Coyote Flats

cowboy4x4

Explorer
We planned for a week long adventure and coyote flats was the first three days of our adventure. Here are some photo's.

When we arrived at the top there were some scattered clouds but we thought nothing of it.
IMG_0374Medium.jpg

once we set up camp at Funnel lake a freak storm blew in and we were pelted with marble size hail for about 2-3 minutes. as quick as it blew in it was gone.
IMG_0376Medium.jpg

IMG_0375Medium.jpg

hail covered camp
IMG_0381Medium.jpg

The first fish for the trip I caught at funnel lake.
IMG_0384Medium.jpg

A short hike up a boulder hill and I was at Rocky Bottom lake.
IMG_0386Medium.jpg

IMG_0387Medium.jpg

Caught several more fish at Rocky bottom, nothing beats having fresh fish for dinner.
IMG_0392Medium.jpg

The next two are from Funnel lake.
IMG_0394Medium.jpg

IMG_0399Medium.jpg

There is a ton of things to do and see while your up there.
IMG_0400Medium.jpg

Our camp set up at funnel lake
IMG_0408Medium.jpg

Here is our rig in transit.
IMG_0415Medium.jpg

IMG_0419Medium.jpg

When I snapped this photo I didnt even see Dixie (Dave and Yosh's dog) under the FJ just chillin in the shade.
IMG_0421Medium.jpg

The wife and I (Chris) on our way out for the rest of our trip.
IMG_0417Medium.jpg

We were up there with several people in our group, But there was a large group at funnel when we got there and sporadic people showing up through out the weekend. We had a pot luck dinner on sat night.... It was a great trip and great company.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Great location and looks like a fun trip. High elevation can mean unusual weather anytime.

Doug

EMrider

Explorer
Thanks for the report and pics. Always makes me want to get up there asap. Hopefully in a week or two...........
R

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
You're the professional fisherman. My buddies and I have never caught any fish at Funnel Lake.

We are heading up there in a couple of weeks. Planning on camping at Baker Creek. I understand there are no charcoal or open fires and you need a fire permit for your camp stove. Did you find this to be true?

Great pictures and looks like you had a lot of fun.

larryt

Observer

cowboy4x4

Explorer
never heard of it, fire pits/rings were going, stoves were going. Saw a good amount of people up there for being pretty remote, but never saw any rangers. A permit for a stove ? really.... more BS from our govt. these guys need to give us a break on all these stupid things they think up..... "but of course if it were true " then it must not have been us "that broke the rule" because I always drink the koolaid....:1888fbbd:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior