The Baja Bus 1994 FZJ80 Build

krazytoy

Adventurer
Let me begin by introducing myself. My name is Jason and I live in Idaho Falls, ID. I have a lovely wife and two young children. I have been off-roading my entire life, my first vehicle was a 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser and have never being without a 4x4 in my life. As a child I spent my first night in a tent at 6 months old and have never looked back. My family used to camp almost every weekend in good weather and in bad, whether it be the lake or as most of you call it “over landing”; we always just knew it as camping and spending quality time together as a family.

I have always worked on vehicles and learned to fabricate while living in Arizona. In about 2007 I invested in a local off road fabrication company called CBI Off-Road Fab. While at CBI I had the opportunity to build many vehicles and learn about the business. When the economy tanked I lost my main source of income as a project manager for a large commercial contractor. I had no choice but to sell the business back to my partner as I was going to have to travel to support my family. While it broke my heart to give up the business I was pretty tired of working on everyone else's junk and neglecting my own.
Like I said, I have always been into off-roading and started my professional career in 1999 competing in the first ever rock crawling championship in Las Cruses New Mexico. We competed in rock crawling for many years and eventually moved on to desert racing. Our desert racing career had many good times, but as you can imagine desert racing is a very rich man's sport and as sponsors dried up, so did our race team.

I have built a tube buggy from the ground up, RMP&O's Patrol, A 4 door Tacoma, and everything in between. So, now being a father I have gone back to my roots, a 1994 Land Cruiser. I picked it up in Sacramento California; I had been looking for a few months and finally came across this one. It was posted on a Thursday night; I called the gentleman Friday morning and he sent me 80+ pictures of the Cruiser. We settled on a price and I bought a plane ticket to fly out Saturday morning. I arrived in Sacramento, drove the Cruiser, paid the man and I was the new Owner. I stopped at the gas station for fuel and headed north on the 750 mile drive home. I stopped at moon rocks for the night, pulled out my sleeping bag that I had smuggled on the plane and crashed out. I continued on the next day arriving back in Idaho Falls with the Baja Buses first road trip under her belt.

So, why the Baja Bus? Well, I grew up in Southern Arizona and LOVE the desert. I have spent some time on the main land side of Mexico and absolutely love it! I always wanted to run the Baja 1000 while desert racing, I love to fish, love to wheel, love to camp, love to explore so why not Baja? Actually exploring Baja has been on my bucket list since I can remember and the time is now! The trip is scheduled for February of 2014, and I have recruited a group of friends to enjoy the experience with. Hopefully this will not be the last trip down as I would like to return for many years to come. Anyway, I am going to document the build here and try to explain everything in as much detail as I can.

When I picked up the Baja Bus it already had an OME 2.5” lift on it and 305/75 KM2's. My plan is to install a 4 Crawler 1.25” body lift so I can re-route the exhaust from under the passenger side door. I will be going to a 35” tall tire and installing 5.29 gears. It is also going to my good friends at CBI Off-Road for a front bumper with 10k winch, sliders, rear bumper with all the goodies and one of their new proto type roof racks. After that I plan to build a shelving system and add the quintessential fridge. So stay tuned as I do my best to prepare this Cruiser for the Journey!

Let me start with a few shots of some of my past vehicles and past customer projects.

greenxj.jpg

Rock Crawling Comp in 1999 Farminton, NM

dsc00409.jpg

dsc00404.jpg

My Truggy

Copy20of20DSC00849.jpg

Copy20of20DSC00847.jpg

Moab-8.jpg

My Buggy from 06' & 07'

DSCF3189.jpg

DSCF3182.jpg

59.jpg

Custom 4 Door Tacoma for a Customer. I always really liked this truck and offered to buy it last year but was shot down! Can't blame him...

PICT0014.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

azrun081.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

And of course RMP&O's Patrol. I did alot of work to this rig, from the suspension to the interior. It was a fun build and a ton of work. Thanks Ian!

krazytoy

Adventurer
I will be starting on the body lift this weekend, then off to get the exhaust done early next week. It will then be going to CBI on the 17th of September for the bumpers and all the goodies. Here are a few pictures of the Baja Bus as it site right now. It has factory lockers, center diff switch and 7 pin mod done. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

19f36539.jpg

4c411684-1.jpg

6d0c844b.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

Why I bought the Baja Bus, to enjoy the outdoors with my family.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Congrats! Looking forward to the build. I want to get down to Baja myself at some point. I have two little ones on the way and I want them to have all the same experiences.

krazytoy

Adventurer
I have two little ones on the way and I want them to have all the same experiences.
Yep, the main reason for switching gears and getting away from the extreme end of it for me. My son will be six in 2014 and I think that's a good age to get his feet wet. :sombrero:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Jason, sounds like you have a lot of great experience! I am a little envious to say the least, however I wouldnt change my life for anything. Its awesome to see another great 80 on the forum. It sounds like you have some great plans for the cruiser. The only thing I can add is that these vehicles seem to swollow up tires. I have 35"s on my rig and it looks like they came on it from the factory. With a 2.5" and a body lift, I bet you can clear 37"s with just a bump stop extension. Especially with a 5.29 gear ratio and 37"s I think you will be very happy.

On a side note, im From Salt Lake and spent a lot of winters and somers caping up near Lava Hotsprings, and my Wifes family is from Idaho. Beautiful country out there.

Jon

brentbba

Explorer
I think your son likes the purchase! Welcome back to the addiction. Not to steal the thunder from this great forum, but you'll find everything Landcruiser on IH8MUD.

krazytoy

Adventurer
This is going to be a good build! Yet another 80 to lust after...

Thanks Beau, Looking forward to putting together this rig as well. We definetly have to meet up one of these days and talk shop over a few cold ones.

With a 2.5" and a body lift, I bet you can clear 37"s with just a bump stop extension. Especially with a 5.29 gear ratio and 37"s I think you will be very happy.

I agree, these Cruisers suck up the tires great! I am not sure if I will go 35's or 37's yet. My plan is to get it built with most of the heavy stuff and start playing with the suspension. I have had a number of vehicles with 5.29 gearing and one thing that I have learned after building thousands of diffs is that everyone likes something different. I figure with all the weight I am throwing at this already gutless rig it's going to need all the help it can get. :smiley_drive:

I think your son likes the purchase! Welcome back to the addiction. Not to steal the thunder from this great forum, but you'll find everything Landcruiser on IH8MUD.

I have spent many, many hours on Mud... It's a gret resource for all things Cruiser. I chose to do my build thread here because I like the attitude on this forum and I am always wanting to meet people with thew same interests in mind. People here seem to actually like to get out to different trails and not the same stuff every weekend. That and the wealth of knowledge of all the different areas in this great country and our neighbors is what has drawn me to this forum.

Looks good and I love that you want to be outdoors with the family. I can appreciate that. I'm looking forward to seeing this build thread, and you and the family out having fun!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Awesome Jason!!

I think that is the most I have ever seen you type! :p

A big change for you in the last year when it comes to trucks. This year alone, 4-Runner to mini-truck (both pretty capable in the rocks) to now the big heavy TLC. I get it though and I am on the same path. I hope I can make that trip with you in 2014 and I hope I can go in my new truck! :)

krazytoy

Adventurer
I love it when parts start to show up, It's like Christmas time!

IMAG0230-1.jpg

This is the 4-Crawler 1.25" body lift. It's going on this weekend. I had this in about two days from when I ordered it. Great service, just wish I could have just called and ordered it. Guess I am just a little old school that way.

IMAG0229-1.jpg

Here are all the new parts for the exhaust. It's all 2.5", Magna Flow Hi Flow Cat, Magna Flow Stainless Muffler and a 2.5" flex pipe. For being one of the most capable off road vehicles ever made Toyota sure did screw up the exhaust! I'll get some pictures this weekend and next week of the new system.

blakeape

Adventurer
Looks like a sweet project you've got going here! I used to live in Jackson and went wheeling with the "Snake River Offroaders" or something like that back in the late 90's in my Tacoma which was only on 32's back then. It's now on 42's and 1 tons and I'm always looking for new places to check out. I live up in NW MT now but get down that way a few times a year and its only about 7hrs to Idaho Falls. Are there some good wheeling trails around there? Maybe I should give CBI a call I've always wanted to check the shop out, I love their products.
On with your build sir looks like it will be a great one. I am hoping to fly down to Cabo this Thanksgiving and hang with a friend in Todos Santos for a week or so, I'd love to drive down in a year or 2!

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
you seem to know what you're talking about and what you're looking for. Regarding the gearing, some info from my 93 FZJ80- I'm running 315 75 16 BFG AT's (around 34.5") and 4.88 gears. My speedo is off by 10% (it says 70, but I'm going 63 by GPS). At 72mph (80 by speedo), I'm running over 3,000 rpm. I geared mine at 4.88 to go with 37" military tires down the road, and talking to someone with them, their speedometer is dead on at highway speeds. Maybe none of this matters based on your build. I look forward to seeing it come along.

Box Rocket

Good looking start to the truck. My parents are in Idaho Falls so I'm up there quite a bit, and I've got a brother in Rigby. I'll keep my eyes open for you. Watch for my Gold Tacoma, or you might get a wave from weirdo in a Champagne GMC Yukon XL with Utah plates. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior