Sleeping in the back of a JK

Rynomar

Observer
It also makes for a good bit of storage under the deck. The deck is hinged in the middle, so I can flip it back if I need to use the back seat too.Storage 005.jpgStorage Light.JPGStorage 003.jpg

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Get one of those double bed tent cots and lash it to the roof with tie down straps. Instant RTT.

s7_516987_999_02.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I built up the rear of my JKU with some 2x4's and mdf, then ran a piece over the back seat as well. It has given me a nice flat surface for storage, room for the dog to roam around, and a pretty comfortable platform for sleeping. I am 6'0" and fit just fine with the front seats moved forward and something stuffed in the gap between the front seat and the back seat. It would be cozy with two people, but not a problem as long as you are friendly :)

That is sweet.

Looking at your diagram, it looks like one piece is 28.25 inches and the other 31.75 long - for a total of 60 inches, or 5 feet.

How can you sleep on that at 6 feet tall?

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Do the JK seats flip forward? I thought I remembered something about the 2011 or 2012 2-door getting a change?

Maybe those seat brackets could be installed in the 4-door to make some more room?

Rynomar

Observer
The platform is 5 feet to accommodate for the headrests on the back seats, which flip up when the seat is folded down. To get 6 feet of space, you have to scoot the front seats all the way forward and then the headrests will rotate into the horizontal position. I usually stuff some shoes and clothing in the gap to flatten the area out for my feet. If you removed the headrests, you could probably add another 6" to the platform, but the rear of the console will get in your way too. It is a tight fit, but it works and is pretty comfortable. I am 6'0" and can stretch out, but if I was much taller, I don't know if I could do it.

Maine07jk

Adventurer
The platform is 5 feet to accommodate for the headrests on the back seats, which flip up when the seat is folded down. To get 6 feet of space, you have to scoot the front seats all the way forward and then the headrests will rotate into the horizontal position. I usually stuff some shoes and clothing in the gap to flatten the area out for my feet. If you removed the headrests, you could probably add another 6" to the platform, but the rear of the console will get in your way too. It is a tight fit, but it works and is pretty comfortable. I am 6'0" and can stretch out, but if I was much taller, I don't know if I could do it.

I took my headrests off!!!!!!:)

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: When I need to sleep inside my JKUR (seldom) I use my TruckBenz queen size airmattress and it allows for all the crooks/crannies and fenderwells-

I slde both the front seats forward and have enough room for my wife and I-

Had to doit one night when we gotta bear sighting alert, on the CB, just slid the mattress outta the "hatch tent' and (letta little airout), putit right in the jeep-

Didn't sleep that good because of noises, not lack of comfort !!--doesn't happen to often !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Maybe those seat brackets could be installed in the 4-door to make some more room?

That's my plan exactly. Have the front passenger seat flip forward, and some kind of little shelf that folds "up" to fill in the newly created space.
The center console will be in the way, but as long as only one person is over 6", I think it will work well enough for times when forced to sleep inside (rather than tent or roof tent)

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What if the sleeping platform was raised to just clear the top of the center console?

The top of the rear seat if you had it in place would probably lead to some wasted space, but I would think that the added length ( if the front seats folded forward ) would be well worth it.

This is basically what I have envisioned for my 2-door long wheelbase JK project that I have been dreaming/designing lately. My overall goal is to have inside sleeping for two people somewhat comfortably without having to move gear around. Basically everything that isn't light weight sleeping gear goes UNDER the sleeping platform. Ideally it would be REALLY nice if the sleeping platform could be set up from inside the vehicle without having to get out in the cold weather. I think its possible with a little pre-planning and a bit of an inside the car dance to get into the right position.

The kicker is that I would like to have a little bit more flexibility for other day to day missions...

-Be able to ditch everything in the rear area in a few minutes to allow for large cargo transportation.
-Be able to have an emergency rear seat arrangement, something like a fabric helicopter seat perhaps for two people if needed.
-Be able to shift the daily cargo forward on a rail, roller, or slide arrangement to allow simple shopping storage through the rear door.
-Modular storage system boxes that would be very easy to add and subtract from the cargo space.....every day emergency box, camping box, long distance travel box, etc.

Ah to dream....

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
A standard full size air mattress fits just fine. No special modifications. Fold down the rear seats, slide the front ones forward, and inflate with the doors/tailgate shut.

Me, the wife, and one small pooch fit fine:
408750_533247182995_2014061481_n.jpg

For solo overland, I simply use a Tent Cot:
538810_547729744825_1554061050_n.jpg

Rynomar

Observer
Here is a picture of the front seat moved all the way forward and tilted as far as it will go. The back of the seat ends up pretty close to vertical and there is probably about 8" between the seat and the steering wheel and 6" between the lower portion of the seat and the dash.Front Seat.JPG

Building a deck to go over the center console would give you a lot more space and probably be high enough to go over the rear fender wells too. That would also make it much more comfortable to sleep with your feet by the tailgate, which would give you a lot more shoulder and head room if you have the sub in the back of the Jeep. Still, that is going to eat up a lot of storage space and really raise the center of gravity of stuff stored on top of it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Anyone have pics of the fold forward seat mounts from the 2door JK?

Still, that is going to eat up a lot of storage space and really raise the center of gravity of stuff stored on top of it.

So build the platform out of light material and don't store stuff on top of it....:)

The only thing that would need to be on top of it would be the sleeping pad and bedding in my opinion. The sleeping platform could be a honeycomb composite material to keep weight down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman