MetalCloak?

JFarris

Wanderer
I'm really torn on which suspension to go with. I was originally set on AEV, but then I started thinking about OME. Now I've come across MetalCloak. Does anyone have any experience with their kits? Their shocks look insane. If you haven't seen them check them out.

I would say my Jeep is 75% Overland/25% rocks. Rocks only being that I live 2 hrs from the Dusy/Ershim, Swamp Lakes, Bald Mountain and many other great trails here on the west side of the Sierras.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Those shocks look interesting for sure.

I'm always a skeptic about new ideas, prefer not to be the R&D Dept for them. If the shock concept was valid you'd see them in desert racing. Biggest issue I'd guess at would be overheating. Four pistons rejecting heat to that little body seems a recipe for fade. If you need that much travel get coil overs and be done with it!

Envious of your location. I've run the Dusy three times, and most of the other lesser trails at least once. It's been a few years since I've been up that way, beautiful part of the country.

IMO a mild quality lift, enough to get you on 35's and selectable lockers (auto lockers are a terror on snow/ice/slick roads) will get you through most any trail up there.

JFarris

Wanderer
I hadn't thought about the fading part. Glad you brought that up. I usually take a few trips to the desert every year and tend to drive pretty fast at times. I've probably seen you around. I raced a HMS Class 1 car in 08 & 09'. I really miss racing.

I have been looking pretty hard at the EVO kit also...

I was just up at Courtright Res. camping at the Voyager Rock CG. Trail is super dusty. Needs some dust control from mother nature .

Matsonian

If the shock concept was valid you'd see them in desert racing. Biggest issue I'd guess at would be overheating. Four pistons rejecting heat to that little body seems a recipe for fade.

Matson from Metalcloak here. [Admin, PM me about becoming a vendor, thanks!] I'm new to this portal, but thanks to the OP for the question.

I just wanted to address the heat issue. Our shocks actually have MORE heat dissipation because of the 6 individual aluminum cylinders and LESS heat generation because each shaft is traveling half the distance in the same amount of time of a typical shock. During Death Valley testing, after running for two hours straight at 70 MPH, you could still put your hands on our shocks. The other shocks on our friends rigs couldn't be touched without burning yourself.

BTW, we've had lots of requests for desert racing, however we did not build these to be racing shocks, so we've declined the requests.

Septu

Explorer
Hi Matson. Question for you. I've watched the video on your site regarding the Duroflex joints. How much maintence is needed for those joints, and how do they handle cold (-45c)?

Matsonian

Hi Matson. Question for you. I've watched the video on your site regarding the Duroflex joints. How much maintence is needed for those joints, and how do they handle cold (-45c)?

The Duroflex Joints are very low maintenance. For the most part, you install them with the grease we provide, and leave them alone. Depending on the kinds of activity you are involved in, when you do a regular review of your rig, you should look at the joints as well.

As for temperature, we have some customers running them in cold conditions up in Alaska and Canada, but we have yet to put out an official opinion on their ability to handle extreme cold conditions. I can say this, chances are they will perform no better or no worse then the typical rubber components you find on your vehicle. It is a natural, 85 durometer, rubber, how it does in extreme conditions is yet to be determined.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I'm really torn on which suspension to go with. I was originally set on AEV, but then I started thinking about OME. Now I've come across MetalCloak. Does anyone have any experience with their kits? Their shocks look insane. If you haven't seen them check them out.

I would say my Jeep is 75% Overland/25% rocks. Rocks only being that I live 2 hrs from the Dusy/Ershim, Swamp Lakes, Bald Mountain and many other great trails here on the west side of the Sierras.

AEV is the ONLY aftermarket company with the factory data on chassis vibration frequency. I've owned high end Tacoma suspensions, and the budget AEV 2.5 XT lift on our '12 JKUR is absolutely amazing in it's tuning - it's on par with ICON and Sway-A-Way as far as proper dampening over washboard at speed. The higher end AEV kits are better yet.

DaveChapters

Matson from Metalcloak here. [Admin, PM me about becoming a vendor, thanks!] I'm new to this car Parts Wholesale, but thanks to the OP for the question.

I just wanted to address the heat issue. Our shocks actually have MORE heat dissipation because of the 6 individual aluminum cylinders and LESS heat generation because each shaft is traveling half the distance in the same amount of time of a typical shock. During Death Valley testing, after running for two hours straight at 70 MPH, you could still put your hands on our shocks. The other shocks on our friends rigs couldn't be touched without burning yourself.

BTW, we've had lots of requests for desert racing, however we did not build these to be racing shocks, so we've declined the requests.

There goes my chance of getting some nice racing shocks. Who would you recommend?

just eric

Adventurer
I don't run the Metalcloak lift (yet???) but I can tell you that Matson and the other folks at Metalcloak appear to have awesome customer service and are willing to take all the time you need to answer your questions. Check out the "Metalcloak suspension" thread at jkowners to see what I mean. It has so much tech it made my head spin.

Matson, glad to see you made it to Expedition Portal! I would love to represent your products up here in sunny :ylsmoke: Seattle.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
I don't run the Metalcloak lift (yet???) but I can tell you that Matson and the other folks at Metalcloak appear to have awesome customer service and are willing to take all the time you need to answer your questions. Check out the "Metalcloak suspension" thread at jkowners to see what I mean. It has so much tech it made my head spin.

Matson, glad to see you made it to Expedition Portal! I would love to represent your products up here in sunny :ylsmoke: Seattle.

You just had to point out that thread with over 500 posts... I've been reading it for the last 2 hours... so much for the house work.

Cloaked Willys

How many of you guys made it through the thread? It's a good read and a lot of info on suspension in general. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
How many of you guys made it through the thread? It's a good read and a lot of info on suspension in general. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Honestly, only the first 200-300 posts. Learned a lot of new info. But MC is at the top of my list for a lift when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a lift.

just eric

Adventurer
And it sounds like MC may be working on some Overland geared parts... Well I can hope can't I?

From a recent MC email update -

"NEW JK PRODUCTS ON THE HORIZON...
The engineering department here at Metalcloak is hush-hush, but there are rumors abound about a new line of products for the JK.
What are they? Let's just say they will have a little different focus then our Rock-Biting products have had.
We've had consistant requests for this new line and, hopefully, it doesn't disappoint. Keep an eye out for the announcement!"

Septu

Explorer
Perfect. Can put my gift Cert I recently won to good use a little sooner than waiting till I'm ready for my lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online