Vehicle Security

SEREvince

Adventurer
From readings on other expeditions sites travelers have had thieves come up and try to steal whatever they could while the vehicle is stopped in traffic, not to mention leaving the vehicle for a hike.

So..

What special steps do you take to secure your vehicle, equipment and exterior accessories while traveling?

Vehicle
Lights
Winch
Spare tire
Hi-lift
Shovel
Spare key
Topper/Camper
Wheels

Anything else?

I am currently planning on mounting a shovel to my roof rack using Quick fist and my Hi-lift using Slee's roof rack mount. Neither of them offer any option for locking them.

Would you feel the need to cable lock them to the roof rack as a deterrent?

What about sliders, bumper, winch etc? Things that are removable with time, tools and effort?

Your tips, thoughts and current practices are appreciated!

cruiser guy

Explorer
I don't put anything outside unless there is no room inside. If it's outside I lock it down since when I stop it won't be coming off.

The winch or other things that take time and tools are less likely to walk away. Some folks will tack weld the nuts and bolts but I have not bothered.

I strongly recommend a dark tint on all legal windows. What they cannot see they don't know it's there so there's less likelyhood of it getting stolen. Most vehicles down here in Central America are heavily tinted, sometimes on ALL windows including the windsheild!!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I saw a winch get taken in broad daylight at Paragone. The guy was parked watching the rockcrawling comp. Sad thing is, the thiefs were fellow off roaders:( . I've since welded my winch nuts to the underside of the bumper and I just now realized that you could easily steal the whole bumper, winch and all:( .

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
BigAl said:
I saw a winch get taken in broad daylight at Paragone. The guy was parked watching the rockcrawling comp. Sad thing is, the thiefs were fellow off roaders:( . I've since welded my winch nuts to the underside of the bumper and I just now realized that you could easily steal the whole bumper, winch and all:( .

Dayum, that sucks. Did anyone do anything about it?

As far as people stealing stuff while im stopped in traffic, they better be quick.. cause i'll jump out the truck and beat them down and then call law enforcement. If i have room, i'll drive off with them hanging on my rack.. i dont care. Right foot down. As far as my rig being parked somewhere... everything is locked on, including all my tools are locked inside my drawers, a exception would be my sand ladders which im working on.. I could care less if they stole my shovel.. (it's $20 at home depot) and my axe i keep inside now.. cause i dont care about it getting stolen, i care about some kid getting a hold of it. Other than that.. if im worried about my winch being stolen, im worried about my whole rig being stolen. My GPS never is in the truck unless on a trip. I pull it out at night if we aren't in a remote location. The 2 meter radio is always in the truck, nobody even cares about that... and the cb too. What sucks is that one day someone will break in my rig just to find out what they are. I leave both antennas on the rig and i doubt someone would want them. My water can is locked on, my c02 is locked on and my gas cans on top are free game. I figure if they go to that trouble to take them they can have them (they were only $12). My spare wheel/tire and hi-lift are both locked on as well. Everything else takes tools to get off.

I also dont leave the rig parked in shady areas without supervision. The 80 is equipped with a factory alarm that sets off to HELLA twin horns if anyone touches it. I hate when the thing goes off on accident... but its well worth it for the one time it's going off and i hear it immediately across the street.

Last edited:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Defenders are easily broken into and I hate leaving it at the parked when kayaking or climbing. I am making some hasps right now that are similar to the ones shown in the 1st issue of Overland Journal. This will give me a little more peace of mind.

TeriAnn

Explorer
SEREvince said:
What special steps do you take to secure your vehicle, equipment and exterior accessories while traveling?

Vehicle
Lights
Winch
Spare tire
Hi-lift
Shovel
Spare key
Topper/Camper
Wheels
Anything else?

If some one wants your stuff bad enough there is not a whole lot you can do about it. Someone could just load your rig on a flat bed hauler or other tow truck & be off no matter how you immobilize it. My comments are for US and Canadian travel.

I figure I can spend all my time being paranoid about getting ripped off or just take a few precautions and enjoy life. Actually there is a goddess that watches after fools and innocents what has made me a special project.

I have locks on my fuel tank fillers, my propane tank access door, the bonnet and hi lift mount. My Mercury winch is welded to the bumper (for bumper strength reasons) but no one knows anything about old Mercury winches so a thief is more apt to look elsewhere.

When I'm not on the trail, my shovel lives at home. That's mainly to protect the wood handle from adverse weather. I have a removable handle pick. The pick head lives on the bonnet in an easy to steal location but who would want it without the handle? The handle mounts inside where it is not visible. I thought it looked too much like a club to mount outside.

The Halla 3000's? They are bolted to the underside of the roof rack and you would have to unload the roof rack to get to the other side of the bolts. If someone wants them there's not a whole lot I can do.

The roof rack is series Land Rover and Euro spec Defender specific. Probably not a high target item. The wheels fit Series, Defenders, Range Rover Classics and Disco I's. There are now wheel locks available for them but I'm not sure a set of well used steel wheels is high on anyone's list.

For the interior I rely upon keeping stuff stored out of sight, the vehicle looking empty and misdirection. An example of misdirection is that on trips I keep a cheapo disposable camera in full view and my real camera gear stored out of sight.

I recently reard an article about using electric fencing for bear protection. Since I cook inside my Land Rover I'm giving thought to a portable electric fence that can be set up around my rig. Maybe it might be an idea to wire a remote key chain type switch?

I guess mostly I feel safe because most US and Canadian Land Rover folks seem basically honest and my gear is not the newest high dollar stuff that is the current rage. It is mostly older quality stuff that is well maintained but showing use.

Given the choice, most thiefs are more likely to pass my rig by to go after the one with the NEW high dollar HID lights, new winch and shiny new gear that is not older Land Rover specific. I tend to think there is an advantage to driving minority cult old school vehicles.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I do my best to secure and hide things with the goal of keeping an honest man honest. If a theif really wants your stuff, he'll get it. Even in your driveway at home.

Loras BR

Observer
I use a special nut for my auxiliary lights.

Bought them from www.expeditionexchange.com.

It has a secret part.

Without it's more difficult to take them out. Not impossible, but the thief must really wants them out!!!

Unfortunately, to travel around South America, security really matters.

[]s

Willman

Overland Hardware makes a great hasp lock system that Scott has on his EW tacoma...Great idea for keeping people out for the most part.......They can still break your window for a quick grab:(

hasp6.jpg

http://www.overlandhardware.com/protect.html

I'm not to sure the wife is going to let me put more holes in my rig.......we shall see....

:REOutArchery02:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Glock 20 - a 10mm powerhouse. I leave used targets on the center console when I go to a movie... Well, not really... BUT It would be kind of funny to have a buddy pose for several pictures as a gun fight victim - laying on the ground, gun near his hand, fake blood showing some well placed shots. Leave those in an envelope for a thief to find. They would be so wrapped up in that they may forget why they broke in...

Really - It is a matter of energy. If you make your rig look like a tough target - good tint - nothing begging to be taken / things out of sight - visible security like the Hasps mentioned above - maybe an alarm - then the cowardly thieves will more than likely move on to easier pickings.
:gunt:

SOCALFJ said:
As far as my rig being parked somewhere... everything is locked on, including all my tools are locked inside my drawers, a exception would be my sand ladders which im working on..

just don't park at the mall.....

*zing*

:peepwall:

:D

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
If some guy is stealing my gear to feed his family, I canlive with it. I'm still going to be pissed. But if its just some moron kid taking it to be a goofball and then tossing away 100 feet down the road. Then I'm uber pissed! I use small cable locks designed for gun safety. They're usually coated so they won't mar a finish. Won't stop the determined thief, but should keep the strolling morons from pilfering.

VikingVince

Explorer
I think the hasps/locks are a good idea...especially for deterrence. I made my own by modifying trailer locks from Home Depot ($35 for hasp and lock). I just cut off the steel plate part with sawzall, leaving the round hasp, then touched it up with a grinder and painted it black. I have one on the back door of the Flippac also. They look really intimidating.
http://www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/enlfr.htm?26

I used the same type of lock (no hasp) with a bent piece of steel for a hood lock.
http://www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/enlfr.htm?22

No doubt this is a little overkill, but I also use a Denver Boot sometimes. What the hell...I have mucho $$$ in mods/gear...why not protect it? It literally only takes 30 seconds to put on. This is a pic of the boot I have...not my vehicle though.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4d/180px-Denver_boot.jpg

From personal experience, I also believe in an alarm systems as deterrent in some instances. A few years ago staying overnight in San Diego at a friends house, my truck and a 4Runner were parked outside the house. The 4Runner (without an alarm) got broken into and my rig was untouched. Thieves can see the flashing light on the dashboard knowing the alarm is on...why set off the alarm when they can break into a rig without an alarm and take their time. (although alarms won't stop a pro thief who wants to steal the vehicle)

Bottom line: deterrence is an important part of preventing theft. Whatever you can do to make it look more intimidating as well as actually being more difficult (hasps/locks/denver boot) will increase the odds of a thief moving on to an easier target.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior