Postponed.... The sequel to the Maya Rally 2012 -> The 2013 Alaska Rally!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am sure most of you are aware, and maybe even a bit jealous, of all the fun we've had on the Maya Rally (see video below)...

:sombrero:

I have been asked by many people if we are going to repeat it this year.

So I have been brainstorming with a few people, including Karl (a.k.a Containerized), Grecy and Bryon, about doing an Alaska version of the Rally this year.

The initial concept that we came up with is the following:

Meet up around Seattle for a "departure" party (or elsewhere), then drive through BC/Yukon, go to Anchorage for the Solstice Festival (June 22nd), then up to Prudhoe Bay for a "Top of the World" party (or alternatively the "Top of the World" highway). The Rally will follow the same idea - a scavenger hunt around a specific theme, a lot of fun activities along the way, and a big gathering at the end for the teams who finish. Obviously the actual route still need to be defined.

So I am curious to hear what you guys think? Who would be interested in joining?

Some concerns have been expressed, and I am trying to see if they are manageable:

-too much driving
-too many mosquitoes
-not enough time between now and June to plan
-too many RVs on the road and full campsites...

Let me know your thoughts!

[video=vimeo;58236774]http://vimeo.com/58236774[/video]

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
sounds like an interesting idea...for me too much driving...

just a thought...how about something more state-specific? Maya rally--Utah style? Maya rally-Colorado style?

ol' scott

Adventurer
Sounds fun but for me there isn't enough time to plan. Next year this idea would certainly have my ear.

4xdog

Explorer
Love the idea, but time away would conspire against it. Now a "Great Divide" expedition, like the Land Rover one from the 80s, I might be in for!

Don

djsixbillion

Adventurer
Love the idea, we have been planning a similar trip. More of a lead to arrange time off, etc. would be good, and fall or spring are supposed to be the best times for viewing the aurora, but if this really comes together we would try hard to make it.

aka rover

Adventurer
It's a good idea
Yes there is bugs in Alaska but there not going to kill you .

As far as RVs on the road there will be but can't imagine they will be a problem you just drive around.

As far as camp grounds go there is thousands of acres of free camping in Alaska as well as Canada .

As far as distance is it any further to Alaska than Bacalar ?

I think keeping the event remote would keep it elite .

Hope you guys do another one !!

Ed

I would love to but could only swing two weeks off around that time. That would give me enough time to drive up and back but not much sightseeing or enjoyment in the drive as that is over 7000 miles to cover in that time frame.

Perhaps a North American rally or smaller regional rallies sponsored by the different chapters and held around the same time frame so people can attend one or several as they wish?

Kevin

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Has anyone looked into doing a trip using the trans America trail sections... Something more central like Colorado etc may make it easier for people to get to.. I like the great divide idea also... Being a land rover nut I would be all over that as well... Oh, and working is for suckers...lol..;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan