Joinin' the Montero Club with a Gen 2.5

jlocster

Explorer
Last Chance Gulch and Hungry Valley Off Road Park, Part II

Went back through Last Chance Gulch in Mojave a few weeks ago after initially running the trail with nwoods, billygoats and a few other ExPo folks.

Coming down off the V-notch bypass...again.

Mojave Sunset
IMG_0070.JPG

Then, last weekend I went back out to Gorman and the Hungry Valley OHV Park. Tried my hand at a few black diamond trials...only to be thwarted midway through all of them.

IMG_0076.JPG

Inspectigating
IMG_0079.JPG

No Go...looked steeper in person.
IMG_0083.JPG

Vic's Cat Trail...this one got freakin' steep, too.
IMG_0087.JPG

West Freeman Trail is a cool slotted canyon but also a dead ender for full size vehicles.

Night shot after airing up.
IMG_0114.JPG

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice!

BTW, that steep trail in Gorman is definitely doable. We've taken a group through it with near stock vehicles (just armor upgrades). It does provide some pucker factor but it's definitely doable. In this case the saying "when in doubt... Gas her out" definitely applies.

That box canyon looks like fun. Was especially funny hearing your passenger constantly exclaim her concerns through the canyon.

jlocster

Explorer
Operation Disco Inferno Complete

I finished red LED-izing the interior. Tutorial here. The only problem is that dang dash clock. I might have to get out a red Sharpie and get to coloring.

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
I might have to get out a red Sharpie and get to coloring.

You can probably put a little strip of red film over it. The kind of stuff they use on studio lights. pretty cheap, you can buy it online for under $10, or I'm sure you can find a place around LA that has scraps of it for even cheaper.

jlocster

Explorer
Snow Wheelin'

Took the Jawbone Canyon/Piute Mountain Road pass from Mojave to Lake Isabella last Friday night. Probably not the best idea to go it alone, but I made it. The 55 mile route climbs from Jawbone Canyon on the Mojave side, up to 8000 ft, and then drops back down into the Isabella Valley. It was a combination of snow and frozen mud/ice as the temps went down to 29 degrees F. The road itself was well graded and passable, but slippery, so I took it nice and slow. All told it took about 5 hours.
IMG_0319.JPG

Lonely. Road.
IMG_0320.JPG

On Saturday I tried to make it up to Monache Meadows from Lake Isabella. I got a bit past Sherman Pass before I came across a guy in an F250 who got stuck trying to get a 2nd Chevy of his unstuck. Both trucks were blocking the road. After about an hour, myself and a guy in a Tundra were able to get the F250 out. The Chevy was left there. At that point I decided to turn it around and abandon Monache Meadows.

On the way up to Sherman Pass.
IMG_0326.JPG

Following the tracks
IMG_0324.JPG

Mount Whitney left of center, from Sherman Pass
IMG_0329.JPG

Then I decided I wanted to see what the Jawbone Canyon/Piute Mountain Road looked like in the daytime so today I drove it back the other way, from Lake Isabella to Mojave.

Coming up from Lake Isabella
IMG_0336.JPG

Road was slushy and muddy in the daytime
IMG_0340.JPG

Weird structure
IMG_0346.JPG

Back down on the Mojave side
IMG_0352.JPG

No worse for wear
IMG_0354.JPG

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Shooting light all around you like a UFO.

But seriously, that sorta driving freaks me out if I do it alone. Cold, far, alone. Yikes!
But then that's what adventure is all about, yes?

jruba

Adventurer
I just finished it in one seating , and it was great ! awsome build , im checking out a 99 gen 2.5 montero tomorrow and see what happens ..

jlocster

Explorer
Good luck jruba, whether you pick that one up or another, I think you'll really enjoy the platform...super stout, very capable, plenty roomy and decent fuel economy.

jlocster

Explorer
Dual Tire Carrier Swing-out Build

So I bought a new welder and I wanted to use it. Plus, I'm planning to drive the Dalton Highway to Prudoe Bay next summer so I want to be able to carry a second spare.

Removed the stock bumper
WP_20140108_001.jpg

Started cutting off frame ends
WP_20140108_007.jpg

Using 2x6 3/16" steel for the bumper body
Going to retain the stock recovery point
WP_20140109_001.jpg

WP_20140109_003.jpg

Tacked up
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Test fit