steakhouse if you want.

Sounds good to me.

You can still prepare your old family marinade recipe the next time we go off road for a night or two.

Gotta quit responding for now, my post count may get out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger