Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Bill, how many miles do you have on them and how much wear have you had so far? My '04 non-Power Wagon 2500 Hemi is probably pretty close in weight to your truck. If 20k is all the farther you can drive on them then I'm looking at a 16-18 month replacement schedule and I'd really like to get at least 2 years out of them. My Cooper MTs are at about 17k in the last 16 months are are only about half worn which fits my rotation perfectly.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Spresso and Bill,

My Hundy tips the scale at about 7800lbs loaded. Based on what I'm hearing from you two, the ATIIs just don't like that sort of weight.

Bottom line, would you buy them again?

Thanks, fellas.

wc
I'm probably at that weight during the week with just me in the truck, Wes.
Add that it's a Hemi with 4.56 gears and over 400 ft #s torque on twisty twisty backroads and almost no highway. On weekends it's got a bigger load and a trailer with dirt and gravel under the tires.
When I pull away from a light or stopsign, it sounds like velcro pulling apart.

I think I might run them again though. They really were nice in the snow and good enough in mud ---- and fuel economy was better than using the STTs in a 295/70-17.
But I have to see how they prorate the mileage shortfall.

Bill, how many miles do you have on them and how much wear have you had so far? My '04 non-Power Wagon 2500 Hemi is probably pretty close in weight to your truck. If 20k is all the farther you can drive on them then I'm looking at a 16-18 month replacement schedule and I'd really like to get at least 2 years out of them. My Cooper MTs are at about 17k in the last 16 months are are only about half worn which fits my rotation perfectly.
I'll measure the tread and check the mileage later. I was at 9/32 when I rotated at 15K miles 2 weeks ago though.

D

Deleted member 13060

10K on the ATII's that were put on my FJ last winter... LT 265/70R17 10 ply.
Approx 1.5mm wear in that time w/o rotating the tires.
You can still see the little ridge around each tread block.
Rotated the spare in last Monday w/o re-balancing the tires.
Still smooth and quiet.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

I'll measure the tread and check the mileage later. I was at 9/32 when I rotated at 15K miles 2 weeks ago though.
Forgot to post: 7/32s left and a little shy of 18,000 miles (just got back from a 9 day roadtrip).
They started with 17/32 and appear to be wearing faster as they get down.
So that means I'll need new tires by the end of October.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Thats pretty disappointing, I had pretty high hopes for these tires. Its kind of a turn off if they wear that fast. I wish the M55s came in taller sizes for 17 inch wheels. My Coopers are probably going to need replaced by spring or early summer so I'm starting to do my research.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd rather have them wear fast and stick to the road like Velco than wear slowly and hydroplane...

Of course I'd rather they lasted a long time and worked well on every possible road surface and every weather condition. And that we'd all stop aging, there was world peace, no hunger, and World War Z didn't suck so much.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Maybe if they stay true to their warranty for you I'll reconsider giving them a try.
I'm calling Discount Tire today to see what the prorated amount will be. I'm at 6/32" and 20,631 miles. Just shy of one year.
I usually replace at 5/32".

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Toyo wants us to run them to 3/32s".

New Open Country ATIIs will not have the treadlife warranty but they're honoring the ones that were sold with the warranty.

Discount Tire said to come on by and "we'll see what we can do". They agree with me that 3/32" is too shallow for an offroad-oriented tire.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ interesting.

Toyo website still states the treadlife guarantee though...

Attachments

• Open Country A:T II | Toyo Tire Treadlife Warranty 11-5-13.jpg
    Open Country A:T II | Toyo Tire Treadlife Warranty 11-5-13.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 37

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I saw that too ---- this is what the DT guy told me after talking with his distributor.
From my experience in other fields, distributors don't always know. And sometimes they choose not to know. And sometimes they lie...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I saw that too ---- this is what the DT guy told me after talking with his distributor.
From my experience in other fields, distributors don't always know. And sometimes they choose not to know. And sometimes they lie...
Toyo is still offering the warranty; the distributor got it wrong.

And both Toyo and DT are good to their word. New tires on Wednesday with a healthy/fair pro-rate. :smiley_drive:

Jet-Unit

I am suppose to order the Toyo open country AT2 very soon. I'm just waiting for my 6" lift kit for my Chevrolet Express AWD. About the Toyo Tire, I read a lot of comment about them but the only thing is I'm worry about the noise. This is my business truck and I do a lot of road and I dont want something to Noisy. I have the other choice with the General Grabber AT2 but I dont really like the look of the tire but they have the mountain with the snow flake on it and in Québec Canada, they ask this for the winter. This year, they accept the LT tire but not next year. When you receive your tire, let me know how you like them on the road.

Thanks
Mike

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had the Grabber AT2 and they sucked balz. They were bad in the rain, bad in the mud, just bad.

The Toyo is very quiet for an aggressive AT.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
My Toyo AT2 (285/75R18; 1999 Toyota 100-Series Land Cruiser) are not noisy...in fact they are very quiet especially given the amount of void they contain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears