2012 Palomino Bronco Review

Spencinator

Adventurer
I have been doing research on pop tops in my off time for about 6 months now. Its been mostly research online but I recently looked at a 2012 Palomino Bronco for my Dodge Diesel. I really like the real lite series but the only available model to look at was the bronco. I looked at a long bed model with the bathroom, can't recall the model number though because I was just excited to get in and look around. As I'm sure many have seen these campers are pretty reasonably priced for a new model. Ok lets start.

Ill start with the good first.

Outside- From first glance 10 feet away it looks great. Clean, modern look and well built( we'll get to that in a bit). Upon inspection of the outside the canvas of the top looks sturdy and well built. The camper sides felt durable and the roof looked well built. That's about it on the outside.

Inside- I liked the modern look of the floor and counter tops(Imitation granite). At first glance everything looks nice with a fresh look.

Now for the bad, very disappointing....

Outside- Camper trim was terrible, not one straight screw and poorly attached. Some of the accessory door locks didn't work. The plumbing/wiring underneath was poorly routed/attached and no loom used.

Inside- This part was pretty horrific and I'm not sure how this camper even passed quality inspection, actually there was no quality inspection. I couldn't find one straight screw installed. Not in the wall, not in the cabinets, no where.... The latches for the cabinet doors couldn't even be installed straight. The trim for the counter tops were pealing off. Some of the cabinet doors were loose in the latch when closed. Some closed tight and some opened with a slight pinky pull. The roofing material seemed to be already sagging. Outlets weren't installed anywhere near straight or level. In the bathroom the silicone wasnt tooled....Like at all. It looked like silicone slugs all over. The bathroom door was at least a quarter of an inch loose. The shower curtain was hanging from the roof from about 2 of the 10 screws. The wiring for the roof behind the curtain wasn't loomed, poorly routed, poorly attached and wires were connected with screw type butt connectors, not crimp even. Wires that were routed to the outside for lighting didn't have grommets through the holes. Wiring that passed through the cabinets were loomed however(inconsistent wiring??) but they failed to cut the loom to the correct sizes. Strut for the bed was bad and the bed was supported by maybe 1/8th in wood. The sink faucet was loose, along with its handles. The shades for the window by the sink didn't roll up. The top half of the main door was....just absurd. Poor mounting, poorly installed and already worn out. There's more but I think you get the idea.

I was INCREDIBLY disappointed. I was expecting cheaper materials being used to create that lower price but I would truly rate this camper a 2 out of 10. Build quality a 0 out of 10. Seriously, its not that hard to get a screw straight. I really hope this was just this one camper that was this bad. I was really excited to be able to afford a brand new camper but I would say it would take around $2000 in materials, and 80 hours to get this camper to look decent and not fall apart. It fell apart from sitting, I can't imagine it even traveling anywhere.

If anyone else has a Palomino or Forest River product please chime in and tell me not all these are of this quality. I still can't believe something like this left the factory. The asking price was $18k+. I will now be looking for used models of higher, decent quality. Wow.

Spencinator

Adventurer
Thanks for the post, some good info in there. I still think its funny that people say "You get what you pay for." This camper was priced just above $18,000. I can't believe they actually sell a product like that for that kind of money.

fishingchef

My wife and I just purchased our 1st camper, a 2010 real lite(650 short box), very lightly used. We purchased it in October and have only camped in it once thus far. It camped and traveled well, and thus far construction seems to be solid and well put together.
We would have liked to buy a FWC, and planned on buying a shell model. After doing the math and looking at a few of the "cheaper" manfacturers we decided we were willing to try a "finished" fully, equipted unit that was within our budget.

Living in MN it was just more realistic and practical to buy one of these campers.

I added super springs to my 02 Tundra and it handles MUCH better than I would have ever imagined, doesn't feel nearly as heavy as I expected. We do not do any heavy off roading, this camper is simply a cold weather upgrade from topper shell and tent camping we do on our many fishing trips.

I believe there are quality, palaminos, real lites, etc out there, it is just not realistic to compare to that of a FWC as they are two oentirely different animals, I think with proper care and use a person can get long use out of one of these campers. We looked at an older model from 1997, that was clean as a whistle and still solid and sturdy.

Jakey

I recently purchased a used 2001 9.5 Ft. Real Lite TC, I was holding out for something a bit more off road friendly but decided to bite the bullet at a low cost that allows some wiggle room to save money for something better. It's in decent condition, has a few flaws that can be resolved with minor investment of time and money. I plan to use it for awhile and let the low points and high points show themselves to decide on what I'd prefer in a future camper.

When the time comes I plan to spend the money necessary to purchase or build something a bit more sturdily built.
The downside of living in the East near the Megalopolis... FWC's, Hallmarks and such aren't realistic for consideration due to lack of availability unless travel is involved. I don't recall ever seeing a FWC in person,[maybe while I have been out west] and the only Alaskan camper I've come across was at a Junkyard about 15 years ago.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My sister bought a near-new Palomino last summer, which I looked at, and what you described is about standard I would think.
You can live with it, and fix it, as many people do, and you may be okay.

In her case, she sold it back after 2 months.

Spencinator

Adventurer
Some good comments here. I have been working on high end vehicles for the past 7 years now. Detail is most of my work so I can't stand it when things aren't built to 100% of the companies ability. In my opinion, $18,000 is not cheap for a camper. I would value the camper I looked at at about $5,000 considering materials and appliances. If someone cant put a screw in straight, then they are probably in the wrong business. I cant imagine how the structure of the camper looks....Yikes! From what I see, it looks like the newer Palomino models are built worse then the older ones. I guess change of ownership probably has a hand in it. I have started looking at slightly older used models and am finding models like northstar and hallmark in my price range. Buying an older camper in good condition and upgrading to my liking will be better then buying a new palomino and rebuilding the camper. I just had to share my experience looking over this model of camper.

Stanbiker

I have a 2008 Bronco. Your review seems accurate compared to mine. I was new to truck campers, and should have traveled to the lower 48 to look at other models. Aside from screws that randomly break and the miserable excuse of a door, it has served ok. (That is in no way a recommendation!)

450 DUDE

Adventurer
Before I purchased a Northstar I looked at a 2-3 year old Bronco.
No offense but the thing was no where near acceptable for me and my use.
The icing on the cake is when I looked at the roof!!! It was con-caved pretty bad YIKES!

I walked away....

Ken

wannaby

Adventurer
All depends on whats available near where you live.And if you whant to spend your time searching for the next couple years instead of camping.I bit the bullet and bought an older palameno where I live....it has its faults like crappy canvas corners ..., have to tuck it in when lowering the top but i have used it for many trips and have had more good times in it you learn to live with the quirks.and make the best of it....while i still own it I have been looking for the last 3 years and have not even seen anything comparable for sale as cheap as i picked up mine for...it is up for sale but i will keep using it until I get my price and will probably regret getting rid of it because I whont be able to find anything else ...buy used and cheap fix the little problems as they arise if you are handy and enjoy it till something better comes along...at least you will have done some camping rather than sitting at home scouring the used camper adds.....JMHO.

Spencinator

Adventurer
Good point. I am going to look for a used camper and fix to my liking. I live in the boulder area and there are pop tops everywhere so I shouldn't have a problem finding a good used camper.

basfire

More Bronco Comments!

I too bought a brand new 2005 Bronco 1500 9.5'. My previous popup was a 1984 Viking, purchased in 1994, basic model but traveled with the family on many epic trips for 10 years. My wife wanted a full bath and a queen size bed. The Bronco had a reasonable price here in NorCal but I purchased one new in Montana for $2,500 less. $8,300 total with no sales tax, sweet! Bottom line: I agree with all above comments as fit and finish on exterior and interior is crappy at best. It may be good for most RVR's who stay on pavement and use it a couple times per year. I take many fishing, hunting, and family trips throughout the year and I knew it would not last. Sold it in better shape than new last year and purchased a pristine used Northstar 1000. The quality of the Northstar is where every other manufacture should strive for.

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
The absolute best thing about a Palomino pop up camper is that they do not have any resale value. Bad for the original buyer, but great news for the subsequent buyers.

I just bought a 1998 Bronco 1200 in great shape for $1500. Everything works great and the interior is like new. The exterior is a 8 out of 10, but needs no work. Just a couple dents.

Like you, I'm horrified at the construction and the wiring is simply amazingly bad. I can't imagine even considering paying $18 large for this thing. But then again, I think ALL pickup truck campers are outrageously over priced. I went to an RV dealer and had sticker shock at upwards of $30,000 campers. No engine, no transmission, no tires, no brakes, no suspension. An aluminum or fiberglass box with a bit of paneling and some cushions.

I plan on using this camper for a few years and like my last camper (which cost $500 and I used for over 10 years) when I'm done with it, take it to the land fill and push it off the truck after gutting it and selling all the components for more than I paid for the camper. A very sound financial way to get into truck camping............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78